• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver 34mm 6-30x56 Tactical Scope

cnwrobb

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2008
Central Illinois
Hey guys. Weaver has stepped up it's game. Midway is offering this

Weaver Tactical Rifle Scope 34mm 6-30x 56mm SmartZero Side Focus First Focal Illuminated IMDR Reticle Matte
Product #: 829478 Weaver #: 800390 UPC #: 076683803900
0.0Be the first to Write a Review

$1,699.99
Ready to ship
FREE SHIPPING

Features
"SmartZero" mechanical Zero Stop
5X magnification range
First Focal Plane retical
Side Focus
Illuminated IMDR reticle with 5 red and 5 green settings

The flagship Tactical scope from Weaver optics is here. Designed with tactical shooters in mind, the Weaver Tactical Rifle scope has many features including a 5X range of magnification, "SmartZero" Zero Stop, Illuminated First Focal ranging reticle, Side Focus and a 34mm tube which allows 80 MOA of elevation and 40 MOA of windage adjustment. All of these features make for one great scope.

Technical Information

Tube Diameter: 34mm
Adjustment Click Value: .1 MIL
Adjustment Type: Click
Exposed Turrets: Yes
Finger Adjustable Turrets: Yes
Turrets Resettable to Zero: Yes
Zero Stop: Yes
Turret Height: High
Fast Focus Eyepiece: Yes
Lens Coating: Multi-coated
Warranty: Lifetime Lifetime warranty
Rings Included: No
Sunshade Included: Yes
Sunshade Length: 4"
Lens Covers Included: Yes
Power Variability: 5
Min power: 6x
Max power: 30x
Reticle Construction: Glass-etched
Illuminated Reticle: Yes
Battery Type: CR2032 3V (1)
Holdover reticle: Yes
Reticle Focal Plane Location: 1st
Parallax Adjustment: Side Focus
Finish: Matte
Water/Fogproof: Yes
Shockproof: Yes
Airgun Rated: No
Objective Bell Diameter: 56mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 1.715"
Eye Relief: 3.58-3.62"
Max Internal Adjustment:
Elevation: 80 MOA
Windage: 40 MOA

Exit Pupil Diameter: 8.2-1.9mm
Weight: 40.1 oz

Field of View at 100 Yards:
9.36' @ 6x
1.86' @ 30x

Dimensions, in inches unless otherwise stated:
A: 14.5
B: 6.61
C: 2.05
D: 2.7
E: 4.8
F: 3.25
G: 2.56
H: 1.715

Field of View at 100 Yards:
9.36' @ 6x
1.86' @ 30x

Very interesting, but the stated field of view numbers are TERRIBLE. Now it seems to be so common as to be normal for a new Weaver scope to be released with inaccurate specifications, so I am going to hope and guess that those numbers are wrong. If they are correct, end of interest.

Other than that - nice to see Weaver upping their game, but I would have a hard time spending $1700 on a Weaver. Yeah, coming from someone who has spent $1k on a Bushnell, which used to have a similar or worse reputation. Maybe I'll be convinced otherwise. But the street price of this scope is the same as was suggested for the US-made Steiner 5-25x56mm when it comes out this fall, and I don't need a millisecond to choose between those two options at the same price.

Sorry I can't post the pics

Picture -
829478.jpg

Kind of interesting how Weaver brought these to the market - apparently readily available - with little fanfare, while we're all still waiting on the latest/greatest from Burris & Vortex.

The 1st & 2nd scopes I owned 45+yrs ago were Weavers, and I've still got a few of the more recent models, even though I much prefer to shoot behind my Kahles K624i AMR. I'd like to have the opportunity to handle, look through, & shoot with this newest scope, just so I could form my own opinions of it.

I like the 3-15x50, and feel it's an excellent value so I have nothing against Weaver. However, at $1700 I feel Weaver is out of their league. For $1000-$1200 this would be an interesting option for some.

Hope the FOV numbers are wrong. I like the length at under 15", and looks like these are 10 mils/rev as opposed to 5 as on the 3-15x50.

Weaver really needs to work on their reticles. Even on this new model, the reticle doesn't have half mil marks in between the center and first mils. I don't know about you guys, but most of my wind holds are between 0 and 1 mil. I have the 3-15 and it is a decent cheap scope, but they sure half ass there reticles.

I just saw this also on Midway and I'm interested but I agree their reticles kinda suck and I think $1700 is a bit pricey for a Weaver. I am looking at $1520 for a new Bushnell ERS on Amazon or a demo Razor HD at Cameraland for $1600... This is the the reticle:

0220bff5fa9784e35f5419039d6ac147.jpg

Last edited:
I like the 3-15x50, and feel it's an excellent value so I have nothing against Weaver. However, at $1700 I feel Weaver is out of their league. For $1000-$1200 this would be an interesting option for some.

