• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

weapon mounted light

zach12

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
oklahoma
I am wanting to put a mounted light on my m4 was wonding on witch one. I'm leaning towards streamlight. Also want to put on some optics its between aimpoint and vortex. Thanks

Re: weapon mounted light

Depends on what you want to do with it...

Optics:

I run an Aimpoint H1 on a dedicated 9mm SBR AR15. Works great in-close. Not so good for distance.

I run a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on a 300 blackout AR. Great for close to intermediate ranges (out to a couple hundred yards).

Take a look the Leupold Mark AR series. Good quality at reasonable prices. I think some of the newer models have tactical windage and elevation adjustments if that's important to you. I use one of the older 1-4 1" diameter models on a 7.62x39 AR. Works great for hog hunting (usually 50-125 yards)

Lights:

I tend to follow a brighter-is-better policy, but I use the lights for night hunting hogs. Not home defense or CQB type of situations.

I've had great luck with Surefire. Cost a bit more but seem to be worth it. Surefire E2D is a good one and the Defender P2x fury is crazy bright. Reminds me of old school Q-beams.

Hope this helps

I've had a few of the TLRs from stream light. They haven't let me down yet. Good quality/price I think. You can find em used here randomly or grab one off eBay on auction.

Also on optics I would go either aimpoint or a nice 1-4 depending if u need magnification. I have a trijicon tr24g and I am in love with it. 1x is awesome. So easy to use two eyes for up close and 4x is great for the longer shots. No batteries either.

I am not a fan of extra weight or bulk, so my preferences tend to reflect that. I really like the Surefire Mini Scout, and I replace the mount with a Larue offset. Recently I acquired one of the new Surefire x300 Ultra's, and it is much brighter (500 lumens vs 110,) and it weighs a hair less.

I do a fair bit of shooting at night but not much past 40 yards or so. I have yet to shoot the Ultra, but I have compared it to the Scout and it is noticible. That said, in the shooting I have done, 110 lumens was more than enough to get the job done.

I have a surefire on my HD Scattergun. Very bright, dependable....but a bit pricey

Surefire scout 300 or 600. light and slim. Can use a pressure pad with constant on or momentary or a "clickie" tailcap. Hard to beat surefires quality.