• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Were Firearms Readily Available to You as a Kid?

Did you have access to firearms as a kid?

• Unlimited access.

Votes: 71 50.0%
  • Could access, but had to ask permission.

Votes: 66 46.5%
  • Firearms were locked away and/or hidden.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • My parents were dope smoking hippies / no guns.

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters
We lived in a pretty crime heavy area. Lower middle class neighborhood.
There were guns in known spots, hidden but accessible. We were also taught that if they were taken out, they had to be used. The one foot in rule was always in play.
Looking back, I think it’s funny how only the hunting rifles were locked away.

Ps, I never took one to school to prove a point... but that’s a different topic all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: j-huskey
I was raised in 2 households. Mom and Dad, and my paternal Granddad and Grandmother. Both places were very rural
My Grandad, the finest, most hard working, honest and fair man I have ever been around in my life had been a Dept. Sheriff earlier in his life and had put down a few and put lots in prison so always carried in one way or another except for 1 time.
He got his ass kicked by several people ONE time early in his LE time because he didn't have a gun at a Social event as my Grandmother didn't want him carrying at a dance and he didn't, to keep her happy. That never happened again and he taught me as a very young child ALL about guns, both rifles and pistols and the need to have them with you or close by at all times.
My Grandad gave me my first rifle, a single shot Stevens 22 when I was 6 and taught me all about it and how to carry, shoot and clean it.{I still have it}

When with my Grandparents I was expected to have that rifle within an arm's reach at all times and know where the other guns were within the house and be proficient with all.

At my parents house I was the only one with a gun and it had to be in the closet with the bolt removed. BB gun was good to go everywhere. BB guns were for fun.

As I raised my kids, rifles were readily available just out of the reach of toddlers and each of my children were trained and drilled as soon as they were old enough how to shoot and shoot safely and there was never any FUCKIN around with any firearm of any sort.

I keep most of them locked up now except for the ones I need on a daily basis as theft is a problem and I can't carry a safe on my back.

I know in my heart that everything my Grandad taught me about firearms and skills in the woods had a big part to play in me surviving my tour in Vietnam. FM

PS All of my children are very proficient, active shooters and my Grandchildren are learning too. We are all on a learning curve of some sort all of the time.

Klien's, Herters, Hunters Lodge, who am I forgetting? It has been a few years.
Who adorned the inside covers of The Rifleman when it was a real magazine and the buys were great. We just didn't have the money to fulfill all of our wishes, but always saving for something and it came in the mail.

Reactions: Snipe260