• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby Vanguard or Savage 10FP

nvhunter2

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2008
I am having a hard time deciding. I would like to get the most accurate rifle for long range that I can afford. I know they have very different barrels. Which would more accurate out to 1000 yards. I know a heavy barrel is better for sustained fire but in the field would it be better to have a lighter rifle? Or is the heavy barrel just better all around? Or is there a better rifle in the $600.00 range?

Re: Weatherby Vanguard or Savage 10FP

I can't give you info on the Savage, but I own a Vanguard in 7mm mag. I have not legged it out, however. The action is basically a Howa 1500 which is a great action. The big drawback is the lack of hot rod parts for it. I was contemplating a build with it but opted to buy a Rem. 700 .308 ADL from a buddy. Good luck.

The Howa 1500 FTW! I'm so happy with both of mine. I bought the barreled action off gun broker and added a B&C stock

I love the actions on the weatherby's but for a rifle that you intend to do any mods to stay away and look at your savage or remmy.

Very happy with my howa. I have no experience with savage.

all work done by mark at short action customs.

lap the lugs
od green cerakote
little bastard brake
bed the b&c stock
base, scope and rings

i also added a timney trigger

avd

DSC_0127-1.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg

For a very accurate, reasonably-priced, easily upgraded long range rifle I don't see how you can beat the plain old Savage 10FP. I've seen them new for as low as $649. I don't own one but I compiled a ton of info on 10 series Savages, Howa Varmints, And Remington 700 models and I'm telling ya, you won't find another tactical rifle for anything close to that kind of money that will consistently beat it out of the box. Dicks has the 10FCP XPs on sale right now for $669 where I live.

I had no trouble finding parts, upgrades or someone to work on the Howa. The gun was 495.00 at carters country. Pictured is the same gun i posted above, after mods, improvements, upgrades. Also pictured are the targets from when i was breaking in the barrel. I used some reloads for my TC and i was cleaning the barrel between each shot.

The gun shot moa out of the box with an inexpensive scope, rings and generic reloads.

Timney from midway. b&c from stockys stocks. egw base from legacy. tps rings from brownells. little bastard from apa.

SAC installed the brake, cerakoted, lapped the lugs, bedded the stock, bolt knob.

I dont have any experience with Savage. But the Howa is well made, mine was moa out of the box and parts are easy to find.

CDI has the bottom metal which i will be ordering soon.

avd

DSCN0026.jpg
DSCN0027.jpg

savage. but i think the 10pc is accustock? if so, make sure you like the stock as there are no aftermarket choices to utilize that system as of yet.

Howa, same as Weatherby. Got mine on sale for $425 OTD a few years ago. I think they call it the Ranchland Compact now. Recently bought the CDI bottom metal also, but have not completed the install.

My vote is Savage. Wait Howa. No, no, get a Remington. Maybe a Winchester. What about a Sako, or a Ruger, or.....

Savage all the way. Besides being able to change your own barrels at will, with more and more high quality barrel makers having pre-fit barrels available, so no need to wait 6 weeks to 6 months for a blank and then have your gunsmith thread and chamber it. And then they are the largest selling rifle line in the US, maybe the world these days.

More and more accessories available all the time and no need to hunt for a gunsmith that does metric stuff. Not as common as one would hope, but maybe you are luckier than I am at finding people that work on metric stuff. Oh how the times they have changed!

Get the one you like. I have a Savage 110FP and it shoots very well, but I have been looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA Varmint.

Savage 10FP. Ran mine to beyond a 1000 with no problem. Great rifle. I took this one at 945 yards.

uvs090211-002.jpg

If you are just getting started, have you considered one in the fast twist .223. Will still run to 1000 but cost a lot less to feed and let you spend more time behind the trigger.

Good luck,
JamieD
Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">savage. but i think the 10pc is accustock? if so, make sure you like the stock as there are no aftermarket choices to utilize that system as of yet. </div></div>
There is NO difference in the action used in the 10PC.
It is a standard, DBM, short action Savage. The stock is what is different.
Any aftermarket stock the will fit the short action DBM, will fit the 10PC.

true, but you loose the advantages of the accustock. that being the case, why pay extra for the accustock feature and then discard the stock? just save the money you pay for the accustock over the non-accustock and get an fp or fcp and either restock or pay extra for a McM, HS or choate from the factory

http://www.savagearms.com/accuracy/accustock/