• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s most comfortable hiking/shooting boot.

Aviatorfreak

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2019
Hey guys. Just curious what is a good comfortable hiking boot. I have a pair of keen steel toes(from work) and they get sore after 4-5 hours. I’m a big dude at 250 pounds so that doesn’t help but seems these boots make my feet sore quick any suggestions.

Do you have an REI nearby? In my opinion the comfort and fit of boots can vary drastically from person to person. Just because I prefer a low or zero drop shoe and boot, doesn’t mean it will fit your foot at all or feel comfortable. REI usually does a pretty decent job letting your try on many different kinds of boots, and has a crazy return policy. You can go out and hike in them and still bring them back if you find they don’t quite work out.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
And I’m flat footed. That’s probably a double wammy with my weight

Lowa Renegade. The non goretex ones. They’ve been phenomenal for me personally and I’m flat footed as fuck and also in the heavyweight division.

Reactions: Kwe1982
Lowa Renegade. The non goretex ones. They’ve been phenomenal for me personally and I’m flat footed as fuck and also in the heavyweight division.
Gotcha I see the gtx. I guess that means goretex. Just curious why the non goretex

They work good for me all year. I live in the southeast so my feet cook in goretex boots. I put some wax on them and really my feet only get wet when standing in water for a while. Walking through dew or puddles never seems to get in.

1. Super feet insoles. These are the go-to in the SF community and most of their usage is similar or worse than ours.

You are standing on the insoles first, and the boots second.

2. Zamberlan GTX BOA military boots rock. Mine have taken all day abuse for 14 months now and are still at 60% life left. You also pay for it.

Didn't know I wanted this. Now I do.

Reactions: Scott Smith
Do you have an REI nearby? In my opinion the comfort and fit of boots can vary drastically from person to person. Just because I prefer a low or zero drop shoe and boot, doesn’t mean it will fit your foot at all or feel comfortable. REI usually does a pretty decent job letting your try on many different kinds of boots, and has a crazy return policy. You can go out and hike in them and still bring them back if you find they don’t quite work out.
Or just window shop at REI. They are not gun friendly.

I wear Danner Super Rain Forrest boots, they are the most comfortable longest wearing boots I have ever worn they are waterproof and just fantastic boots, can get them with gortex insulation or not, I work construction and wear them 10 to 12 hours every day, have had this pair for almost four years and they are still in great shape resoled once, not really a hiking boot but I wear them for everything, if I'm outside I have these boots on.

More towards hiking /hunting, Lowa Camino GTX.
Have put over 200 miles on them in the mountains of Idaho and many training at home.
Superfeet insoles, zero blisters some of those miles were with pack at 50lbs.

R

Reactions: rockmyglock
And I’m flat footed. That’s probably a double wammy with my weight

The superfeet insoles mentioned have a decent arch in them and may bother your flat feet.

The Zamberlan Vioz are excellent and are certainly stiff enough to handle a man of your size. The Zamberlan Vioz and other similar Zamberlan boots fit with a wider toe box and narrower heel cup. The boots are available in wide.

I would recommend you get custom orthotics made, rather than buying off the shelf insoles. I have used Superfeet and Sole insoles for years, but they weren't as good as custom orthotics. I have a neutral arch and I could see how these insoles might bother someone with flat feet.

If you don’t need ankle support:

Adidas Swift R2 has the most traction on slick surfaces of any shoe I’ve ever worn. They have a very cramped toe box.

Due to the toe box of the Adidas, I’ve been using Altra Lone Peaks for several years. They’re not super durable but I also do a lot of trail running in mine. If you’re just wearing them to the range and comps, they might last a while.

New Balance makes some really good trail runners that provide excellent traction. It’s been a while since I wore them.

A lot of guys wear Salomon. I think they’re not comfortable and their heel-toe drop is too steep, but it seems like 4/5 operators wear them.

If you need a full blown boot:
I really like the GoRuck MACV-1 and Garmont Bifida T8. The MACV-1 is great for tarmac, gravel, and trail use. The Garmont really shines in the backcountry.

Reactions: Kline
If you don’t need ankle support:

Adidas Swift R2 has the most traction on slick surfaces of any shoe I’ve ever worn. They have a very cramped toe box.

Due to the toe box of the Adidas, I’ve been using Altra Lone Peaks for several years. They’re not super durable but I also do a lot of trail running in mine. If you’re just wearing them to the range and comps, they might last a while.

New Balance makes some really good trail runners that provide excellent traction. It’s been a while since I wore them.

A lot of guys wear Salomon. I think they’re not comfortable and their heel-toe drop is too steep, but it seems like 4/5 operators wear them.

If you need a full blown boot:
I really like the GoRuck MACV-1 and Garmont Bifida T8. The MACV-1 is great for tarmac, gravel, and trail use. The Garmont really shines in the backcountry.

We must have pretty similar feet, as I too love my altra lone Peaks for most everything, and Garmonts for a mil boot.

Reactions: slothlacrosse
I'm a huge fan of Danner boots. If you have Amazon Prime, this is what I do. Order 6 or 7 pairs of Danners through Prime Wardrobe. Try them all for FREE and send back the ones you don't like, then they charge you for the ones you keep. Way better than a 2 minute stroll in a shoe store.

Another vote for Danners.

I use the TFX boots for shooting. Good support, light weight and comfy like a sneaker.

I have been beating the shit out of a pair or work style boots from them for the past year and a half. Love em.

Danners tend to run a little wide, and they make it easy to return them if they don’t fit.

I have tried several boots and shoes and I keep coming back to Asolo Fugitives. I like Selawa Mountain Trainer GTX shoes as well. I've worn out several pairs of both.

Most comfortable boot? Like asking "prettiest actress." Ask 100 people and you'll get 200 answers. Good advice to go to an REI and check them all out. Or, if you've got a dedicated hiking/camping store close. Think boutique, not Cabelas.

The Merrell Moab 2 gets great reviews for comfort. I can attest to that as well. But don't expect the Gore Tex ones to actually be water resistant. ;)

They are comfortable from day 1. No break in required. Great soles. Both low and mid for ankle support. The lows have decent ankle support. They several versions like a water resistant, they aren't, and a more breathable version. The lack of water resistance in the Dry version is well documented in reviews. As well as comfort.

Bottom line, you asked for comfort. These deliver. Will they hit on other needs you're looking for, I don't know. I'm gonna buy the breathable pair for Summer. I ended up wearing the Dry version a lot more than I anticipated this Winter.

As far as general purpose hiking with any load, I like Danner Vital 8” Gtx. Looking at getting some Lowas for a possible goat hunt. Rougher terrain, I reckon I’ll need tougher boots.

Everyone has different feet, height and weight. There is no ONE perfect for everyone. Danner makes a good boot but I can’t wear em at all. Asolo are the most comfy for me yet I know others that hate em. Dude try some on and wear what you want

Reactions: FatBoy
Well shit and shove me in it. They do exist!
DDAC26E4-D1FC-49C6-BD23-3659BF560287.jpeg

OP, thanks for helping me learn something today!

I can attest to Merrell's being super comfortable, light weight and water proof. I have a pair of Alta Light Mids and they're super comfortable and breathable. Just try going half a size up, they seem to run small...or I may have weird feet.

Not true. A shooting boot costs 50% more than a regular boot, is only available via pre-order, consistently misses delivery deadlines, and has a 75% chance of being vapor-ware...

And Made in Germany. Apparently. :geek:

Like the salomons for their light weight and comfey feeling. But my go to are Asolo for serious hiking, did the Appalachian trail twice in these and the held up the best for me and are the most comfortable long range boot!

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I would second the Merrels, but don’t waste your money on the waterproof versions your feet will still get wet, you’ll stay hotter, and they’re heavier. I live in the southeast so its humid 10 months out of the year, unless where I’m going is super loose terrain, or I’m wearing a heavy pack, I just wear light ASICS trail shoes and I carry a few pairs of dry socks. Heavy shoes suck on a long walk. Whatever you buy, make sure they fit and break them in ahead of any serious use.

Where I live in the West, no boot has been better than classic Red Wing work boots with the white crepe sole. Probably not the best for someplace with wet terrain, but I would probably just look at one of their logging boots in that case.

As has been mentioned, insoles are a key part of comfort. I have been a Superfeet guy for years and recommend them. I also tried Red Wings new insole after my last resole and have been really happy with them too. If you try Superfeet, follow their acclimation advice or you're going to have a bad time.

Hey guys. Just curious what is a good comfortable hiking boot. I have a pair of keen steel toes(from work) and they get sore after 4-5 hours. I’m a big dude at 250 pounds so that doesn’t help but seems these boots make my feet sore quick any suggestions.
I have similar issues. I wear my boots around the house for a few months till the boots are broken in. Then swap them for my day to day work boots. If you dont need steel toes ditch em more weight and the boot isn't as flexible. If you do I've found the square toe offers more room and comfort.

Call Peter Limmer in NH and spend some time describing your needs. Then ask him to make you a pair of his lightweights - believe you me, they are stout and last seemingly forever.

If his current wait times are too long, go with the lightest leather Scarpa Boots you can find local.

I am on my third set of Lowa boots. All of our vacations are hiking trips so I need a good comfortable set of boots. The Renegade GTX is my go to. Will even just wear them as an every day half the time.

If you have wide feet they are unmatched for comfort in my opinion. I wear a 14 triple wide and these are still light and durable.

boots are very individual, and what works for one guy may not work for the next. I have worn, Meindl, Russell, Hanwag, Salewa, and Salomon. My Salomon boots are primarily for everyday wear and occasionally for backpacking and hunting, my first choice for those activities is Salewa.

For Hikers, I finally got tired of my Merrills, I loved several sets but the last set left me unhappy. I’ve switched to Solomons and am really happy. I’m always happy with Asolo, they just fit perfectly.

if it’s more of a boot over a mid sized hiker. I used a lot of Bates but ultimately went to Danners and really haven’t looked back. Even their import line is just a better boot in my eyes.

I bought a pair of Belleville 675 last fall. So far, I really like them. I'm an LEO and on my feet a lot throughout the day. I'm trying to get ready for an elk hunt this fall, so I've been rucking 3-4 days a week after work. Over Memorial Day weekend, we went backpacking/camping. We covered almost 30 miles in 1 1/2 days with a 53lb pack on. According to my fitbit, Sunday equivalent to 87 flights of stairs and 55000 steps (about 25 miles.) Sure, my feet were tired. But not smoked, by any means. My only bitch about them is the soles. When they get wet (like standing in water all day), they turn a green-ish color and are slick on boulder type rocks. They have a slimy feel to them. Kind of like when walking on tile in a commercial kitchen with deep fryers, where there is always a thin film of fryer grease in the air. If that makes sense.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
For Hikers, I finally got tired of my Merrills, I loved several sets but the last set left me unhappy. I’ve switched to Solomons and am really happy. I’m always happy with Asolo, they just fit perfectly.

if it’s more of a boot over a mid sized hiker. I used a lot of Bates but ultimately went to Danners and really haven’t looked back. Even their import line is just a better boot in my eyes.

Same here.. switched to Solomons much better than last couple of pair of Merrrells I had. seems quality has gone down a bit

Crispi's are the most comfortable boots I have worn. I am flat footed and wear a SOLO insert. They are like wearing slippers. I highly recommend them.

Do you have an REI nearby? In my opinion the comfort and fit of boots can vary drastically from person to person. Just because I prefer a low or zero drop shoe and boot, doesn’t mean it will fit your foot at all or feel comfortable.

This. Asking other people about comfortable shoes makes zero sense.

I have these and an insulated pair of Danner Gore-Tex hunting boots. I really like them both. Danner rebuilt my MTN Light's with new Gore-Tex, complete sole, shank, etc a couple years ago. I've had them since 1996 or so. I like this option as they do have some sentimental value but also have formed to my feet.
I also like the idea of buying through Amazon wardrobe and trying different pairs. Danner gives you a year to use them and will repair or replace any defect you find in that time. Made in USA.

They have a slimy feel to them. Kind of like when walking on tile in a commercial kitchen with deep fryers, where there is always a thin film of fryer grease in the air. If that makes sense.

Why yes it does. 100%.

1. Super feet insoles. These are the go-to in the SF community and most of their usage is similar or worse than ours.

You are standing on the insoles first, and the boots second.

2. Zamberlan GTX BOA military boots rock. Mine have taken all day abuse for 14 months now and are still at 60% life left. You also pay for it.
man I got this post in the digest email and clicked through to reply “superfeet insoles”. They make such a ridiculous difference, I put them in everything now. I can wear hard sole red wing boots for full days on concrete and I’m good to go. Contrast that with wearing nikes or something soft and I’d take the superfeets with hard outsoles any day.

Crispi thor is my handsdown fav for the past 2 years. Light weight, water resistant, breathable in hot weather, and i have wide feet so they have a wider toe box option.

I'm a big guy as well at 6'8" and 330 lbs. My favorites have been Danner for years followed by Rocky. I also wear orthotics in them but I can stand all day in comfort.

If you have flat feet make sure you get black superfeet insoles. I went through a hiking school twice and the bottom of my feet were pulsating with pain. I wear issued boots and added the black insoles and the second time through the course my feet had zero issues. Buy thin darn tough socks and breathable boots and you'll wish you bought them sooner.

Reactions: Tony1320
man I got this post in the digest email and clicked through to reply “superfeet insoles”. They make such a ridiculous difference, I put them in everything now. I can wear hard sole red wing boots for full days on concrete and I’m good to go. Contrast that with wearing nikes or something soft and I’d take the superfeets with hard outsoles any day.

What color superfeet do you use in your red wings boots? I have a pair I want to try superfeets in

I’m currently wearing Oboz Bridger waterproof. Had them for almost a year and they are great. I wear the 3-5 days a week for work and on weekends. They have held up very well ind I’m not easy on them. Never had them leak while walking thru puddles small creeks or damp grass. Good arch and ankle support.

Or just window shop at REI. They are not gun friendly.

Do you buy ChiCom made footware from a gun friendly retailer ? You will be hard pressed to find any retailer that has the selection or satisfaction policy that REI has on boots. I dont like their policy on guns or designating areas wilderness but can not afford to endlessly buy different boots that do not fit right.