• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Weed Eater Recommendation

Gas Lawn Stuff is for Boomers...it's over.

VooDoo

i tend to agree. brushless motors are mature and have more than enough power. the issue was batteries and overall cost. not so much anymore. as for environmental savings...not really imo. all these millions of batteries and plastics will need to go somewhere...

One of these .
Why ?
One ,because your a man dammit !
Two ,because it's Merica!

2018-02-01-image-4.jpg

I used to work for a landscape construction / maintenance company with over 300 guys in the field. We did a lot of brush clearing on slopes and fuel modification work, (basically removing excessive shit that would burn in an effort to pacify the fire department that builders were putting up a ton of homes in places that like to burn from time to time).

To say our guys were blunt instruments would be a bit of an understatement - they absolutely beat on the equipment, and why not? They didn't own it and all we were looking for was results, i.e. clear as much brush as fast as you can.

We had the best luck with equipment from TMC Power Equipment. They are not the biggest company but they do make durable equipment that can be serviced.

Keep in mind as someone has already said, gas stuff needs to be run regularly or bad stuff happens to the carbs and fuel systems. If your equipment is going to sit, use a quality fuel stabilizer. All of the gas stuff works best when it is getting run regularly.

Also I would have a hard look at the electric options. I have a couple of buddies who work for Makita and they both are saying that there is new stuff on the way that is badass. I don't know exactly what that means but they both seem pretty excited about it. YMMV.

Good luck!

Reactions: mtrmn
Sounds like stihl it is, at this point I don't care about cost. It's worth the extra money to not have to deal with this every single year.
Buy ethanol free gas also it’s much better for all the components and will eliminate vapor locking if you work when it’s hot . I do I have a lawn service

Reactions: ma smith
I've been looking at the Milwaukee M18 trimmer with the quiklok system. You can get a pole saw, hedge trimmer, and a couple other attachments for it. I've already got a few batteries for my other Milwaukee tools and I'm sick and tired of working on my wife's weedeater so it'll be easy for her to start. This way she can plug a battery on it and pull the trigger.
I have a lawn service and I use a Milwaukee 18 vt.trimmer for most of my yards, with 8ah batteries it keeps up with the gas trimmers

Reactions: gigamortis
How is the trimmer head on the Milwaukee ?? The string trimmer head on the Ryobi sucks. I really like the plastic blades, but there really expensive for how long they last. The string head on my Husqvarna is great. I do have a few of the Milwaukee 18V, I am migrating back to Milwaukee on the cordless tools.
I have a lawn service and I am using a Milwaukee 18 vt trimmer keeps up with the gas trimmers and no vibration on my arthritic hands their version of a speed feed head works well also

I have my guys running Stihl FS94R’s. They’re very light, more than adequate power, and are their commercial line. You can buy their oil with it and get a doubled warranty. Not cheap at around $400 with the oil, but it will last eternally if you make sure to mix some fuel stabilizer in to the fuel.
This! It’s all we run!

The vibration on the gas trimmers can be solved by making sure the head is greased. A lot of people get STIHLs and don't do any maintenance. If you do the maintenance they will last for ever.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Stihl fs91r runs and starts like a champ but it was my dad's stihl blower which he gave me that turned me on to them no problems whatsoever.

Sounds like stihl it is, at this point I don't care about cost. It's worth the extra money to not have to deal with this every single year.
Sthil. Mine starts on the first pull and has power out the ass.

I work for a Stihl dealer even with the discount I won’t buy a trimmer chainsaw hell yes. I work on this stuff for a living.
I have a T242 that is on the 12 year and I just now did spark plug , air and fuel filter. It lives outside all summer. I use to mow yards on the side . Easiest head to string. Amazing power.
Same with all small engine drain the gas out every year, GET IT OUT OF THE CARB TOO!!!
Like said run good Fuel.
I make great money of lazy people and cheap fuel.

Reactions: MtnCreek
If you have some big Milwaukee batteries, get their M18 trimmer. We have one at work with the 8ah battery and it is nice compared to the wifes 40v Kobalt. I prefer gas so any of the pro models from stihl, echo, shindawa will serve you well.

Stihl has been using a 4 stroke engine(uses mixed fuel) on their trimmers and kombi units for a while, it will need valve adjustments as time goes on. If you want a traditional 2 stroke, skip stihl.

Echo is where its at. Bought the biggest one i could handle doing lawn work qnd brush clearing in high school and it helped me thru college. Ill be 40 this year and still running that machine. A couple sets of rings, carb rebuild, and a few fuel line changes. Runs brush clearing duty now exclusively, too heavy to handle for trimmer duty now. Its a beast. Have owned stihl, shindawa, and echo. Echo seems to be most reliable.

Never ever run ethanol laiden fuel thru them without a fuel conditioner and they will all give good service.

Whatever brand Jorge uses. Never seen any of his equipment fail...at least not in my yard.

Save your money and buy an Echo. I've bought nothing but Echos over the last 42 years. They never have failed and give a good value for the money.

Why @MtnCreek ?
Is your brother's arsehole a bit bushy?
At least you never run out of condoms, there is always a fresh one in your arse after the weekend.
Why are you still here? Everyone knows you're a cunt. I don't get why you hang around like you're the herpes.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Been a die hard sthil guy for years, and rhey are great, MILWAUKEE FUEL is the way to go. 12ah batteries and dont look back. The chainsaw is bad ass too

The 80v Kobalt tools have been great. I have the trimmer, pole saw, chain saw, and leaf blower. More than enough power for everything I need. Made the decision to go battery on all my small engines as the yearly maintenance was just added up to too much each year.

I've had one of these for a couple of seasons. It replaced a similar two cycle Stihl that I used for twenty plus years. We live on forty plus acres in the PNW and everything grows at a prodigious rate.

The 131 will support various saw, mulching, and hacking blades that add a tremendous amount of versatility to the system. It will cut saplings up to about three inches and you can hack your way through blackberry patches the size of a two car garage and as tall as the operator.

@AngryKoala I know you bought a battery powered and 58V sounds like it should go all day. If you should decide you need more a 131 will go as long as you can and that's brush cutting not weed eating. If you can go ten hours it will still be cutting.

If you are going to use a weed-eater for brush cutting you need the handle bar/bicycle grip. If you somehow get dirt in your gas-can just throw the contents out and send the can after it. Use only ethanol free fuel. I add a little "Sea Foam" to even ethanol free. The advice to lube the drive head is good advice. Stihl has a small tube that threads into the head when you remove the screw. Don't thread it tight to the head. You'll being trying to get grease into an airtight space and that won't work.

What chain saw? A Stihl 044 of course.

Here are a couple of other general recommendations. Big chain saws are a two sided coin. They can get a huge amount of work done quickly. They are also heavy and powerful and can turn on you like a trapped bobcat. If you know a logger, with experience as a faller, impose on him for some advice. Not only on how to handle and maintain your saw but also have him walk your place looking at trees with you and advising you on how he would fall big trees and why. When buying a saw, brush cutter/weed eater, it's best to figure the biggest you'll need and then buy the next one up. Don't make mistakes. Logging is an extremely hazardous job. The pros are usually in the woods with other pros. Everybody has radios and should know where almost everyone on the show is if anywhere near.

If you're out there alone on your place you're.....well......out there alone.