• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

weatherby 300 mag and COAL

Early Cuyler

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
WB, GA
So my dad has an elk gun in 300wby mag and I figured I would reload some shells for him. However when I use my Hornady OAL gage (sliding plunged forward gently until the bullet touches the lands) I get a COAL of 3.860" with the bullet barely inserted into the case. From reading here it seems a .02" offset is a good starting point but that doesn't resolve that issue.

I also measured the magazine length at 3.750" (limiting factor) but that is still more than .2" longer than factory loads (3.546"). I am using the same bullet to measure as the factory loads.

So my question is this: why is there such a large disparity between the magazine and factory load lengths compared to the measured OAL of the rifle? Won't this jump cause a drop in accuracy? Or am I going about this all wrong?

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving.

Re: weatherby 300 mag and COAL

Weatherby rifles in particular have a very long freebore. Seating to touch the lands or get close is generally not possible as like you said the bullet isn't seated deep enough in the case. I load to 3.560" for 165, 180, and 200 grain bullets. The long freebore is to reduce pressure. When using Federal, Remington, or other non-Weatherby cases reduce loading levels as Fed and Rem have less case capacity. Just load to bullet company recommended length or Weatherby recommended lengths.

thanks, rg1. I was planning on loading to just under the BDL mag length (~3.740") but I'll go with the factory length.

Hey I used to have a 300 WthBy many years ago, I was going through some boxes in my garage and found 40 rounds of cleaned wetherby original brass that I had with the rifle. Most of it is once fired maybe twice fired and deprimed. I have no use for it I would give it to you for the cost of shipping. Let me know email me at [email protected]..... I used to use 180 gr Nosler Partitions for deer, what a shoulder cannon whew!