• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Weaver Base and Seekins Rings question

bh10

Minuteman
Mar 8, 2013
Georgia & NC
I picked up a Savage 10 PC, not to long ago. To start getting into shooting long distance. That being said it had a Weaver base on it and I through a Bushnell 6-24x40 and burris xtr rings on it. Well after shooting for a while I want a nicer scope on there so Im going with a Vortex PST FFP 4-16x50 scope and switching to Seekins rings, my xtr rings are letting the scope slide. So I have two questions, how is the Weaver base, good or should upgrade? Last with the Seekins rings, am I really anything with their 6/4 screw cap over a 4 screw cap? Thanks.

Get the standard 4 screw. It has all the clamping strength you need. It's what I run on my rifles and never had any slips.

Is the Weaver base a picatinny spec base? If not then the Seekins rings won't work on that base as the cross slots are a different size. It's a small amount but the cross slot on the ring will be wider than the Weaver slot. You can carefully file the slot a little bigger as some have but getting a new picatinny spec base would probably be best.

Get the standard 4 screw. It has all the clamping strength you need. It's what I run on my rifles and never had any slips.

Is the Weaver base a spec base? If not then the Seekins rings won't work on that base as the cross slots are a different size. It's a small amount but the cross slot on the ring will be wider than the Weaver slot. You can carefully file the slot a little bigger as some have but getting a new picatinny spec base would probably be best.
Yes the base is picatinny base, but I guess my question is, is it a good base, will I have any issues with it and keeping from holding zero?

I haven't had any issues with my base. The screws started backing out after about 200 rounds, but that was my fault for not applying loctite to the mounting screws. I have heard problems of the bases not mating 100% to the action and some users have had to bed the base for proper contact (Remington Action). I guess I was lucky since my Weaver base was pretty close to correct. (About 5 Thousandths off)

Last edited:
Weaver makes a decent product but lets be honest a base doesn't have alot of moving parts LOL That said if it isn't machined exactly to spec and you use a spec ring like the Seekins then you might have problems with it but I would try it first before replacing it. Also as mentioned the base to rifle contact should be checked but any small inaccuracy can easily fixed with a little bedding.

I haven't had any issues with my base. The screws started backing out after about 200 rounds, but that was my fault for not applying loctite to the mounting screws. I have heard problems of the bases not mating 100% to the action and some users have had to bed the base for proper contact (Remington Action). I guess I was lucky since my Weaver base was pretty close to correct. (About 5 Thousandths off)

Weaver makes a decent product but lets be honest a base doesn't have alot of moving parts LOL That said if it isn't machined exactly to spec and you use a spec ring like the Seekins then you might have problems with it but I would try it first before replacing it. Also as mentioned the base to rifle contact should be checked but any small inaccuracy can easily fixed with a little bedding.

Great, Thanks.

I have this same set up right now. Weaver base with Vortex/Seekins rings. I have it on a Savage and didn't need to do any bedding. So far so Good but only had it out twice for about 30rd through it.