• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Wells Custom Suppressor

nuclabuyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2010
Nucla, Co
Has anyone tried out a Wells Custom Suppressor. I searched but never found anything about them. I have ordered one, now I am asking opinions. Kind of a bass ackwards way of doing it but.....

Re: Wells Custom Suppressor

nobody?? I might have to do a review on them. It might be in 90 - 120 days but if no one knows about them...... I am sure some one here has bought one.

There is absolutely no way you would order a suppressor before hearing one, seeing one or speaking with anybody that has had one for more than 10 minutes. You thought you did that, but you really didn't it was all just a misunderstanding.

Here is what they say on their own website:

"COMING SOON: NEWLY REDESIGNED SUPPRESSORS IN .223 TO .300 AND .22 LR"

Glad you were not the guy getting the ones before they were "newly redesigned" right? Right?

I dont know what that is supposed to mean, are you saying that it is probably a POS??

Your SOT sold you something neither of you had ever seen?
How was this arrived at?
Don't you own a computer?
This is a failure of due diligence.
Maybe it will be great. It's only money. And 3 months.

Well I read about it on there website, watched a couple videos on you tube. Those looked ok. I talked to David Well's owner of the company. I was guaranteed my money back if it is not as good as any other one at the range. I asked what the new design was and he thickened up the baffles. This is 30 cal F/A rated. Also my Class III was going to call and talk to him about it a little. As far as I can tell with the money back guarantee I would be out a little money but not a ton. I am taking the risk and I am going to try it. I guess when it comes in I will take some pics and put it on here.

Thickened up the baffles?? Ah....no....no, that would not be a good indication. Run away now. This is good advice, take it.

Save time, if you can, get your money back now.

Take a note: Next time you buy a can do your work. Read and read and read and read. Then go and listen to the best cans, then go and look at the resulting targets at range. FA? in a .30 caliber can? I've seen them tested to destruction, cans that go through that do not get improved by thickening up the baffles. What is this can made out of? Titanium? Nope, stainless, What does it weigh? What rounds did he shoot in his one video? What did the target look like?

Take another note: in .30 cal, if YOU DO NOT HEAR SUPERSONIC PROJECTILE CRACK...the bullet is most likely subsonic. We have a special place in our hearts for folks that do not tell the video viewer that the rounds are puffs and then want you to believe their cans are quiet. RUN AWAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wD5Na_FLbI

Dave Wells said they have some law enforcement using them and they had a list of some people that had used them and had good things to say about them. He offered me there info if I wanted it.

nuclabuyer, What questions do you have about them? I'll pm you my phone #.
I have personally shot the .30 cal & .22 rimfire Wells Custom suppressors on my firearms. I purchased one myself after shooting them. The .30 cal can is just as quiet, shooting both engles ballistic subsonic or fgmm full pressure rounds, as my triple X suppressor. I personally think the .22 can is quieter than my tac 65 on my 40x trainer.

I understand your questions on a new purchase from a company that is not as well known as Gemtech or AAC. Especially with the economy as horrible as it is.

What I don't understand, in a community like the 'Hide, why people have to bash every new company that puts a product out. Especially people that have not even seen the product never mind held or actually used it. It is easy to have your opinion sitting behind a keyboard and screen when its not your purchase. Nuclabuyer asked a question "Has anyone tried out a Wells Custom Suppressor?" So far it looks like I'm the only person here to buy one. Would I purchase another one? Yes I would! Would I purchase another suppressor from Tactical Innovations, American Manufacturing, or even another Coastal? Yes I would, for the money I have paid for them and the applications they are used for they fit perfectly.

Every company that strides to continually improve their products doesn't mean the previous product was a failure. Every car manufacturer improves their lineup every year. It doesn't mean failure. Hell, even GAP changed actions/supplier on their own custom rifles. Does that mean my custom GAP 7000 is junk?

