• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby Vanguard

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
How would a weatherby vanguard in .308 compare to a Remington 700 SPS Varmint or a Savage 10 FP or FCP for accuracy?

Re: Weatherby Vanguard

Personally... I'm not all that impressed with Weatherby's accuracy. And the Vanguard is the "cheap" one... isn't it?

This a "cheap" Howa group, right out of the box, during break in.

8.jpg

Yea, Yea... I know. There's always going to be exceptions. I have a cheap Yugo AK47 that will hit an 18"X18" gong at 300yds consistantly with open sights. But that doesn't mean ALL $400 AK47's are that accurate. Not tryin' to piss in anyone's cornflakes or start a shit-storm over this. Weatherby's are generally very nice looking rifles. The old ones are works of art. But generally they don't do much better than 1.5MOA. I wouldn't want to do a dis-service to anyone here by saying: "Weatherby's are Great... Accurate as hell right outa the box. You won't be disappointed!" That's just not been my experience.

The Wby Mark V's have freebore, which is why most people feel they can't get accuracy out of them. I'm not sure if the Vangards have it or not. I've owned a couple Wby's and all have shot well.

Shawn

I own several vanguards (Howa actions) and 700s. The only thing better about the 700 is the available accessories IMO. The howa has a better extractor/one piece bolt (no handles breaking off)/a huge recoil lug as part of the action instead of a washer/in general better machining (opinion), you can get new action screws at the hardware store - torx/hex/whatever turns you on.

Just my opinion, gents. But I will say its hard to find someone that owns both and prefers the remmy.

I have the WalMart Weatherby, I was told it was some kind of special edition WalMart exclusive. It has the light brown with black web stock and only came in .30-06. The stock isnt as flismy as the standard black one. It does a solid 1.25" at a 100yds with good as in expensive Federal ammo. The trigger sucks and theres not a damn thing you can do to one to fix it. You have to buy a replacement, the front base also needs a shim under it.

Other than that Id buy em all day for the $318 I paid at Wal Mart for it.

Weatherby Vanguards come out of the box with a very well made and designed action. These actions are also great for building precision rifles from.

reloading3-600x450.jpg

cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they fuck the shit outta anything they do hit! </div></div>

+1, Mule deer at 300 yards with .257 Weatherby blew a whole I could put my fist through.

Also, the new rifles have an excellent trigger from the factory. One I got back in 2002 sucked. The new ones (think they started in 08) are adjustable from 2-4 pounds coming out of the box at 3. Try it before you buy it to be certain its a newer model. Just got a new SA from Sportsmans Warehouse for $400.

The Vanguard barreled actions , prior to the sub-MOA designation, that shot under MOA at the Howa factory in Japan were given a different composite stock as compared to the plain black one once they arrive in California. Later on Weatherby came up with a way to charge even more for their sub-MOA rifles by replacing the floor plate with Sub-MOA cartoons on ‘em. Each rifle comes with the target shot with the barreled action.

Keep in mind if you were going to rebarrel your Howa or Weatherby the receiver threads are a metric pitch and not every smith wants to or has their lathe tooled up for metric jobs.