Ditto. I also have a Weaver 3-15x50 (should have mentioned that) and for less than $700 I think it's a great deal, probably among the best at its price. Weaver also makes some very competitive scopes in the $300-500 range. BUT... from $700 to $1700 is a huge jump in price and expectations. I also hesitate because of their first-owner-only warranty and reports of inconsistent repair service.

I am actually really excited to look through one of these. I agree the price is a little high but it might be justified. Wont know until I handle the scope and compare it to the others I have. Different reticle options would be nice.
Here is the only video on the web at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaSTB5-twa0

One thing that I noticed from the picture above is that the elevation knob looks a lot like the SWFA SS 5-20 HD knob. If this scope was on the same level as the SWFA HD scope, it's probably a really good scope. I know this random thought posted, but just giving my $.02.

Would have to concur on the reticle design being somewhat more than slightly lacking in features. Even the plain EBR-1 on my Vortex PSTs are a big improvement over what Weaver's been offering. Another thing - you gotta pay attention when you're ordering one of the 3-15x50 tacticals from Weaver, as they make one model with mil dot reticle/MOA knobs. I got their model #800362 instead of the #800363, which has mil/mil reticle/knobs. Hopefully, I think they've discontinued the mil/MOA model like mine.

Does everything have to say tactical on it? Ffs

The "Poseur Supreme" line didn't score as well with focus groups.

"Not your daddy's benchrest scope" was too long and smelled faintly of Oldsmobile and nursing homes.

So finally they tried "Really cool precision scope with features that would be useful if you were doing military-style things, but of course you aren't, because to do them or claim to do them if you're not military would be totally ghey, so instead this is our super special precision scope for people who aren't military and aren't ghey, but also aren't benchrest shooters, but are shooting much like benchrest shooters, except without the benchrest."

Then the ad agency committed group suicide, and here we are.

I think light optical works makes their stuff. Probably on the same level as the bushnell 3-21 tacitcals that they make. 1700 puts it a bit high up there in Razor territory though and they have a ton of reticule choices + proven track record. Unless someone gives it a glowing recommendation, uses it to win a comp I doubt they will sell very many.

Another Weaver 3-15 Tactical user here (2 of them, in fact), and as others have mentioned, it's a pretty respectable bang for the buck. That said, for less than $200 more (street price), the Burris XTR-II will likely be my next scope purchase.

I have to admit that I AM looking forward to seeing reviews of the new Weaver piece, though.

I just saw this also on Midway and I'm interested but I agree their reticles kinda suck and I think $1700 is a bit pricey for a Weaver. I am looking at $1520 for a new Bushnell ERS on Amazon or a demo Razor HD at Cameraland for $1600... This is the the reticle:

0220bff5fa9784e35f5419039d6ac147.jpg

Scott at Liberty Optics has the ERS for $20 less, add it to your cart to see the price.
Specials, Demos, Trades

Wow, thanks!!!

Scott is just one of the great vendors that support the Hide.
It's generally recommended that you call the vendors to get the "Hide" price.
Probably worth your time to call Scott and see even though his web price is fantastic.
He's also a good guy to BS with, very personable.

The "Poseur Supreme" line didn't score as well with focus groups.

"Not your daddy's benchrest scope" was too long and smelled faintly of Oldsmobile and nursing homes.

So finally they tried "Really cool precision scope with features that would be useful if you were doing military-style things, but of course you aren't, because to do them or claim to do them if you're not military would be totally ghey, so instead this is our super special precision scope for people who aren't military and aren't ghey, but also aren't benchrest shooters, but are shooting much like benchrest shooters, except without the benchrest."

Then the ad agency committed group suicide, and here we are.
Hahaha

A Weaver for $1700 seems high to me when for about $300 more you can get a NF ATACR (except it is SFP) as I did when Optics Planet just had a sale. I had nothing but problems with my Weaver scopes and ended up ( having sending them back to manufacturer who found nothing right) keeping them in my closet. Maybe the Tactical is that greatly improved but I would rather get a NF (even a NXS) for that money. Even with a first focal plane I would rather have a NXS NF.

hsjff

Well, we know ATK owns Weaver, we also know they just bought Bushnell, we saw Bushnell step up, 34mm tubes, wide power range, newest in the "tactical" style line being the XRS 4.5-30x50, which I own. We know these 4.5-30's lose light above that 25x range, it's noticeable, though still very useable.

