• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Welcome to the neighborhood...

truth

pewpewpew
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
Seabeck, WA
First of many decades worth of F-35 flyovers from Hill AFB just happened at my house. Impressive piece of kit.

Considering all the fuss about that plane i'd get an insurance for your house checked and make sure it covers airplane crash (if not make sure you get it and don't mention its F-35 flying above as it might cost you a fortune to insure). As to the personal safety do they make "panic rooms" airplane crash proof in US?

Hill AFB was the first time as a Marine that I got to see how the "other half lives". We went out there for a few weeks to blow shit up. We were AMAZED at indoor raquetball courts, hot tubs, Sundae bars in the chow hall, etc. Then someone told us we were on the bombing range across the salt lake from the actual AFB (Eagle Range), that where WE were was just an impact area staffed by some DOD Security and EOD guys. Our jaws dropped.
They let us onto the actual AFB for ONE day to do swim qual. They were not amused that we used the time to "wash" our field cammies in the indoor olympic pool. After we saw the actual base we were just plain pissed.

I used to live close to the Naval Air Station Oceana in Norfolk Va, and at first it was really cool, but there will wear very quickly then it gets just down right annoying. I understand it is a necessity but that gets old on a Saturday night at 2 in the morning.

They don't do much night flying here as it's not a training base, just a maintenance base. Mostly test flights to ensure upgrades and repairs are dialed. They're actually rather polite about it on the rare times they do conduct night exercises and give notice in advance.

I used to live close to the Naval Air Station Oceana in Norfolk Va, and at first it was really cool, but there will wear very quickly then it gets just down right annoying. I understand it is a necessity but that gets old on a Saturday night at 2 in the morning.

They don't do much night flying here as it's not a training base, just a maintenance base. Mostly test flights to ensure upgrades and repairs are dialed. They're actually rather polite about it on the rare times they do conduct night exercises and give notice in advance.

Making my point again that the Air Force has the best union in the military. They're "polite" because they don't work nights or weekends, even if they need to, whereas the other branches work nights and weekends even when they DON'T need to.

Boguybrown, When I was in RVN we used to go down and sleep in the transient quarters at the AF complex in Bien Hoa. It was amazing, toilets and showers, bunks with sheets, died and went to heaven. We would be set for regular guard and when their CQ came by all bunks were empty.
Got kicked out a time or two but always made it through their showers. FM

I was an Army Deputy Mission Crew Commander (DMCC) aboard the Joint Surveillance Attacks Radar System (JSTARS) aircraft during OIF/OEF and Southern Watch. When we used to train at the National Training Center the crew would get put up in hotels on the Las Vegas strip so we could fly out of Nellis AFB. The Air Force knew how to make their crews happy I could tell you that.

As an Army guy I got spoiled really quickly but then came the wars and flying all night sorties for 15 hours became the norm. If it weren't for the wars I would have had an awesome crew tour but that didn't happen. It was a lot of fun though and wouldn't train my time for anything. Even after four years in an Air Force Air Wing I still had no idea how the Air Force corporate culture really worked. They are an interesting bunch.

I was thinking the same thing. Once the "wow factor" wears off he'll be cursing the racket those fucking things can make.

I live a few miles from a JSF wing. Couldn't tell you the last time I heard one. I hear more AC-130s than anything. Now the folks stupid enough to buy houses close to the runway are ticked.

I can't tell the difference between the noise level of F35s and F15s. But I am about half deaf.

I know what you mean. My backyard was Barksdale AFB in Bossier City for a couple years.

I love just a few miles off the SW corner of Tinker AFB. Get a lot of AWACS flying over during the day, and the occasional heavy.

Considering all the fuss about that plane i'd get an insurance for your house checked and make sure it covers airplane crash (if not make sure you get it and don't mention its F-35 flying above as it might cost you a fortune to insure). As to the personal safety do they make "panic rooms" airplane crash proof in US?

Sharac - please, get laid, high, drunk, hear a funny joke, something... just cheer up man!

Hill AFB was the first time as a Marine that I got to see how the "other half lives". We went out there for a few weeks to blow shit up. We were AMAZED at indoor raquetball courts, hot tubs, Sundae bars in the chow hall, etc. Then someone told us we were on the bombing range across the salt lake from the actual AFB (Eagle Range), that where WE were was just an impact area staffed by some DOD Security and EOD guys. Our jaws dropped.
They let us onto the actual AFB for ONE day to do swim qual. They were not amused that we used the time to "wash" our field cammies in the indoor olympic pool. After we saw the actual base we were just plain pissed.
Funny, my first USAF chow was in Saudi. We humped about 6K passed our ARMY "Hot Conex," to the USAF area. We walked into the chow hall with weapons, and the looks of contempt registered from every table. All I could smell was real food mixed with the perfume and deodorant from the dinners. I stood looking dumbly at the cook with my tray held out, until I was informed that this was self-serve (unheard of to me). Steaks, shrimp, real potatoes....Heaven. I did listen to how horrible it was that their pool was shut down for cleaning from the dinners next to me....funny! My pop retired E-9 from the USAF, and man was he smarter than I was!

Growing up, we spent a few years living right next to the flight line at Hickam in HI. It got so you just stopped talking on landing and takeoff, and never heard the planes. Now I live deep in the woods, and I can hear the Highway 5 miles away in the winter and I think it is loud...go-figure

Last edited:
Funny, my first USAF chow was in Saudi. We humped about 6K passed our ARMY "Hot Conex," to the USAF area. We walked into the chow hall with weapons, and the looks of contempt registered from every table. All I could smell was real food mixed with the perfume and deodorant from the dinners. I stood looking dumbly at the cook with my tray held out, until I was informed that this was self-serve (unheard of to me). Steaks, shrimp, real potatoes....Heaven. I did listen to how horrible it was that their pool was shut down for cleaning from the dinners next to me....funny! My pop retired E-9 from the USAF, and man was he smarter than I was!

Growing up, we spent a few years living right next to the flight line at Hickam in HI. It got so you just stopped talking on landing and takeoff, and never heard the planes. Now I live deep in the woods, and I can hear the Highway 5 miles away in the winter and I think it is loud...go-figure

Yep, that ONE meal I got at Hill was the same way. The majority of the unit had been done for hours, but here were 4 of us trying to get our WSQ (the highest level of swim qual in the Marines) so we spent probably 6-8 hours in the pool and were way late into the afternoon. When we were done they told us to get dry and grab some chow before we headed back around the lake to the impact area.

We walk up to the serving line and they no shit asked me how I wanted my steak cooked. I laughed at the grill cook thinking it was a joke. He was dead serious. Instead of the horse meat floating in a steam table we were used to, they had an asshole cooking steaks to order on the line. THEN came the baked potato bar with every fixin you could imagine.

My buddy and I sat down at a table with a tablecloth on it and figured we'd fucked up and were in the Officer's Mess. About that time here comes a guy to our table with a Sundae trolley doing banana splits and shit to order at our table. At that point we were SURE we were in the Officer's Mess, so we choked down the best military chow ever like someone was going to take it from us. We got up with our trays and were looking for the pot shack and a "server" tells us to please leave it on the table, they'll clean it for us. NO DOUBT, it had to be the Officer's Mess, so we got outside.

I told the Gunny that I was pretty sure we'd just raided the Officer's chow hall and he laughed and said, "Nope, that's the Enlisted Mess, bunch a pussies, aren't you glad you joined the Corps?" Marine logic all the way.

Try NAS whidbey with e6 and a6's night time mock carrier landing practice was fun the first two times..