If anyone is in Northeast Pa and would like to shoot my rifle with it on or your rifle if its threaded 5/8-24 let me know.

mike

Trailmudder Wells Custom is in nicholson pa. mt carmel isnt too far from scranton. Let me know if you want to shoot mine.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOT the product</span>...although I have real issues with a FA rated can with no history or test data that solves problems in a stainless can by making their baffles thicker.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ITS THE PROCESS</span>...always listen to a can before you buy it, if you can't hear it try and read about BEFORE you buy it, ask questions BEFORE... especially if they practically do not exist in anything other than a prototype that it appears that nobody outside of one guy, has seen or heard. PROCESS.

Having said that, you have made a kind and generous offer. I hope he takes you up on it.

So far the only real help has been LandCruiser. Everyone is telling me to search for the info. One might want to stop and think that because the company is new, maybe there is very little info out there. One also might think that because they are a new company there may not be anybody around my area that has one. Some one had to go out on a limb and test the Gemtech's and the ThunderBeast cans before they were the best. Some one had to go out and try the US optics before they got the name of the best scope. Why dont you help somebody find a good deal and quit telling everybody they are dumb for looking for a manufactoring newcomer's, that could be as good, for a little cheaper.

and the rest of that quote is. They both got food and they are both as happy as could be

You actually got more good advice than you realize. Not just on the can, but on how to go about making purchases in the future. You just haven't gotten and tested this can against other cans yet. When you do all the other advice will ring true and you will be well on your way. Your situation is unusual and what you put yourself through and will put yourself through to finally arrive at a modern suppressor is very rare.

I am hoping that you will begin to read the tons of good reading here on suppressors. Then, and only then, will you come to realize that all the "going out on a limb" stuff is, well..out on a limb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the rest of that quote is. They both got food and they are both as happy as could be </div></div>

Think about the first mouse a while, and why the second one got the cheese.

I guess it's time I posted,

We'll be at Reade range this weekend 7-8 for the sniper match to demo the cans, Also have a free .30 Cal can going on the prize table for some lucky winner.
All are welcome shooters & watchers.

Dave

There ya go, good luck to you Dave!! A little too far of a drive for me, lol, but am looking forward to hearing some positive reviews on your product.

Well I am getting advice from a bunch of people that dont want to try anything new that is for sure. A bunch of computer snipers tring to tell me that all the thunderbeasts, gemtechs and etc are dipped in magic powder and that is why they work better. Suppressors aren't magic, simple law of physics. I dont see why you think you have to pay $1000 dollars for something like this. I am sure that a company that charges $1000 may have a little more money for R&R, fine. But some where along the line, you have diminishing returns. Something that is more expensive dosent always mean it is better. I am sure that the big companies didnt start with $1000 price tag. They built up to that price of the years. Selling enough to get the word out and gradually adding to the price after they get a good rep.

I hope some people off this forum will go down and see his suppressors. I am sold on his company because he is a nice guy to talk to. He answers everything I ask promptly and doesnt feed me any BS. He is a shop that is trying to expand and everyone on this forum is shooting him down because they dont know everything about it and 1000 people havent line up behind his products. For those people keep buying the expensive stuff and I will gamble a little and hopfully win.

Watch you mouth kid, your 8 posts into this ugliness and your already making friends.

You haven't got a clue who your taking to or what your talking about. You simply are ignorant of the most basic facts about suppressors. Take it on good faith that you asked a question and we all did what you asked, gave you an opinion and tried to help, all the rest is the uncomfortable backwash of a person that did it all backwards. If you don't want an honest opinion, or don't like the result of asking for one...don't ask.

As to paying a $1,000+ for a can? When you make one out of U.S. titanium thick stock and mill it out, when you make every baffle out of titanium or inconel, when you work each baffle to path the gas redirection jets, when you 360 degree weld every chamber (8 to 10 times the time..these guys are artists), when there is NO threading construction, No loctite or glue, No tacking, No aluminum, when the finish cure time alone takes three days, etc. etc. your going to pay between $1000 - $1,500 for a can that will provide repeatability and last a lifetime. Testing bills for ammunition on a new design can run into 5 figures...1,000s and 1,000 or rounds through the can. Full Auto claims? To the folks that can run 100 rounds of .308 through a can in under 20 seconds? Those claims have to be backed up, by lots of testing as that is what makes a can safe. That is the way it is, that is where the industry is and has been for close to 45 years.

A 100% titanium .30 can weighs approx. 15oz. that is just 15oz off the end of your barrel. What does your can weigh? What does the weight mean on some barrel profiles? Etc., etc.,etc. You can buy whatever you want, this is America, but just put a cork into guessing your way through the rest of the story.

Learn, start to learn, start now.

What does your can weigh?

24 Oz
Thanks for asking..

Seriously don't flame the him for asking a question, Nice way to treat the new guy.

Honestly, not to worried about friends on this board. I am on plenty of boards with plenty of friends. And in no way has anyone been helpful except David Wells him self and LandCruiser. Thanks for the info Landcruiser. Everyone else here is giving me what they think, nothing but opinions, nothing useful. I understand the concept of R&R and I quoted that, look for your self. As for being a kid, ha, probably older then you are. If all you are going to do is slam on people, then you can excuse your self from this post. If you look back I am asking if anyone has used this suppressor, your answer being no, I guess you dont need to post. Thanks for the help. Now to people that would like to continue to be productive.

Like I said before, AAC, AWC, gemtech and etc, I understand they spend alot of money on the R&R to make there equipment just that little better, fine tune if you will. This in the long run adds to the price, thats understood. I am not saying that the Wells is going to be the best one period. My simple question is, is it worth the $500. I dont need to be flamed by people that haven't tried it. Your opinion is probably not, because you want the best, that is fine with me. I am simply looking for a 90% type, It has 90% the ability of any $1000 suppressor. That last 10% can get really expensive. The upgraded material of Titanium is expensive, not arguing those facts either. I think most $1000 suppressors knock the db level down 37ish. So for 1/2 the money and 32db, I am happy with it. That is what I am talking about 90%er

"A bunch of computer snipers" is what you said.

Get to work, you have allot to learn.

Yea I said a bunch, I didnt say that everyone on here is. I have alot of respect for people on here. I just dont have tolerance for people telling me that there is only 3 suppressors that are good and the rest is a waste of time. You could have said that you wouldn't want it. But you have to expand and say that it is junk, I am stupid, and you are a pro. You could have left an opinion with out being overly rude. Both to me and the person making this suppressor. Thanks for the input

"only three suppressors" = which three?

"rest is a waste of time" = where?

"it is junk" = where?

"I am stupid" = where?

"you are a pro" = where?

I said:

Don't "order a suppressor before hearing one, seeing one or speaking with anybody that has had one"

"always listen to a can before you buy it, if you can't hear it try and read about BEFORE you buy it, ask questions BEFORE... especially if they practically do not exist"

"You actually got more good advice than you realize. Not just on the can, but on how to go about making purchases in the future. You just haven't gotten and tested this can against other cans yet. When you do all the other advice will ring true and you will be well on your way. Your situation is unusual and what you put yourself through and will put yourself through to finally arrive at a modern suppressor is very rare.

I am hoping that you will begin to read the tons of good reading here on suppressors. Then, and only then, will you come to realize that all the "going out on a limb" stuff is, well..out on a limb. "

"Learn, start to learn, start now."

<span style="font-weight: bold">All of it great advice.</span>

"it is junk" = Run away now. This is good advice, take it.
Save time, if you can, get your money back now.

that is how I would take that..

"I am stupid" = Not just on the can, but on how to go about making purchases in the future.

I understand how to order and I have done as much as I can, in the amount of research. I have been talking to him, I have listen to it on the internet (only place) and as I have stated before they are a pretty new company. Chances of them being in my back yard. pretty slim.

only three suppressors" = which three?

I will concead the point that you didnt say 3 but "your going to pay between $1000 - $1,500 for a can that will provide repeatability and last a lifetime" There are quite a few over the $1000 mark but I would be assuming that your are talking about the AAC, AWC, SilencerCO, Gemini. The big name brands

"you are a pro" = Learn, start to learn, start now

I am assuming that you are going to teach me..

I will say, I would not like this to become a flaming post anymore then it already has been. So we can reset and if anyone else has any more info about these, i would appreciate that info

thanks

In your first post you say

"Kind of a bass ackwards way of doing it but....."

Quit copping attitude and reread the responses.

