• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Welders advice needed

rkgsmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
maryland
Looking to pick up a mig welder. Homeowner applications only, no outside jobs. Looking at either the Hobart or Lincoln 140 series that are 115v. Similar price and features. Any thoughts by those who use. For about $200 more I can get similar models that run on 230v. I wouldnt need it often but I almost think I would regret getting the smaller one when a piece of 1/2 plate breaks and I don't have a welder big enough to fix it. Thoughts on both please.

Re: Welders advice needed

Drop the extra $200 and go with the Lincoln. I've had mine for years and haven't had a problem.

If you don't need the portability of a 115 and have the room for a full sized machine, look for a used Miller. I've done terrible things to the ones I've used. Other than a few bad relays and switches, they keep on going.

Be sure to check pawn shops. I found a Lincoln 180 amp mig for 200 bucks, that ran about 800 new.

I highly suggest you get the 220V version. The 110V machines really lack the "balls" even some modest projects can use.

That said, if you are really balling on a budget and/or know you'll rarely if ever weld something thicker than 1/4", the 110 machine will suffice.

With a bit of practice, you can weld 1/2" plates with a 110 machine, it just takes a bunch of small passes.

Kind of depends on what kind of things you plan on welding and how much welding you will be doing. Without knowing that, I personally would go with Millermatic 211 or comparable model in a Lincoln. It's nice to have the extra duty cycle and the amperage when you run across heavier shit even if it isn't that often. If you aren't in a hurry try to find a lightly used one and you can pick it up for about the same cost of the 110 unit.

I've got a 110V Miller, and its performance is underwhelming. Get a beefy 220V unit if you can.

Definitely get the 220v you will be so much happier with it. it will weld circles around the 115v.

You can make those 110v welders weld any thickness you want, it just depends on how much time you want to take. I am a welder/supervisor every day and on a slow day I passed an unlimited thickness vertical up test which is 2 one faceplates bevel cut and welded with 110v welder.

I personally like more power because you can get the same quality weld faster and easier.

It makes me sad that I dont get to weld as much as I used to at work.

I agree with the above if you 220v I would, I have a Hobart 110v, and use it for a lot of smaller stuff and it has worked great for me for a long time, but I also have a bigger Hobart 220v, that gets used for bigger stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Hobart, I have four of them and they have never let me down.

Walter

I have a Miller and my buddy has the Hobart, we both wish we would have spent more and bought Lincolns, but for what either of us typically weld both work better than not having one. My 18yo son, who is a welder, can weld circles around me with any welder including mine so experience is a part of it.

My vote goes to the Lincoln.

I bought a Hobart 140 for a barn I was building and love it. For around the house type stuff it is great-I specifically wanted to run off regular current for the versatility. It runs off a generator no problem, you can easily throw it in the back of the truck to take it somewhere, no need to find a 220 circuit.

1/4 plate is pretty thick outside of heavy equipment or farm implements. Most of the work I have done hasn't even stressed this 110 machine. For occasional projects and hobby stuff it has been great and the standard current has been a benefit instead of a hindrance. I say if you are a hobbyist like me, save the money you would spend on something bigger and buy a nice auto-helmet instead. I also bought a bigger gas cylinder and with gas this machine makes a real pretty weld.

I have a Lincoln weld pack 100 (110v) with gas from Home Depot. It is the handiest welder I own and those include a Miller Bobcat, Dialarc 250, and an Airco 200. It goes anywhere and welds anything. I have reached the duty cycle welding some heavy stuff but, most of the time it runs non-stop on lighter material.

I bought this model at the recommendation of the owner of a welding supply. He could service it and get parts but the units could only be bought through lowes or home depot. Get the gas kit too.

if you have 1/2 plate to weld, 220v- a 110v welder is only for .125 and thinner material. I have a miller 212 220v and 1/2 is even getting a little thick for that, single pass that is.

If you can run 220v, do it. You can find some realty nice used millermatics on eBay or Craigslist for a decent price.

You guys realize ITW owns both Hobart and Miller. Both companies (ITW and Lincoln) make comparable machines in the each of the different power ranges. Miller makes one that is both 220V and 110v. If you can, buy the 220V, you will have better penetration on thicker metals, without preheat or multiple passes. If you get something like a Miller 211, you will be able to do both. As you get better, you will also note the weld characteristics of each machine.

The key is your consumables. Most welding shops usually carry both red and blue machine consumables. ESAB makes great welders as well. I would buy based on what your local shop carries, sometimes its a btch running out on a weekend when the shops are closed.

I have accumulated over the years a quite a few welders, with my current ones being Miller 350P, a Lincoln power mig 216, and a Hobart Trek (portable battery powered). They each have their own strengths and flaws. My next one is going to be a Miller Dynasty 350 for TIG duty.

Just like fine glass, or a good stick, buy once and cry once. If you do not have a 220 line, I would run one on a dedicated circuit in the garage with 60A+ breaker if you can as you will upgrade.

The other recommendations is good a good welding helmet. Don't ever cheap out on your eyes, as you only have one set.

At the end of the day, branding is like Chevy and Ford, you will have people camp out on each side.

How often does the "Homeowner" really have to weld up 1/2 inch plate? I would get a nice compact full featured 110V unit. With proper prep and filler you can multi-pass 1/2 inch plate for most home/farm work and it will be "good enough". If you need quality 1/2 inch welding you can usually rent a bigger welder.

For around the house and farm you can't beat the portability and convenience of a 110V unit. I have a 220v but I have to haul my generator around with it if I need to use it outside and that makes me less likely to get those projects done.

Just some points to think about.

After hearing all the posts I can't say I'm definite on the brand, but feel convinced I'm going with a 220v. For the $200 extra I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. I already have a line in the garage for it, and the space. Leaning toward the Lincoln. Thanks for all the expert advice.

For fab work I'd go 220, but I build stuff out of 1/4 and 3/16 sometimes thicker and don't like multiple passes, for basic repair work 110 suffices usually. More importantly most 220 machines will have a longer duty cycle which for me is very important, nothing like being in the middle of a bead and having your machine start choking.

Gas beats the hell out of flux core.

Not sure what your plans are, but since you haven't bought yet, if aluminum will ever be on the agenda make sure it can run a spool gun, some can run it without but in my experience its a headache.

On the given budget, I'd prefer to have two machines. A nice 110v MIG for light duty and filling applications and a 220v Lincoln cracker box for any heavy jobs you come across. I have a 140 Hobart that I picked up off of Craigslist for a steal of a price. In my opinion, it is a much better welder than its Lincoln counterpart. A buddy of mine that welds rocket sleds for a living, agrees. Whatever brand you choose, it will be worlds better on the bottle.

Good choice going the 220V route. Get the highest amperage machine you can afford. Though you may not use to max capacity, the longer duty-cycle will be a benefit. Shielding gas will give a better looking bead, but forget it if you're in any breeze or around fans, as it will dissipate the gas allowing for weld oxidation. Flux-core has it's drawbacks (having to switch polarity for one), but does have a place in some welding environments.

BTW, I'm a "Big Blue" user.
smile.gif

Kevin