• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well Now This is Interesting: Electronic Warfare Comming to a Cell Tower Near You.

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
Mysterious fake cellphone towers found across US- MSN Money

In summary, a private company has discovered fake cell towers scattered across America that are actively suppressing cell service and intercepting calls and texts. Regardless of who is gleaning data from the towers, the real question I am interested in is how can we protect our data? There are Ferriday Cage wallets, but is there a way to secure one's phone while still maintaining functionality?

Interesting. It gets worse. N0w they have a box called Stingray ( and many variations). NO one knows exactly how it works but they can drive by house and instruct your phone to direct to their Stingray, rather than the normal cell tower. then they listen to you. The catch seems to be that it also brings in every pone for 200' or so. They sued in Florida to get access to what was going on, the courts granted them access, and the day before they were to pick up the info, Justice Dept. swoops in and confiscates it all. Hmmmmmm

It is a "mobile cell tower" which redirects all mobiles to connect to it. Our police bought it few years ago and when people discovered it was used during antigov protests all hell had broken loose and now its use has been put on standby (yeah right and pigs fly). Device breaks law (individual rights and courtorder for listening to telephones) since it gathers all cells in range and intercepts/decrypts/stores all traffic which is routed through it.

You can use a service like Silent Circle. However, one must always assume that governments are at least one step ahead (more like 20 steps) of the technology curve, and/or have agents directly working inside the hardware and software manufacturers.

This necessitates learning to be anonymous in all of your activities, including the purchase and use of various services, licensed or registered property, and strong encryption of personal data. Always assume that anything that can connect to the internet (computers, phones, cameras, storage devices, "the cloud", servers, etc.) can and will be subject to search and seizure by subversive means.

Disclaimer: I am not a cell phone guy. I work on networks (primarily IP), but here's what I know.

Long story short, there's nothing you can do, personally, to secure your voice communications short of deploying your own network; even then, the phone-to-tower radio transmission is susceptible to interception. You can do a much better job securing non-voice traffic though. There are several issues, but to start: a) you are reliant on third parties (phone carrier's) for transport, b) you are reliant on a lot of old and/or legacy technology, and c) the phone's baseband (which actually handles phone-to-tower communication) is essentially a black box.

Encryption 101: Plaintext + Encryption = Ciphertext (encrypted text). The only 100% secure encryption is a one-time-password (OTP), where the message to be encrypted and the encryption key are the same length, and the key necessarily changes with each message; the OTP key also must be transmitted separate from the message and out-of-band. Every other encryption algorithm is reliant on the idea that it is mathematically unfeasible to decrypt the text in a reasonable period of time. The problem is computing power increasing, suddenly brute-forcing the decryption process isn't as unfeasible as it was 5 years ago. Furthermore, encryption algorithms that are thought to be secure are discovered to have breaks, which is essentially anything that can reduce the complexity of a brute-force attack. The point here is that encryption aren't a 100% guarantee your stuff won't be seen, and that there's a constantly moving target as encryption algorithms age. Also important to consider is that since technology only drops in price, the equipment needed to say, mimic a cell tower, eventually falls into the area where it's not unreasonable for a normal person to own. Technology needed to mimic a GSM cell tower became affordable over 5 years ago.

The next piece to the puzzle is that encryption/decryption takes TIME; as you might have guessed, the longer it takes for the encryption/decryption process, the greater the delay between when the data is sent and when it is usable, if you will, by the receiver. Voice communications are time sensitive, and even sub-second delays are noticeable to frustrating to users (there's been studies done to determine where that sweet spot is). Therefore, the most secure algorithms out there cannot reasonably be used to secure voice traffic. This is especially true when you consider that there's a limit to how powerful a processor you can fit inside a mobile phone.

Back to my original points. Because you are using a third party's network for transport, now you have to assume that your message can be intercepted at any point. If it's intercepted, it could eventually be decrypted (depending on the algorithm used, it might be near instantaneous, or it could be 1000 years). When you rely on legacy technology (i.e. GSM), you are also relying on the security techniques used at that time. Even worse, a lot of legacy technology was implemented with security as an afterthought, rather than built with security in mind. Since the phone's baseband is a black box, you are now relying on it to securely perform all of these operations. Transmitting voice over IP (VOIP) is a different discussion, but the user's options for security open up significantly.

Since non-voice traffic is not as time-sensitive, you can encrypt your data prior to transmission with the right tools. On a PC, there are tons of tools out there (even free ones) to securely encrypt files. I'm not sure how much is out there in the way of mobile phones, and that's why so-called cryptophones have a market to begin with.

This isn't intended to a "sky is falling" post. I just wanted to give a little insight into what security really means and how little control you have over securing your voice comms. Bottom line, everything you do on your cell phone or over the internet should be a calculated risk.

This isn't intended to a "sky is falling" post. I just wanted to give a little insight into what security really means and how little control you have over securing your voice comms. Bottom line, everything you do on your cell phone or over the internet should be a calculated risk.

