• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Went on a hump today...

billygoatninja88

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2014
north west
900628796139fbb5b9d959f239bc6f25.jpg

Looks like BillyGoatNinja should have been wearing his mall-security-wall-walking "special slippers"!

I'm sorry man, heal up soon and get back to it...... ;)

Damn dude, as a former 03, I only ever had something like that happen once. It was actually athletes foot and it bled after a 10 miler. Other than that, no blister or anything. Next time, try mole skin. Shit works wonders. Also, do what I do now: lots of companies make green or black socks that are freaking awesome. Very expensive though, at between 15 and 20 bucks a pair. But, they wont fail you. I promise they wont. Looks like you may want to take a look at the back seam and burn lose strings and take a new razor and shave any protruding leather on the upper heal. You can break your arm and still move, but those feet are your life savors (but you know that!!)

One more thing, it looks like you looped your strings around the top of your boots way to fucking tight. If you cannot slip a finger though them sort of easily, do it again. I developed a system for myself that locked the laces in the eyelets that enabled me to tighten my boots with out having to readjust during the day. It also allowed me to not have to make a tourniquet out of the leftovers.

Funny thing is I wore heavy weight wool socks and the whole hike I felt it rubbing. I thought it was just going to blister. The picture was after I changed they were the only ones I has with me. Its not as bad as it looks it was like a half inch where it was rubbing but my sock heel was covered in blood. I probably won't were these again for a hike. Too bad we can't wear Oakley boots or something!!!!!!!!

Ok, different boots in the future then. I always wore Green Altima Jungles. My guess they are a nono now. At the very least, buy some green or black smart wool socks (only hump in them, haha) and buy some premium mole skin. Always wear the moleskin on a hump. It has saved my ass on several half marathons and one full marathon. Good for the nips too I might add...

Woah, couldn't tell at first. I got nothing for ya man. Hopefully a better pair of socks will help. I always used thinner socks and just tied my laces tighter. I never did the tie the rest around the boot thing. I just made two big loops and tucked them in to the side. Was it because the boots are broken down? after my Danners were about done, the hard plastic in the back near the Achilles Tendon cracked off and would cut me every now and then, but I just ripped all that out. Maybe give Danner a call and see if they can provide advice.

I tie them like that because the laces are retarded long and it sucks to tuck it all in. My other ones I don't do that. I probably just use my bates instead

Suck it up and shut up.

nothing 100 mph tape wont fix.

Like said above Mole skin and better socks, maybe better boots, I always liked my 1980 cruit boots for humping long distance.

Last edited:
i remember breakinig a set of those in climbing Grace and Tories peak colorado it was something like 14000 ft mountain had blisters the size of pancakes ;D

I always wore a nice thin pair of dress socks (some even wear pantyhose leggings) and then a wool sock and I never had a hot spot or blister issues. Have taken care of many a blister in my day on the green side. Inject a little tincture of benzoin in there (hot shot), slap that puppy back down and move along:)

Edit: On a side not, just cut the damn laces to the proper length and burn the tips and that way you can tuck them under the boot bands.

Last edited:
I ended up using 4x4 gauze and 2 inch wide clear tape since I couldn't find 100 mph tape. Don't get me wrong these boots are nice and I love them just doesn't work out for my foot. Noe one size fits all I guess

Last edited:
Like Hairball, I wear a pair of calf-high women's pantyhose under my socks for more than two decades. Even with new boots, I have never had a blister or hot spot. I bought four pair for $1 about 6 years ago, and they are still going strong.

That looks pretty serious. If you are able to and have the strength, I would recommend calling someone to pick up some antibiotic spray. Some chicken noodle soup and a week off work may help.

Like hair ball said benzoin ointment for next time. That stuff is real sticky. Wipe it on your heal let sit till tacky. Then put on the mole skin before you get a blister( before you ever start walking).Put on your sock. Leave the moleskin on for up to 3 days if no problems.

HAHAHA!!!!!! I'm not the only one with those scars!!!! Take some motrin and walk it off or get your meal card stamped no more desert!!!!

Mole skin and bactriban!!!!

Another little pearl is to keep a pair of boots that run a half size over what you would usually wear in garrison on a daily basis. Many have issues with feet swelling on longer humps and if it's excessively hot out, feet may swell a little more as the increase in fluid intake is distributed. This larger boot gives the extra room the foot may need before it gets jamed in there and starts rubbing. If you do need to wrap the laces, make sure you don't tie them tight enough to compromise fluid flow (to and from feet). I see in the pick you have them tight and on long humps it may be an issue. When I was in, anytime we made humps we removed boot bands to allow for better ventilation.

Last edited:
Well at least you didn't get the silver bullet. At least I hope you didnt. If you fucked up your foot and got the silver bullet.........thats a shitty hump.

Don't use duct tape, that only makes things worse. Things to try are the blister pads by spenco they seem to stick better than the others, tegaderm, hikegoo, a light hiker wool sock, and these RUN 2.0 Lightweight No-Show - Wool - RUN - Shop I have found wool is softer than synthetic and thus doesn't blister as soon. I get blisters just thinking about it and using the combination of hikegoo, light hiker wool sock, and those injinji socks I haven't gotten a blister in awhile. I just did a 12 mile ruck with 55 lbs and no blisters at all. The hikegoo is the shit!!

https://www.footkinetics.com/products/hikegoo-regular-2/

Don't use duct tape, that only makes things worse. Things to try are the blister pads by spenco they seem to stick better than the others, tegaderm, hikegoo, a light hiker wool sock, and these RUN 2.0 Lightweight No-Show - Wool - RUN - Shop I have found wool is softer than synthetic and thus doesn't blister as soon. I get blisters just thinking about it and using the combination of hikegoo, light hiker wool sock, and those injinji socks I haven't gotten a blister in awhile. I just did a 12 mile ruck with 55 lbs and no blisters at all. The hikegoo is the shit!!

https://www.footkinetics.com/products/hikegoo-regular-2/

+1
Tea Soaks for macerated feet? - Podiatry Arena also lemon juice.
Ultramarathoner: Foot care and first aid (Part 2) | Jacqueline Windh