So now we have Weaver, they held back a little on the magnification range, still went to 30x though, even when everyone else went 5-25, they stepped up the objective bell and went 56mm, something I wish Bushnell had done, the weaver also has a 34mm tube and adds a feature over the Bushnell with illumination.

The weaver has a zero stop, though I see no mention of lockable turrets.

To me, it looks like maybe they talked with their now brother company... But maybe not.

Now, just like with Bushnell we know these assholes that talk about their $200 bushy/weaver and how it was cheap and broke...bla bla bla, and then decide to write off these higher end lines are naive.

My bet, it maintains its glass quality throughout the range due to the smaller mag range and bigger bell, I think they took on what they knew they could chew.

Seeing the reviews of the 3-15 & 4-20's throughout the years, they don't seem to be breakers and the glass has been noted as better than pst, being right in that bushy tactical, Sightron SIII area.

For me, sure $1000 would've been nice, but if a guy doesn't mind the reticle, I would bet it's not a bad buy at $1500-$1700, is the Bushnell XRS the better buy... Do you need illumination, do you need lockable turrets, do you want the bigger mag range of the xrs, or do you want, what I'd bet is a little better optical performance up at that max power...

A side by side with this, the xrs, the new 5-25 Burris and Steiner's would be interesting, I would bet it holds its own in all categories but the reticle. I also bet the new razors beat all these optically and deserve their extra price tag.

But maybe not, this is all just speculation at the moment.

Brett, Dittos. Would love to be able to walk into a gun shop somewhere and do a side-by-side on the ones you listed. I've got a Weaver 30mm 3-15x50/#800362, along with a couple Vortex 6-24x50 PSTs, several Sightron SIII 6-24x50s, a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 GZA, and one Kahles K624i AMR. If money were no object, I'd pay it down for another Kahles or two....but money's always an object, so I'm up for taking a look through those scopes you listed. I'd probably be happy with the Bushnell 4.5-30x50XRS - even if I had to keep it set at 25x instead of 30x - if it tracked as well as my 3.5-21x50GZA.

But even though I've defended Weaver's quality/price point position before, I'd have a hard time laying that sort of money down unless/until they come out with a better choice of reticles.

You all do realize that Weaver just took the old Blackhawk (Cabela) tactical line and changed it to Weaver. This design has been around for several years. I'm just repeating what one can search in the forum. I do have the Weaver plain mildot 30mm 4-20x50 and it is accurate and holds zero. The fact that it was basically tested under the Blackhawk brand is a good indication that is a workable design. Maybe even improved upon.

I swear some companies must hire extremely old people to design their reticles. The kind of people who think the Duplex reticle was going too far.

"whennn...whhenn...cough...cough... the mab shot Kennydey they used a plain crosshair you damn youngun"

You all do realize that Weaver just took the old Blackhawk (Cabela) tactical line and changed it to Weaver. This design has been around for several years. I'm just repeating what one can search in the forum. I do have the Weaver plain mildot 30mm 4-20x50 and it is accurate and holds zero. The fact that it was basically tested under the Blackhawk brand is a good indication that is a workable design. Maybe even improved upon.

atk who owns weaver contracted with cabelas to make blackhawk tactical 4-20x50 and 3-15x50 scopes which were rebranded weavers.

I really think the Weaver 3-15x50 is one of the best scopes out there in it's price range (I have four of the Blackhawk branded ones), and if this one has the same quality it will be extremely interesting. I do agree that, price wise, it's a pretty big jump from the 30mm models and seems a little on the high side.

Still want to check one out though.

So at $1,248.90 that is only $50 more than the Burris XTR II 5-25x50.

Is the glass in the XTR II Japanese? I know the XTR II scopes are assembled in the Philippines.
I have heard that the XTR II turrets are a little mushy, so I will be curious to compare the new Weavers Turret adjustments.

I know the previous Weaver Tactical scopes are made by Light Optical Works in Japan, so I am going to assume that this new model will be too.

Weaver and Burris is making this scope race very interesting. Makes you wonder if the sales staff at ATK had a meeting about the Burris offerings and then decided to change the Weaver game plan.

The glass is very good. red/green illum, it has a min of 80 MOA (the one I played with had about 90). It's made in Light Optical of Japan. It was in the works before the Bushnell merger. The zero stop is very simply and robust. The reticle should have a half mil mark. Other reticles are in the works I've heard.

Other than the reticle, I like it quite a bit.

but weaver still has the worst customer service in the industry.

I just received my Weaver 6-30x56. I will be taking pictures and writing a short review soon. Initial impression is very good. This scope is definitely not in the same bracket as weavers other tactical offerings. A lot of scope for the money.