Nobody said it's junk.

Rolling thunder gives sage advice about the trust to be put in youtube vids of suppressors, and only in that context does he say "Run away".

These things may be the greatest thing since sliced white bread, but nobody on this board has ever heard of Wells save LandCruiser. He may be a talented machinist.

I may have missed it, but did you specify a caliber? .22cans are less demanding than centerfire. A .308 bolt gun will be easier on a suppressor than mag dumps from an SR25.

For most of us, a suppressor purchase is a pretty big deal; we don't want to risk purchase price +$200 on something which may or may not be satisfactory, but wont resell worth shit. Especially if it's something nobody ever heard of.

Occasionally on this and other fora, lesser known shops are asked about.

A friend has a Coastal .308 which he bought as part of a group buy on UziTalk for $300 + tax. Usually this is spoken of as a budget, lesser quality can,(normal retail is $500 or so). He's tickled pink with it, as well as with his TAC16 and TAC65.

Buying ANYTHING brand new to the market is risky. Gen One Prodigies come to mind. It was a $500 .22 can. AAC is standing behind it, but by many accounts ( I have personally never heard one) they weren't that effective.

You come in apparently seeking , well it can't be guidance because you already bought. Sounds like you're looking for approval or "gee whiz; that's cool" and start calling names when you don't get it.

This is a high testosterone, opinionated crowd. Show aggression and you'd better have your ducks in a row, because aggression's coming right back.

I sincerely hope it works out for you. If it doesn't, please excuse me if I don't weep.

The only problem is, is I came in having done all the research that I could, I have talked to the owner and I have done my research the best that I could. I have spent days looking for info on this. My first post was "has anyone ever heard of or tried it". No one answered, after that I thought I would try it and said I might have to review it once it came in. Since that time, I have been told that I am doing it backwards and that I should research it. I have and that is what this post was supposed to be, looking for more info and a new product. Instead it turned into a thread about how everything, I do it wrong. I would like people that have used this product to way in. Landcrusier is the post I was looking for. If RollingThunder had one and said run away, I probably would have. I am sorry for what the thread turned in to. I am looking for info about this can that is all. I am tring to find info on it for myself and other people that have seen and used this suppressor. Also there is not an attitude. I am looking for facts not opinion. thanks

I feel your pain - this is big money that we are talking about with these suppressors and you want to get your money's worth since it is basically a marriage you can't get out of easily. It is really hard to do the one thing that you would like which is hear the suppressors on rifles in a non-buying situation. That is hard to do as I about the only guy I know around my shooting club that even has suppressors much less anyone at the range using them. So, I did the same as you, checked the web, asked questions and went to the company that I was buying from, AAC in this case. The only issue of course is they are going to say they are good since they are the builder. Kind of like talking to a Ford dealer and asking about the new Mustangs.

It is hard jumping out there on new products. But, if you decide to get it come on here and do a review so the next guy will have something to base it on.

Well all gave you our opinions and you for some reason don't like them?
Would you shell out the money for a no name brand suppressor and find out it sucks, then have to spend more money for a brand name you might or might not trust? Now you will be out double the money and time.

Learn to research and read. Rolling Thunder could have been a lot more forceful and mean but I think he took it pretty easy on you.

I own A LOT of cans, I will try anything once. But if that products sucks I get rid of it. All the big name suppressor makers you are talking down on make an excellent product. You should heed RT's advise and learn when to shut up and start reading, soak it in and then apply the given knowledge to your purchase. We are all here to help each other, being this is an opinions based forum.

Rolling Thunder - +1 you said exactly what I was thinking.

"Well all gave you our opinions and you for some reason don't like them?"

All the info they have gave me is nothing short of an opinion. Except for 1 person that has one, and he says it is just as good. Other then that, no hard evidence. I understand that the company's might make a better suppressors. Might!?! but are they twice as good?? I will let you know when I pick up the Wells.

These suppressors were at a shoot over the weekend, did anyone go and see first hand how good they were?? Probably not, no one even wants to give them a try. So I did, I will let you know when I get it and I will let you know what I think. If I was wrong, I will formaly and publicly say I was wrong. If there is anyone on here that wants to compare theres to this one, I live in Colorado. I am guessing I am still 90 days out. But I would love to try it against an AAC and all the others brands. Maybe it wont be the best but I am sure it will be closer in performance then it is in price.

I heard there was a couple members at the shoot that got to see the suppressor in action. Anyone interested in sharing there thought that have seen it in action?

thanks

I was there and I got to shoot his .30 cal can, and the .22 rimfire can. I heard the .30 shot on two different guns (one of the shooters wanted to try it with his own gun & ammo) and Dave accommodated that. These were all bolt-action rifles (.308 and .22LR).

There was also a more well known can on the line too, and that was used for comparison. All were single point attachments.

The cans overall sounded great to me, and I own a .223 and .308 can (form 4 not back) from other mfgs.

The .30 can was shot at about 200 yards at some balloons and stuff I stuck on the pit frame before making my way out to the line to join them.

The .22 can was shot at a steel poper about 75Y away.

I personally shot both cans on the guns with both match grade and subsonic ammo, and stood to the side and listened to both cans being shot in kind. (ETA - I was also in the pits when both cans were fired. At this time I did not know how far away they were, but I detected NO report at all. Only impacts. I gave a cease-fire signal, hung additional targets up, and went to join them.)

The .30 can was very nice. It sounded TO ME to be as quiet as any other .30 can I have heard. If you were blindfolded you could not tell which was quieter.

The .22 can was however, astonishing. It was on a trainer he built on a single shot 40x action. I have heard and shot 4 or 5 other .22LR cans and I considered this one the quietest by far. I was gobsmacked.

I also asked to remove the .308 can from the rifle so I could inspect the construction. I'm not a welder or machinist but I know what good quality building work looks like. The can was stout and well made. I didn't weigh or measure it but it appeared to be slightly heavier and a little longer than others I have seen.

I do not profess to be a suppressor expert as (other than the Mp5SD) I had no professional contact with them. That said, my OPINION is that they worked great, appeared to be a good value, and appeared sturdy enough for even hard field use.

Dave had a 1911 there that he built as well. It was a beautiful pistol, but I'm not a 1911 guy so I can't address the particulars of why it was cool. It was slick-gorgeous in every respect and I leave it at that.

Dave is good people, and I wouldn't hesitate to engage him professionally with any service he offers.

--Fargo007

I spoke with Dave Wells this afternoon on the phone and we setup a time on Sunday for me to demo the suppressor. I will try to get some pics and give an update regarding what's being said here with my own findings.

I am thinking about picking one up since the price is so good, it would be a factory built comparison to the Form 1's I helped my dad tinker with over the last few years. I'm looking forward to putting the offering by Mr. Wells through it's paces.

For those who may be within reasonable driving distance, Dave has kindly offered people to come up and test drive the cans. I can't think of a better way to make a decision for yourself. For those members who are not within a reasonable driving distance then you'll have to rely on those of us who are. Right now that's only 3 people in this thread. I will report my findings when I have them.

As promised, I have an update regarding the Wells Suppressor line.

Yesterday a friend of mine and I made the trip up to visit Dave Wells and do a little shooting together.

The first thing we did was rip a few mags through his suppressed STEN gun with the cruise control engaged... that alone made the trip worth it. A personal goal of mine is to see and shoot the common tools of the trade from WWII and this was one that I hadn't been privy to yet.

We also took some time to shoot his 22 rimfire suppressor. When Dave and I were on the phone last week he assured me that his 22rf can does not have a First Round Pop issue. He's quite true, we shot it off and on through the first stint of the day and there was no pop on the first round. I went so far as to take the can off, blow through it a few times, spin it back on and shoot it again.... no pop, just a click from the firing pin hitting the back of the case.

The 300 Mag can is very nice. He brought his 308 out with an assortment of ammo to try. I brought some ammo of my own to try (and found out that the 308 Lee dies that I have are questionable for sizing... but some fit in the rifle).

We shot subsonic cast bullets, supersonic jacketed rounds of various weights and did some group testing at 200yd.

