• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weight vests.

BOISCOID

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2018
My weighted vest is pretty toast and this is probably its last warm season of use after three solid years.

Never really found it to be terribly comfortable but it did the trick for runs, the annual murph, and not having overly stress a staph infection from sharing the gym’s loaner.

Don’t know shit about plate carriers or armor plates for that matter other than crye and ferro are good and China is bad. Yet, I’m thinking about spending the coin on a nice carrier for more comfort and sticking rogue plates in it.

Is that the route some of you go, or do you just train with your actual armor plates? Gotta admit I’m a bit rough on my current one and take a measurable amount of joy of dumping it off on the ground to hop in the river or lake before running back home.

Last edited:
Get some 45 LB weighted vests that the Firefighter crews use to get their Red Cards.

I’m running something similar, called the box. Thing with that kind of design is the individual slots for the weights losen up over time and you have multiple weights shifting around which is annoying and why I’m looking at a single weighted plate on each side.

If you get something quality made in the USA, you won't have that issue.

🤦‍♂️😂, ya the box is made in the USA. Shit wears out, American made or not.

The design of the multi pocketed vest is great if you’re sharing with different people of varying levels of fitness or if you like to change up the weight. It’s also a design flaw for longevity in my experience.

I don’t have that need, I just want 20-25lbs and go. Which is why I’m asking about actual plate carriers with rogue plates for a weighted vest.

If you don't mind getting stared at, you can also use a plate carrier lol. Level 4 Hescos are decently chunky.

I don't do it often but if I'm going to the gym super late at night, I'll wear my carrier and do cardio with it. Since you're pretty unfamiliar, I'll just name-drop some of the most commonly recommended ones.

- Crye JPC
- Spiritus Systems LV119
- Ferro Slickster

Also, keep in like you need to order the carrier size based on the plate size you intend on using, not your body size. Plate size depends on your body size and a couple other factors, there's lots of info online.

Here's mine, still needs a few things.

20200905_173917-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BOISCOID
I would go with with a JPC. Very comfortable to work in as well as using it as a weighted vest.

Reactions: BOISCOID
Not a bad read on the subject

TLDR - it can be beneficial particularly for plyometrics; for running, your form better be top notch.

In my own experience lifting weights, periods of jumping rope, box jumps, etc is one thing; running is different. Running is that fine balance of tight enough to allow for full chest expansion but also such that it does not shift much with each step. Form is everything; and while it is definitely harder to run in plates, the juice (when the risk of injury is considered) is not worth the squeeze (IMHO).

Personally I equate this to when everyone thought if they wore a mask they would simulate high altitude (which they didn't, but they did represent slow carbon dioxide overload) - it's a fad without a ton of thought behind it.

Last edited: