• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s a good build option?

LeadMedic

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and too long range shooting. My ultimate goal is to build a decent Percision rifle that I will also be able to take hunting. Of course without breaking the bank. My goal was to build using the MDT LSS chassis. However, I have not decided on a caliber or barreled action.

I really like the 6.5 Grendel cartridge but I don’t know if that is good for precision shooting or not. I know a lot of guys use the 6.5 Creedmoor as there go to.

Thoughts?

6.5 Grendel is not a good choice for a long range bolt gun. It is made the way it is as a compromise to fit into and AR15 platform, it does that quite well, but it is not a good bolt gun choice. 6.5 Creedmoor is a great choice, good accuracy and barrel life. Lots of choices in good factory ammo. They do everything good enough. If you reload, you can consider one of the little 6mm's as a better alternative to that Grendel. 6br, 6bra,6brx, dasher, 6Gt are all good choices but a little more advanced if you are just starting out. I personally love 6mm Creedmoor, but hardly ever like to recommend it to anyone due to very short barrel life.
Get a 6.5cm barreled action from any reputable builder, put it in the chassis of your choice and use it well. When you smoke that barrel your skills will be solid and you can move up to an exotic.

I agree with the above post. I like 6 creed but 6.5 would give you longer barrel life.

6.5 Grendel is not a good choice for a long range bolt gun. It is made the way it is as a compromise to fit into and AR15 platform, it does that quite well, but it is not a good bolt gun choice. 6.5 Creedmoor is a great choice, good accuracy and barrel life. Lots of choices in good factory ammo. They do everything good enough. If you reload, you can consider one of the little 6mm's as a better alternative to that Grendel. 6br, 6bra,6brx, dasher, 6Gt are all good choices but a little more advanced if you are just starting out. I personally love 6mm Creedmoor, but hardly ever like to recommend it to anyone due to very short barrel life.
Get a 6.5cm barreled action from any reputable builder, put it in the chassis of your choice and use it well. When you smoke that barrel your skills will be solid and you can move up to an exotic.
Thank you so much! Do you have a preferred barreled action? I’ve heard a lot of good things about howa and bergara. Is 20” a good barrel length for 6.5?

There are lots of good barreled actions on the market right now. For a factory build, Howa, Bergara or Tikka are good choices. If you are willing to step up a bit on price point, I would look at the Badrock southfork barreled action and set it in the chassis of your choice. Since you said you are interested in the MDT LSS chasssis, the complete Badrock Southfork rifle comes in a MDT LSSxl chassis with a trigger tech trigger and is based on a Defiance Machine action. Alot of bang for the buck in these purpose built production class rifles.
As far as barrel length, personal preference, for me a 22" 6.5CM is perfection. I mostly shoot suppressed. In my opinion the 20" is too short to get the velocity needed for longer range. Most distance shooters with 6.5CM use a 24-26" barrel.

Reactions: LeadMedic
For a new long range shooter a 6.5 CM is a great option, the MDT LSS is also a great chassis. Its hard to beat the future upgrade options you will have with the 700 pattern actions like the Bergara.

There are lots of good barreled actions on the market right now. For a factory build, Howa, Bergara or Tikka are good choices. If you are willing to step up a bit on price point, I would look at the Badrock southfork barreled action and set it in the chassis of your choice. Since you said you are interested in the MDT LSS chasssis, the complete Badrock Southfork rifle comes in a MDT LSSxl chassis with a trigger tech trigger and is based on a Defiance Machine action. Alot of bang for the buck in these purpose built production class rifles.
As far as barrel length, personal preference, for me a 22" 6.5CM is perfection. I mostly shoot suppressed. In my opinion the 20" is too short to get the velocity needed for longer range. Most distance shooters with 6.5CM use a 24-26" barrel.
I did look into the Badrock Southfork and I really liked it. I may end up going with that.

on another note (for reloading) I have a set of Lee dies, an RCBS rock chucker press, and a priming tool. Is there anything else that I would need to get started? I also was going to used starling brass with cci small magnum rifle primers and hodgdon h4350 topped with 143gr ELD-x. Any preferences or is this a good start?

Savage if you like MDT...

Prone200yards.jpg

VooDoo

Spend decent dollars on a decent scope.
First Focal Plane.
MRAD reticle.
Definitely build some custom handloads to suit your rifle.
Set for life!
I know it costs more, but look at Lapua brass.
The cost diminishes overtime, because you should get more reloads per case, and more consistency.
It's certainly helped me avoid the headfuck that others have suffered.
Most of all...Enjoy!

I did look into the Badrock Southfork and I really liked it. I may end up going with that.

on another note (for reloading) I have a set of Lee dies, an RCBS rock chucker press, and a priming tool. Is there anything else that I would need to get started? I also was going to used starling brass with cci small magnum rifle primers and hodgdon h4350 topped with 143gr ELD-x. Any preferences or is this a good start?
A couple things.. Depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. H4350 and 6.5CM work very well together I am shooting the 123 ELDMs and they’re performing pretty well. For your consideration:

-Measuring tools
Iguaging digital caliper
Hornady OAL gauge
Tap and die set 5/16-36 RH tpi
Drill bit. 290 letter gauge L
Sinclair comparator body
Sinclair comparator inserts
Sinclair bump gauge inserts
Sinclair concentricity gauge

-Powder measuring
ChargeMaster Lite
Lyman powder funnel kit

-Case prep
Lyman tumbler
Media corncob or walnut
RCBS chamfer/deburr tool
Sinclair/Lee trimmer
Case holder-New brass
Case holder-Fired brass
Hand primer