Being his rifle and familiarity with the rifle, I asked Dave to print groups on the paper for me. First was to double check the zero and make a necessary (2 clicks) correction.

3 Rounds with suppressor: Mark the holes, go back to the line
3 rounds without suppressor: Note the slight POI shift

poi_shift.jpg

As you can see, the first holes with tick marks are the suppressed group. The second is the unsuppressed group with no marks.

There's no horizontal shift and the vertical is ~ 1 MOA. (This picture is scanned sideways for some reason, I don't know what's going on with our scanner/copier at work. The group was shot at 3 o'clock, it's just rotated 90* counter clockwise)

The suppressor is extremely quiet, I've been around a lot of the big name suppressors, I've built Form 1's with my dad (I think he's up to 8 of them now) and have done a fair bit of modeling with the suppressor internals. This is a top notch product.

Dave Wells has a top quality, FA rated, 300WM capable suppressor that is top not construction and performance.

To anyone who is on the fence about visiting, it's well worth the travel time. I drove about 2h 45m each way and I enjoyed it all.

Dave also does custom 1911's and a full service rifle shop. His tricked out, slicked up 1911 that he showed us yesterday is GORGEOUS and for the asking price, you could spend more on a Sprinfield Operator and still end up with an out of the box gun vs. a custom that will make the 1.5" @ 50yd or better test.

I'd like to thank him for his generosity and I'm anxiously awaiting for my paperwork to go through for my new Wells 300 Suppressor.

I heard the same thing from people when I bought my cancorp suppressor. I should listen to it first and that I was a moron for buying it without more info and company history. But I am glad I did. After having it for a month now. Its better than I hoped for. Some times you just got to "roll the dice". Sometimes you will come out ahead and sometimes you wont. Good luck with your purchase.

I had the luck of meeting bohem as well as shooting with him and discussing various engineering aspects of design work as we are both engineers and avid shooters. I trust his opinion and in addition, there is something to be said about someone who has the access to the equipment, and knowledge to machine their own can with any type of baffles they want (including copying other manufactures) who chooses to purchase an off the shelf can. Just food for thought.

Suppressors are not black magic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul.W</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I heard the same thing from people when I bought my cancorp suppressor. I should listen to it first and that I was a moron for buying it without more info and company history. But I am glad I did. After having it for a month now. Its better than I hoped for. Some times you just got to "roll the dice". Sometimes you will come out ahead and sometimes you wont. Good luck with your purchase. </div></div>

You're right, not always is a new product going to be good, nor is a new product going to be bad just because it doesn't have the reputation that the big players do.

That was why I went up to try them out before buying. Dave was patient and went through any thing that I asked him to demonstrate and explained a lot of details regarding the design and manufacturing that made me much more comfortable with it.

I hope this quell some of the disbelief about them, I'm sure not everyone will be convinced nor will they want to purchase one. Again, if someone's in the market and can handle the travel time, I would strongly recommend going to see them in person. That's what made me willing to purchase one. It doesn't matter how good the price is, if it's a junk product it isn't worth anything. Once in a while that leap to try a new product is worthwhile. I never would buy a suppressor "sound unheard" no matter what company it came from.

ETA: Flounder, thanks for the vote of confidence. BTW, I'll be back out at Tom's the weekend after Labor Day for the triple. Hope to see you there.

This is the information that I have been looking for. I appriciate the time that you took to review the product and I hope that I will be able to give my review on it soon. This will be my first suppressor and I am excited, I just wish that I could get it fast then the speed of government.

Nuclabuyer any report on the suppressor?

I am glad not everyone is like a few posters here, then we would still be hunting and playing with rocks. Someone has to take the chance and try something new or why would anyone make it. The same stuff was said about Glock in the 1980s "junk" "plastic crap" what ever you want, now look they are one of the most prolific firearms in the world. If John Browing had that mentality we porbly wouldnt have firearms as we know them today!

I live about 10 minutes from Daves shop and learned about him about 3 years ago, but being a procrastinator never got up to his shop. I have talk with him at local auctions, gun shows, and various places over the last several years and he was always great to talk to. Finnaly a cupple day ago I stoped up the shop just to check it out and see what he had.