Thank you Polaris, this is exactly what I was looking for.

A follow up question: if I want to use my smartphone as a PC, and download the encryption tools, does the fact that I am sending the text file from a smartphone circumvent or diminish the protection offered by the encryption tools? I understand this might be a case dependent question, but I am only looking for a general answer.

It should be fairly easy to find out who is running and servicing them, one take an ax, cut the cables at the base, two, wait until dick head shows up to fix-bingo.

The units are mobile. Put in the trunk of a car or back of a van. Nothing a person can do to access the equipment in order to damage it. They are not like traffic cameras actually sitting on a pole.

The DOJ already advised any local LE that if this equipment is used to secure a case that they can not use the info in a trial. The using agency is to deny the existence of their abilities or ownership of the equipment.

Interesting. It gets worse. N0w they have a box called Stingray ( and many variations). NO one knows exactly how it works but they can drive by house and instruct your phone to direct to their Stingray, rather than the normal cell tower. then they listen to you. The catch seems to be that it also brings in every pone for 200' or so. They sued in Florida to get access to what was going on, the courts granted them access, and the day before they were to pick up the info, Justice Dept. swoops in and confiscates it all. Hmmmmmm

I may know someone who knows someone who met someone who has one of these in his department issue SUV. I also heard of a guy who knows a guy who met a guy who had brown hair that had a nifty little device that can plug into any smart phone and strip all the information out of it, password protected or not. Gotta have a warrant for that though...wink, wink.

Personally I think they are FBI or local PD stations.

Seattle PD set these up all over downtown, they will record your MAC addy when your wireless attempts to connect, and then as you move they record again - logs it and keeps a blip of where you are.
Airplane mode is your friend.

In the Ukraine they have these also and they spammed a cease and decist message to all cell phones in the vicinity of the riots, and THAT is what is believed to have caused it to go from bad to worse.
Seattle has them because of the WTO riots of times gone by.......you'd think they'd be over that by now!

I have nothing to hide and if I did the cell phone would go on a bus.....

they're definitely not contracting for the NSA....

Thank you Polaris, this is exactly what I was looking for.

A follow up question: if I want to use my smartphone as a PC, and download the encryption tools, does the fact that I am sending the text file from a smartphone circumvent or diminish the protection offered by the encryption tools? I understand this might be a case dependent question, but I am only looking for a general answer.

As a general rule, if the tools use the same encryption algorithm, you can expect the same level of protection. However, it is possible for an encryption algorithm to implemented improperly or in an insecure way, which can compromise security. For example, if the tool does not manage encryption keys in a secure way, it doesn't matter how great the encryption algorithm you use is. For a real world example, the reason that using WEP encryption for your home wireless network is a terrible idea (even 8 years ago) is because even though the actual encryption algorithm is/was fine, the way WEP implemented it made it possible to determine the key in a very short amount of time.

Simply put, the manner in which civilization has absolutely ingrained the 'smart-phones' into their lives, is horrific. The simple concept of living life, and experiencing what happens on a moment to moment basis, let alone "thinking through a problem" is nearly extinct. Having a PC tower and/or laptop is bad enough, but still has the information at ones fingertips for when it is needed.

Other than that, get out there and do something, for yourselves.

This past summer, we had a van parked outside our house. Simple, innocuous windowless white cargo van, with about 25-30 antennae on top of it. The majority of them looked similar to hockey-pucks. But there were other ones, that looked quite different, intricate, and obscure.

I'd asked the dude in the drivers seat, what was going on. He said that "he worked for a company based in the Eastern U.S. that consulted on signal strength and connectivity" No name shown, no name mentioned, (when asked) and "didn't have any cards left, sorry" when I asked for one of those, too.

His drivers seat resembled more of a cockpit though, with all the different screens, buttons, and do-ma-hickey's surrounding him. No passenger capability at all.

Interesting.

lets face it, we live in a technological age. I'm all for my privacy but then again, i know "somone" is or could be always listening to my calls or whatever. I'm not one to do illigal things and i'm not out to plot against the government so i'm not worried about getting into trouble for anything, so whatever. if they really want to read all the dirty txts i send to my wife all day then so be it, at least they'll get a laugh, but if those fuckers are gonna look at the nudy pics of her i have on my phone and post them all over the internet then Goddamit I want a cut! or at least a royalty check once a month.

Not everything that needs to be said needs to be said over electronic means.

lets face it, we live in a technological age. I'm all for my privacy but then again, i know "somone" is or could be always listening to my calls or whatever. I'm not one to do illigal things and i'm not out to plot against the government so i'm not worried about getting into trouble for anything, so whatever. if they really want to read all the dirty txts i send to my wife all day then so be it, at least they'll get a laugh, but if those fuckers are gonna look at the nudy pics of her i have on my phone and post them all over the internet then Goddamit I want a cut! or at least a royalty check once a month.
[MENTION=91385]Darkside-Six[/MENTION] if you post said nude pics of wife, Ill post up nudes of my current g/f. What do ya say sir? :D