• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Weaver EMDR or PST 6-24

edubya

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2010
North Mississippi
I have narrowed my choices down to these two scopes, but can't decide on which one would better suit my needs. If I go with the PST it will be the SFP model. I don't think what I will be doing with the scope, mostly non competitive paper punching and hunting, requires FFP, but I do see the benefits. My biggest concern is the magnification. I currently have access to a 600yd range with the possibility of that being extended to 1000 in a few years.

How useable is the PST's 24x setting? Do the conditions have to be just right, or is it usuable under most conditions?

Is the Weaver's 15x enough for shooting good groups at 600+?

Re: Weaver EMDR or PST 6-24

The Weaver 15x is capable of holding its own at 600 yards. I have a 20" .308 and that optic is not the limiting factor of the system. When you say "groups" how tight are you talking? I can see a 4" target marker (probably could see 3" maybe 2") at 600 on 15x. If I could shoot groups within 4" at that distance then the optic is still allowing me to hold sub 1MOA at 600.

With all of that said, a more capable shooter may feel 15x is insufficient. Most of the guys I shoot with are between 20x and 32x at 600. I'm likely upgrading to an optic with more magnification just to see how I like it but my shooting ability is yet to catch up with the Weavers limitations. (The glass is very nice BTW)

For casual shooting where you are not ranging or holding over on your reticle a lot, SFP may be a reasonable trade off for more magnification at the same price point.

If you haven't checked out Bushnell, you might wanna give them a look too. Good luck.

As much as I love the Weaver, for this application I think the 6-24 PST would be better.

John

If you don't mind SFP, then the PST SFP seems like a better deal. Comparable price but more magnification and good glass. Vortex glass is good and I think the reticle is nicer (the subtensions under 1mil are nice). the weaver starts its subtensions after 1mil...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fenwick253</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't mind SFP, then the PST SFP seems like a better deal. ..... </div></div>

I have had both PST 24x SFP and Weaver 15x EDMR. I liked:
- PST glass better
- PST reticle better
- PST knobs better

I would go Viper. My 2 cents...

I got to use one of the pst ffp yesterday. It wasn't no where near 600 yards as we just mounted it up on the guys new rifle. It was more clear than I expected. I would go with the 24x just because if you want more than 15 with the weaver you have to have a different scope. If 24 is too much because of mirage you can turn it down to 12 or 15 or whatever in between.

I have the the weaver and have used the 6-24 ffp vortex. I thought the vortex was to dark at 24 and the reticule to thick. The weaver is nice and bright on 15. I can see .30 cal bullet holes in paper at 300 yards and hits on steel at 1100 yards. I also like the open center of the weavers reticle for shooting paper.

Go with the Weaver if you plan to hunt with it. 3-15X is a good zoom range for hunting, 6-24X is too much magnification at the lower end.

OP,

I have the weaver tactical and its more than capable of getting real nice groups at 600 yards. I do most of my shooting out to 600 yards and 15 power is more than enough. I found myself using 7-8 power most of the time so i can stay on the target after the shot. Like another poster i can see the holes on paper out to 300 yards. The only reason i would go to the vortex would be if i thought wanted the scope to double as a spotting scope (and you think 24 power is enough) but I dont think it will help you get tighter groups together at 600 yards. You are getting a fine scope either way.

Both will be fine scopes, but I prefer the PST reticle and the fact that it offers higher magnification. It's like the pistol in the glovebox; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I've used my 16x PST beyond half a mile with great results, but i enjoy having extra magnification when there is little to no mirage. Additionally, the warranty is second to none on the PST and resale value is strong.

That being said, there is no right or wrong decision between the 2.

Other than price point, this is an apples to oranges comparison. A Vortex PST 4-16 would be a better direct comparison.

If you're asking specifically about the magnification issue, then I might also recommend you consider the Sightron SIII in 6-24 or 8-32, as I feel optically they are superior to both scopes.

I am leaning more towards the PST due to the higher magnification and you can't beat the Vortex warranty. I think I would want more than the Weaver's 15x.

For those of you with the PST, did you mount it with a flat or canted base?

Also, does anyone have these in stock?

Canted if you're going to a 1000yds. I thought the PST was just so so above 20X. Hard to find them in stock but heard the wait times are shorter. maybe Camera Land.

Cs tactical has some in stock I believe if not there is several forsale in the hide classified. Saw one for $700 something with to rings. They sale quick.

I've got both you cant go wrong with either. You can use the pst at 24x but I usually shoot the weaver and pst at 12x at @600 yards much easier to keep the reticle steady.

I'm fairly new to the longrange shooting but this forum has been a great place to learn. The PST is a popular scope on this board for a good reason, it works. We have a 1000yrd range that has a gong. The nice thing about the SFP is that at max setting, it doesn't obscure that much of the target. And at a 1020yds the gong looked relatively small target.

After looking through a few of the FFP, they were not for me. I like knowing that every time I look through the scope, the reticle doesn't change.

The pst has limited travel..while the weaver has 100 moa plus. I really like the overall package in the weaver and the power range is near perfect unless you are strickly bench rest shooting. U will definetly need a canted rail with the pst regardless of caliber.

I have both the 6-24pst, 3-15 (with MD not EDMR) and a 4-16pst. Not sure where you are in MS but I have all 3 of those and a SS in Corinth, MS. You are more than welcome to check it out making a side by side comparison for yourself.

The Weaver is nice but I prefer the Viper PST. We have the Weaver's, Vortex PST 6-24x50mm MOA FFP, and PST 4-16x50mm MOA FFP in stock.

Mike @ CST