-Dies
Sinclair expander bushing die
Sinclair expander mandrel
RCBS universal decapping die
Redding Type S match FL sizing die
Redding Type S neck sizing bushing
Hornady Lock Rings
Redding competition seating die

-Miscellaneous
Hornady one shot case lube
Sinclair loading blocks
Chronograph
Shell Holders
Brake cleaner
Imperial neck sizing (graphite)

-Order websites
Natchez
Powder Valley
Midsouth shooters supply
Midway USA
Sinclair international
Brownells
Palmetto state armory
Graph and sons
RMR bullets
Inline fabrication
Peterson cartridge company

-Information
Lyman book
Nosler book
Hornady book

Reactions: Brazo
Spend decent dollars on a decent scope.
First Focal Plane.
MRAD reticle.
Definitely build some custom handloads to suit your rifle.
Set for life!
I know it costs more, but look at Lapua brass.
The cost diminishes overtime, because you should get more reloads per case, and more consistency.
It's certainly helped me avoid the headfuck that others have suffered.
Most of all...Enjoy!
How many loads can you get out of a case? I’ve only ever reloaded pistol ammo.

A couple things.. Depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. H4350 and 6.5CM work very well together I am shooting the 123 ELDMs and they’re performing pretty well. For your consideration:

-Measuring tools
Iguaging digital caliper
Hornady OAL gauge
Tap and die set 5/16-36 RH tpi
Drill bit. 290 letter gauge L
Sinclair comparator body
Sinclair comparator inserts
Sinclair bump gauge inserts
Sinclair concentricity gauge

-Powder measuring
ChargeMaster Lite
Lyman powder funnel kit

-Case prep
Lyman tumbler
Media corncob or walnut
RCBS chamfer/deburr tool
Sinclair/Lee trimmer
Case holder-New brass
Case holder-Fired brass
Hand primer

-Dies
Sinclair expander bushing die
Sinclair expander mandrel
RCBS universal decapping die
Redding Type S match FL sizing die
Redding Type S neck sizing bushing
Hornady Lock Rings
Redding competition seating die

-Miscellaneous
Hornady one shot case lube
Sinclair loading blocks
Chronograph
Shell Holders
Brake cleaner
Imperial neck sizing (graphite)

-Order websites
Natchez
Powder Valley
Midsouth shooters supply
Midway USA
Sinclair international
Brownells
Palmetto state armory
Graph and sons
RMR bullets
Inline fabrication
Peterson cartridge company

-Information
Lyman book
Nosler book
Hornady book
Thank you very much!

Half dozen or more, depending on how hot the loads are. How you prep the cases, annel, neck size.... etc, etc

I have brass I'm still reloading that goes back to the 80/90s and has over a dozen loadings on them.

Depending on how hot you load them, 6-10 times.
Which ends up being a decent savings.
I've heard of guys getting up to 12-15 reloads, but I've never done that.
Lapua brass is the go for me, though am trying a batch of Sako brass.

Depending on how hot you load them, 6-10 times.
Which ends up being a decent savings.
I've heard of guys getting up to 12-15 reloads, but I've never done that.
Lapua brass is the go for me, though am trying a batch of Sako brass.
I’m at 12 or 13x on my Peterson brass and still going strong

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and too long range shooting. My ultimate goal is to build a decent Percision rifle that I will also be able to take hunting. Of course without breaking the bank. My goal was to build using the MDT LSS chassis. However, I have not decided on a caliber or barreled action.

I really like the 6.5 Grendel cartridge but I don’t know if that is good for precision shooting or not. I know a lot of guys use the 6.5 Creedmoor as there go to.

Thoughts?
Actually, it depends.
Hunting what? cartridge choice is often dictated by the game you seek and the area that you hunt.
Is the Grendel a viable long range cartridge?
Depends. What is long range to you?
Do you plan on eventually competing?
The Grendel is surprisingly capable, as is the 6mm ARC. realistically, we are talking 800 yards or so, but they can definitely go longer.

Is the creedmoor a better choice? Typically, yes. Don't be fooled. Barrel life is not that great, but not terrible either. 2,500 or so rounds is pretty typical. Advantages: Lots of good, factory match offerings, low recoil, inherently accurate cartridge. Excellent hunting round.

Your biggest challenge is that no rifles are to be found anywhere.

I would say 6.5 creed. If you want to stick with a Grendel sized cartridge what about 224 Valkyrie?

I've had a Howa Mini HB 6.5 Grendel in a MDT for several years. It is a good deer gun and suppresses better than my kids Creed. I've shot successfully out to 700-800. There are many many choices but in he end the choice is yours alone.

Reactions: Memberberries
Actually, it depends.
Hunting what? cartridge choice is often dictated by the game you seek and the area that you hunt.
Is the Grendel a viable long range cartridge?
Depends. What is long range to you?
Do you plan on eventually competing?
The Grendel is surprisingly capable, as is the 6mm ARC. realistically, we are talking 800 yards or so, but they can definitely go longer.

Is the creedmoor a better choice? Typically, yes. Don't be fooled. Barrel life is not that great, but not terrible either. 2,500 or so rounds is pretty typical. Advantages: Lots of good, factory match offerings, low recoil, inherently accurate cartridge. Excellent hunting round.

Your biggest challenge is that no rifles are to be found anywhere.
I want to build a good gun that I can take out and shoot long range accurately ...to like 500-800 meters.... and be able to take down mountain sheep type game at about 300-600 meters. Competing may be in the future but mostly just for fun. Thoughts?

I've had a Howa Mini HB 6.5 Grendel in a MDT for several years. It is a good deer gun and suppresses better than my kids Creed. I've shot successfully out to 700-800. There are many many choices but in he end the choice is yours alone.
How accurate is accurate at 700-800? Like pie plate size group? Or better/worse?