I just received my Weaver 6-30x56. I will be taking pictures and writing a short review soon. Initial impression is very good. This scope is definitely not in the same bracket as weavers other tactical offerings. A lot of scope for the money.

Very much looking forward to your impressions and pics. Also, let us know how you like the reticle (pics too?)... That's probably my biggest 'dislike' with this optic.

+1; I have the 30mm version with mil-dot reticle. Which I like BTW.

Very much looking forward to your impressions and pics. Also, let us know how you like the reticle (pics too?)... That's probably my biggest 'dislike' with this optic.

Sorry I have been super busy the past couple days. I am hoping to get some time with the scope tomorrow and take pictures.

Here are some pictures, Sorry they are of the scope on my unfinished build but its better than nothing I guess.

Here is my quick review.

Build quality: Excellent. I would not hesitate for a second to use this scope as a club if needed. All lines and markings are crisp and clear. Really cant complain about anything in this department. Very heavy.

Glass: Very nice in the usable power range. I would define usable to approximately the 6-28 power range. Anything past 28 gets a little cloudy but that is to be expected. You could still use it at 30x but I personally would not. Maybe I am to picky.
Extremely bright optic! Excellent color reproduction and contrast. Eye relief is generous even at the top of the range. Illumination is crisp and no bleed out of the reticle. I love the green illumination! Low light performance is very good. This optic gathers a lot of light. Sorry no reticle pictures I really feel they are not accurate no matter how good the photographer. Only comparison I have available at the moment is a Leupold MK4. I feel the Weaver surpasses the Leopold in clarity and contrast but that is subjective.

Reticle: I think they did a good job of sizing this reticle, At 6 power it is usable and it doesn't really start to get big until around 26+ power. Could it have better features... yes but it really is not that bad. This was my biggest concern.

Turrets: BIG step up from the previous weaver scopes. Zero mush to be found here. Nice and solid clicks that are audible. The windage turret was a little quieter than the elevation turret but with some use it is balancing out. Not quite as loud as S&B clicks but still very nice. It is very easy to adjust 1 click at a time. (something I was worried about) Sometimes on the cheaper tactical scopes I would turn 1 click further than I meant to. That doesn't happen on this scope. Very easy to reset the turret once zeroed and no tools needed to remove the turret cap.

Adjustment range: 28.5 Mils of elevation on this particular scope. 16 Mils of total Windage adjustment.

Side Focus: Very usable, You can really focus in on a object in the sub 400 yard range.

Tracking: Can't comment yet. If its the same as other weaver tactical scopes it should be very good.

Dislikes:
1. Wish 30x was as clear as lower powers.
2. I don't like the quarter slot for the illumination battery compartment.
3. Illumination could be a little fainter on lower settings. Might not be a good match for Night Vision attachments. It could be fine but without one to test I will reserve judgment.
4. I dislike that it has Tactical (left) and then Weaver (right) written on the objective.
5. Wish it would have come with lens caps. (small gripe, but after all Leupold includes them)

Over all I am very happy with this scope and I would buy it again. Hope this helps you guys and if you have any questions I will try my best to answer them.
~Justin

Last edited:
4. I dislike that it has Tactical (left) and then Weaver (right) written on the objective.

Thanks for the write up. As for the objective, I would wrap a strand of black duck around it so people with think it is a field battle rifle. The subterfuge won't last long but at first glance people will be like WTF? :) If it is anything like the 4-20x version it should serve well.

Thanks for the write up. As for the objective, I would wrap a strand of black duck around it so people with think it is a field battle rifle. The subterfuge won't last long but at first glance people will be like WTF? :) If it is anything like the 4-20x version it should serve well.

I have high hopes for its durability. And yes the tape would be a option haha. :)

Wow! 26mils!! Who needs a 20moa now? Looks promising!

This was a very nice surprise! Honestly Its one of if not the scopes strongest selling point. Weaver should market that feature better.
At this price its hard to pass up.
Weaver Tactical Rifle Scope 34mm 6-30x 56mm SmartZero Side Focus First

Its closest competitor is the Burris XTR II but I am pretty confident that the XTR II glass and build quality is not going to be on the same level as this weaver scope. Now if the Steiner USA scopes ever make it to the market then that would be a different story.
~Justin

Justin, what's the field of view like? The official specifications are for very narrow FOV, just 9.86ft at 100 yards at 6x, and 1.86' at 100 yards for 30x. I would expect more like 16-18' at 100 yards at 6x and maybe 3-3.5' at 100 yards at 30x. Can you estimate? Does FOV look typical of other scopes, or very narrow?

(FWIW, Weaver is notorious for having inaccurate specifications on their website.)