• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Weaver Tactical or Nikon Buckmaster

benson821

Gunsmith, NRL/PRS Competitor, Hunter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2010
Whitehall, MT
I'm looking at getting the Weaver Tactical 3-10 mil/mil over the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18. <span style="font-weight: bold">How are the scopes, anybody have any personal experience on them?</span>

I have already read the snipershide and sniper centeral reviews on the scope and it seems pretty good but I was wondering if anybody else has and experience with the scope??

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also does that Weaver have enough mag. to get me out to MAX of 600 shooting??</span> I would be shooting coyotes, pdogs, targets, bottles, steel, etc.

Re: Weaver Tactical or Nikon Buckmaster

shiet, for 600 yards, just use iron sights lol

jk. but really. even a 4x would be ok.

either will serve you well. I've been hearing alot of great things about weaver here, which is the brand I'll prolly be going with, so I'd say go for weaver

I've also been hearing good things about the Weaver (although I have never handled one) so I would probably go with that as well.

I have a Weaver 3-15 mounted on a 300 wm, and like it a lot. Go read jrob's review we did together.
We looked at resolution charts, compared features, clarity and other things to 2 other scopes.
As others have said- plenty of mag for 600 (rule of thumb is 1x/100 yds, so theoretically 6x would be plenty).

great scope for the $. call Scott at Liberty.

I like the Buckmaster. I do not have any time behind one, but I like it. I like the side focus. I do not like the fact that when I was looking for one with mildot, all I could find was 1/8 moa adjustment.

I have the Weaver tactical 3-10 mil/mil that you are also considering. I don't have much time behind it yet, but so far I really like it for the money. It is on a Savage 10FP in 308, and it will be the last scope for this rifle till college tuition is paid for. I personally think you will be happy with the Weaver.

Good luck with your decision.

So the way it sounds you guys like that Weaver over the Nikon.

Is the having no parallax adjustment on the scope a problem or does it not matter for shooting out to 600yds??

How is the glass on the scope?

Anybody have any pictures of this scope if so post them.

I have both and they are both great scopes for the money. I have the Nikon on my Rem 700 varmint in 223 and the Weaver on rem 700 varmint in 308

They are both very bright, and tracking is excellent.

The Nikon comes with 2 sets of turrets, sunshade, and scope caps. The side focus allows quick adjustment.

The Weaver feels a bit more rugged, has easy to read turrets, the mil/mil allows you to range your targets and adjust accordingly. Just no shade or caps. Since they are the same objective the Nikon shade fits them both.

PM me and I can send you some pics I took through the scope at 450Y, They are not the best because trying to take a pic through a scope is as easy as teaching a baby to use chopsticks.

The weaver 10x is a great scope. I have two of them on some 22LR training rifles (1022). The cal may be a deciding factor as well. You can hit pdog with the 10x. Also the weaver is made in Japan. If you do decide on the weaver, they are offering a free back pack on grand slam scopes.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/whatsnew/promotions/

John

I just noticed that this forum is doing a group buy from SWFA and they have a pretty good deal on the Super Sniper 10x42
here is the link i'm looking at: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-KIT-P50224.aspx

Would you think that the fixed 10x is too much zoom for shooting at 100 yards. (i will be shooting coyotes and plinking at misc targets.

I have the Nikon 4.5-14x and it's a good scope for the $$. I've never handled the Weaver but I swapped from a Leupold to the Nikon.

I am using the SS10X on some of my AR varmint rigs. They are great for hunting, however, for pdogs I would want more range in the scope. Maybe up to 16x.

John

If it's mainly a varmint rig get the nikon, if you want a more well-rounded "learner scope" then get the 3-10 weaver. Neither is ideal but they both do what they are supposed to.

I have a nikon 6-18 buckmasters on my varmint rifle and it works great.

I have the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 and it works great, good glass and magnification. I don't see hitting a Pdog at 600 yards with a 10X, but maybe my old eyes aren't that good....I prefer the higher magnification for smaller targets. Big steel targets are fine with 10x.

I own both . I have had the weaver 3x10 for some time now and can verify it is a robust optic . I was using it on my 458 socom to shoot 300 yds lol so if you need a mortar sight they are good to go . it is now mounted on my bushmaster v-match and I love it . I recently purchased a howa 1500 varmint supreme and just got the midway exclusive 6x18 with mil-dot reticule so I have not had a chance to get to the range but after mounting the scope I think I am going to really like the nikon for smaller targets at extended ranges.
For an overall general purpose scope the weaver is hard to beat , for hunting I like not having to fool with parallax adjustment and this scope fits the bill 3x for up close and 10x for the long range 300-400 yd coyote shot.
I will post a range report on the nikon in about a week.
here is a pic of 20 shots fired at 200 yds with sierra 60 grain varminters. yep the flyers are all on me
DSC_0049.jpg

I have a new Nikon Monarch 4-16 in mildot that I want to sell, but can't list here yet (not enough postings). If you are still looking, I'll get to 100 sometime soon.