• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes weaver scope ??

mlh29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Lafargeville, NY 13656
I have a buddy who intends to start shooting soon.
He has pretty much decided on a 700 in 308 although for his needs/ wants he may get a 223 for slightly cheaper ammo), possibly an ltr or sps tactical ( depending on cost as he will be upgrading to hs or b and c m40 style stock.

he feels his budget is under 250 for a scope.. I know.. buy once cry once etc.. I run leupolds, nightforce on my rifles, he isnt there yet...

I was pointing him towards either a bushnell elite 10x / ss 10x to start as he is on a budget.
I will be giving him warne 20moa pic rail and perm attach rings to get him set up.

He showed me this scope ad.. A weaver 3x12x44 tactical..
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/we...e.aspx?a=881932

does anyone have any experience with this scope.. seems to have features of all the tactical bs now, ut I am wondering about function/ zero repeatability etc... read reliable and trouble free.. As i want him to be able to refine skills/learn not ? gear constantly..

Any opinions/experience with this would be great..

Re: weaver scope ??

As far as I'm concerned, Weaver makes good stuff and that one appears to be on sale at a killer price. My only gripe would be that I believe that it has a mildot reticle, but the turrets are MOA.

I would call weaver. It is mostly made in China. Buyer beware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooper_257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a scope they just started offering. from what I understand it is made in China and lower quality than this scope.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=598484 there have been lots of good reviews on the 3-10 tactical grand slam scope and it is hard to beat for the money. </div></div>
I think this is the right one for a starter. In the future if he decides to upgrade, he won't lose too much money in resale, or he could just keep it for a good AR scope.
SScott

I did sme follow up on the above weaver. It is made in china,, to a lesser degree as the other waever tacticals which are made in Japan. O h I understand the rage of tactical/ cool etc. I prefer function/ reliability as I would rather have a new shooter learn what works not what looks cool..

Also he decided against the 700 p model as he found an older NIB 700 varmint bdl in wood/ blued in 223 for 450 to work with. I am just trying to help him get set up and going in the right direction..
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooper_257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a scope they just started offering. from what I understand it is made in China and lower quality than this scope.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=598484 there have been lots of good reviews on the 3-10 tactical grand slam scope and it is hard to beat for the money. </div></div>
I think this is the right one for a starter. In the future if he decides to upgrade, he won't lose too much money in resale, or he could just keep it for a good AR scope.
SScott </div></div> buy this one,they track and have great glass and are unbeatable for the money,I like the bushnell mil/mil for the money as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooper_257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a scope they just started offering. from what I understand it is made in China and lower quality than this scope.
SScott </div></div> buy this one,they track and have great glass and are unbeatable for the money,I like the bushnell mil/mil for the money as well </div></div>

I have this scope, and I am very happy with it. Everybody that has shot my rifle has commented about how clear it was. Would love a NF, Vortex or IOR, but I am paying for my daughters college. Maybe in another couple of years, but right now shooting time is important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mlh29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did sme follow up on the above weaver. It is made in china,, to a lesser degree as the other waever tacticals which are made in Japan. O h I understand the rage of tactical/ cool etc. I prefer function/ reliability as I would rather have a new shooter learn what works not what looks cool..

Also he decided against the <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline">700 p model as he found an older NIB 700 varmint bdl in wood/ blued in 223 for 450 to work with.</span></span> I am just trying to help him get set up and going in the right direction..
Thanks </div></div>

He didn't do hinself any favors saving a few dollars.
It is a fine rifle, but with a 1-12 twist.
No 69 grain or heavier match bullets in his fitire, he'll have to limit himself to 55 grains and below. poor selection for long range.

If he wants cheap glass that is clear, look here:
http://muelleroptics.com/mt451440

or here:
http://muelleroptics.com/mt41650igr

The weaver grand slam tactical linked above is an excellent scope and a steal when on sale.

could anyone else make out the pic of the reticle? It says "Weaver Bullet Drop Tactical Reticle." Interesting.

Is there a chart that shows where all (or most) of the Mfgs. scopes are made? It seems if they are made in China, few want them, they must be junk, this many people can't be wrong! What other, well known scopes MFGs are producing scopes in China? I guess we should all be aware, so as not to get any of this junk.