I love 1911s so I asked if he had one I could handle and check out. He handed me his personal carry 1911 and let check it out and play around. It was one of the tightest nicest 1911 I have ever handled. Even though I love 1911s I am no expert so I had many questions as to what, why and how his were made and he answered every question I had plus questions I would of had later. So needles to say after about an hour of handling the pistol and asking question I ordered one. When you stop by Daves shop he takes you in and treats you like family. So far it is one of the best experience I have ever had with-in the firearms industry I give Dave a A++ so far when my 1911 is finish and I get a change to take it to the range I will let you all know the rest. Honestly the biggest reason I ordered on of his 1911s was the kind and friendly service and conversations I had with Dave.

Caveman says "always test your suppressor before you buy it, it is stupid to buy a suppressor that nobody has heard. Nobody should "chance" a $200 tax stamp, 6 months and then pay for the can" Uggghh...."Can not 1911, especially when we not know what 1911 he gottem"...Ugggghhh....

I agree that you should do plenty of research before you buy, but it is going to be impossible to test a bunch of suppressors side by side for many, if not most people. I live in a fairly large city and there's no way I could do pull this off. The SOT dealer here does not offer range trips to test their products, plus they only carry a couple of brands so that wouldn't show you what is the best on the market, just the best they had.

I agree Gavin. You cant test a firearm before you buy it unless you have a good shop like mine(when he gets to know ya) and he will let ya try used firearms. So 90% of the time the firearm you are buying besides what people reccomend it shot in the dark. Even the big companies have firearms from the factory that are just a huge POS lemon sometimes.

No, I havent got it back yet. Still in paper work stage. I was busy through the christmas months and didnt send in my paper work. They have it now and I will be ready to give a report when I get it back. There is no one around here that I know of that has a suppressor to compair with. Once I get it, I will try to track down one and run it side by side.

Also sorry to anyone that I affended though this post. Wasn't what I was trying to do

I picked up my 30c suppressor from Dave on Thursday 2/17

The thing is very quiet, I had it out at the NHRPC Long Range AR and Precision match yesterday.

The zero shift on my LR-260 with 24" barrel is about 1 MOA down, no windage shift.

I put it on the front of my 7/3000 WSM and launched some 140 BTSP's and 162 Amax's out to 600yd with it and it was ear safe and a pleasure to shoot. It was drilling plates all along the range from 300-600yd easily. The rifle has been shot with and without the can, it's a shooter for sure. This rifle showed a 1.5 MOA down shift at 500yd, no windage change either.

Fargo007 got to shoot the 7/300 with the can on it, hit on round 1 @ 500yd with no trouble. I won't speak for him, my take on his reaction was that he was impressed with it as well.

I'm very pleased with the can. Here's a picture of it sitting on my LR-260 at the match. I didn't shoot the majority of the match, I shot 2 stages as time permitted because I was just there to RSO for Freddy.

Anyone that's near me and too far to drive for a visit up to see Dave Wells is welcome to get in touch with me and we'll plan a time to meet up at New Holland's 600yd range. You can try it out with some subsonics and full bore loads.

I think it's well worth the price paid for it. It may not be one of the sexy all Titanium cans, but at 1/2-1/3 of the price, it's well worth the cost. I can't afford to spend an easy 4 figures on a can, but I could afford to spend mid , especially after hearing it back to back against other high dollar competitors.

Josh_LR_260_wells_can.jpg

Sorry about the past expereances with Dave Wells, I talked to him via email about 10 times and on the phone a couple times and has stuck to his word so far. There are a couple people on here that have had good experiances with him and my class III has the suppressor and says it looks good. Happy with everything so far, waiting for the day to go shoot it.

As i figured, there is always 2 sides to the story. Not everyone can please 100% of the people. But I do have to say that at this point I am happy with the way that everything has happened with Dave Wells. Like I mentioned earlier, I have conversed with him both via email and phone and everything has happened as planned and promised. I am waiting approval of the suppressor for a write up but the people that have first hand experiance with his products have reassured me to expect nothing less then a first class product.

If you want to find out more about a particular Gunsmith-just do a GOOGLE search.If you are happy with what you read-send him your money.