• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Were-O-Were did the 277 fury go

richidaho

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2014
Blackfoot, ID
Anyone one have an information on the cross chambered in the 277 fury? I keep looking at sigs website. Called a few dealers and no one seams to know if and when the cross will be offered in the 277.

I’m aware of the recalls and problems with the cross rifle. I’m sure this slowed the issue of the 277. Kind of wondering if this is going to be a wild cat lost in history. Well if anyone has an information let me know.

Thanks

Reactions: Frankr
I hope not, I've already got a resizing jig drawn up waiting to be built to turn .277 fury brass into 6.5CM and .308 Win because I know that my rifles can handle the extra bolt thrust, and I want to see if I can reach 300WSM performance from a standard .308 chamber! 🧐

Honestly even if they end up not going forward with the caliber, I'd pay a decent penny for the dual-part brass available in .308 bolt face derived cartridges from the go. Most modern .308 chamber rifles are capable of handling the pressure and bolt thrust, so there are real gains to be made there with the hybrid case tech.

Reactions: Bravo6 and z987k
300 WSM vel in a hybrid 308 case! Phenomenal.
according SIG, They use a circular insert (washer?) in priming pocket for some practical reason..
that may impede reloading in short run, they claim.
they also plan a long action for longer cartridges. I had read somewhere that short action frame isnt compatible
with wider cartridges like 300 WSM I wonder if they will make longer frame wide enough to manage wider cartridges (Magnums) or come up with a new longer hybrid cartridge.

300 WSM vel in a hybrid 308 case! Phenomenal.
according SIG, They use a circular insert (washer?) in priming pocket for some practical reason..
that may impede reloading in short run, they claim.
they also plan a long action for longer cartridges. I had read somewhere that short action frame isnt compatible
with wider cartridges like 300 WSM I wonder if they will make longer frame wide enough to manage wider cartridges (Magnums) or come up with a new longer hybrid cartridge.
I’m a hobbyist machinist, if I need specialized tools to make it happen then I’ll just have to make them. I may have a line on some spent .277 Fury brass since I know someone who bought the Spear package and is just waiting on transfer paperwork to clear.

from what I’ve seen the washer isn’t in the primer pocket but is a lock washer holding the brass body and steel case head together, the primer pocket appears normal. its possible the flash hole is restricted or reinforced to prevent primer popping, only way to tell for sure is to get my hands on some. I have a feeling that crimping the primer in like military loads may be required, but I already have a suitable tool for that.

Problem as I see it is that Sig apparently has no definite plans to allow other companies to produce the 277. They are changing $80 for the hybrid case stuff. The non hybrid, all brass case, ammo is lower priced but doesn’t do anything special velocity wise as I recall. Sounds like Sony Beta max…

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Problem as I see it is that Sig apparently has no definite plans to release production of the the ammo and is changing $80 for the hybrid case stuff. The non hybrid, all brass case, ammo is lower priced but doesn’t do anything special velocity wise as I recall. Sounds like Sony Beta max…
according to everything said so far they do, they particularly said to expect hunting ammunition with the bimetal case for a .277 chambered Sig Cross bolt action.

my particular interest is just seeing what potential the increased pressure can provide to large frame ARs and similar semiauto platforms, as those are physically constrained to a maximum cartridge size unlike a bolt action where you can just make the action as long as required.

being able to take a large frame precision semi and get it to successfully stabilize and reach useful velocities with 200gr OTM and 210gr hybrids would be a major step up in capability there, and/or exploring a 7mm mag analog but using the 7mm08 profile.

on the other end of the spectrum, the math says a .375 Raptor cartridge using sig brass should just about reach the same energies as 375 H&H mag.... semi auto elephant gun anyone?

according to everything said so far they do, they particularly said to expect hunting ammunition with the bimetal case for a .277 chambered Sig Cross bolt action.

my particular interest is just seeing what potential the increased pressure can provide to large frame ARs and similar semiauto platforms, as those are physically constrained to a maximum cartridge size unlike a bolt action where you can just make the action as long as required.

being able to take a large frame precision semi and get it to successfully stabilize and reach useful velocities with 200gr OTM and 210gr hybrids would be a major step up in capability there, and/or exploring a 7mm mag analog but using the 7mm08 profile.

on the other end of the spectrum, the math says a .375 Raptor cartridge using sig brass should just about reach the same energies as 375 H&H mag.... semi auto elephant gun anyone?
I was referring to releasing production to other companies, allowing other companies to produce it. Allowing competition. Edited my post

I was referring to releasing production to other companies, allowing other companies to produce it. Allowing competition. Edited my post
if the military picks it up for the NGSW they won’t have a choice, and considering the recent developments in that program where the army ordered 20k units each of the final two competitors for a large scale field trial, its looking increasingly likely.

plus for SIG releasing the design to other companies under license makes sense. the license gives them the leverage to make sure there is a minimum quality standard, while also making the firearms they produce that much more likely to succeed.

so far all the cartridges that have been real commercial successes in the past couple of decades are ones where the original designer has allowed the ammunition market for it to flourish: 6.5 Creedmoor, .450 Bushmaster, .224 Valkyrie, etc.

People are significantly more likely to buy a gunif ammo is readily available

First time I have heard anyone discussing bolt thrust, since the long ago discussions about the strength of the first generation TC Contender. Strong little gun but one had to be careful about a larger cartridges bolt thrust.

First time I have heard anyone discussing bolt thrust, since the long ago discussions about the strength of the first generation TC Contender. Strong little gun but one had to be careful about a larger cartridges bolt thrust.
it is a real concern, simply because of the magnitude of the change and how long 308win has been around. I expect modern actions won't have much of a problem, but older actions/designs may need to be cautious. kind of similar to the situation with 45ACP and 9mm luger today. I wouldn't put +P+ through a P08, but I would certainly feed it to my steyr L9-A2 all week without hesitation.

it is a real concern, simply because of the magnitude of the change and how long 308win has been around. I expect modern actions won't have much of a problem, but older actions/designs may need to be cautious. kind of similar to the situation with 45ACP and 9mm luger today. I wouldn't put +P+ through a P08, but I would certainly feed it to my steyr L9-A2 all week without hesitation.
Same reason you don’t see fellows chambering .308’s in the 1st genration TC Contenders. They could stand the pressure but the break actions could not stand the thrust. Curiously, they could hold up to .45-70’s in the Trapdoor Pressure range and of course the .223 range of rounds including the 7TCU which was invented specifically for the Contender, but not much else.