• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weber Kettle finally died, Not looking for a $1000 charcoal grill

Frankly

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2018
Rural
I leave grills outside all Winter. I don't cover them or treat them with tender loving care. I know I should build a masonry state park type grill and be done with it but until I get around to it I've used a couple of Weber Kettle Grills, get a new one every decade, scrap it and paint it halfway through, replace grates and hobble along. I don't want a ceramic egg or a clone. I don't smoke. I just want to cook meat - burgers, chops, maybe some Salmon once in a while - in a reasonable amount of time after work without any BS but better than gas. Nothing creative here.

So... American made, a bit better quality than a $120 22" Weber but $300 is where I start to twitch.

Any options? Thanks

Picture is how I tell when the coals are ready.

20060311_fire_03112006_00002.jpg

Another 22” Weber..... perhaps a cover and a little TLC?........
I have that and a Genesis 310 with a side burner. I dont plan to buy another grill for a long time. Maybe a better smoker.....

Reactions: Frankly
I invested in a Weber propane grill about 10 years ago... I also grill all year around.

Charcoal is better... but propane is just... easier. And mostly, I use a cast iron griddle or pan anyway...

Weber is the best... worth it. Cost me 2x what Home Depot crap cost... but it's still working. Rebuilt burners a couple of times. But totally worth it.

As for the 'cheap' charcoal option... there are some 'steel' state park options like you see at rest areas and the like. Sit on a single post. May be in the $300 range, but if they last 10 years...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty...158941?hash=item33e79d031d:g:5VYAAOSwE21azXfo

We use something like this at deer camp. About twice as big. But you get the idea.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I’d recommend a green mountain. More of a smoker but crank it up and it turns out wonderful burgers and steaks and chops. Anything you could cook on a normal grill you can cook on one of these. Plus it’s a smoker for when you want ribs. But I’d also recommend covering it when not in use. You don’t want the pellets to get wet. I mean push a button and it’s on at the desired temp. Control it with ur phone if you want. Not a sales person just really impressed. And fairly cheap also.

There's nothing out there at the price point that can do what a Weber kettle can do. I've been turning out excellent food on them for years. Not to mention the number of attachments available for them, another kettle is a no-brainer.

Yeah... I know.

There are these but I've never seen one in real life: https://www.pkgrills.com/the-pk-grill-smoker-classic-silver/
I’ll be damned! That’s what I grew up watching my Dad cook on. I never even knew what it was, but that original PK is exactly what we had for the first 18 years of my life. The body never rusted (guess I know why now), but I’m pretty sure he did grate changes every few years. I’ve honestly never seen another one, and had no idea they still made them...

Reactions: Frankly
weber, indeed...

i am getting ready to re flavor bar and re other items on the grill...

now, this may be controversial, but, my dad found a electric weber grill at the road in his neighborhood. fucker was like new

we didnt have a grill, in between, so i took it from dad and even reluctantly used it, but we were so busy

at least we could grill some chow, i swear, those electric grills are great, love em, really

Char-Broil Commercial Infrared Grill. My Wife said, "That one..." in Lowe's about five years ago. year-round (not such a big deal here in So. AZ, but...). There's always a spare Blue Rhino tank handy.

Best steak's I've ever eaten.

Do it once, do it right, make the rest easy, too.

Greg

Another vote for a Pit Barrel Cooker. Decent as a grill, outstanding as a smoker (that works in half the time as a traditional smoker). Smoked tri-tip is to die for, and only takes 45mins. Whole birds (split in half) only takes an hour and a half. Hard enamel coated, made in the US, and started and owned by a former Navy Corpsman. Even did a 14lb turkey one year...3.5-4 hrs and it was done.

They also recommend to never clean it. :) A win/win...

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/