• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk What’s your favourite backpack

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I’m looking at getting a good back pack for my gear at matches. What’s everyone’s favourite?

My favorite is the Eberlestock FAC Track and I put a couple two liter pouches on the sides. Plenty of room for gear.

I have a mystery ranch 3 day. Nice bag but not a great comp bag since it has one main compartment. Would be great for a hiking/camping bag. Ended up buying a GPS Handgunner backpack. Absolutely love it, have everything compartmentalized.

Reactions: Matt_3479
My favorite is the Eberlestock FAC Track and I put a couple two liter pouches on the sides. Plenty of room for gear.
I like the looks of that one. I have the Gunrunner but the features are hit and miss. Probably someone's perfect pack but not mine.

Last edited:
I run the upranger with no side wings and no belt
Looks like a good way to carry stuff stuff like sand bags, ammo, and water so it's not flopping all over. Is there a specific idea with the plastic cover? Is it a pack board or sled or something?

Its so you can set your pack down on the ground and get to everything in it and see it all. Also for mud and such to be easier to handle if you have to set your pack down.

I like the looks of that one. I have the Gunrunner but the features are hit an miss. Probably someone's perfect pack but not me.

Yeah packs are kind of personal preference. I like an open center as it allows me to put my bags, ammo/mags, plate, tool kit on internal pouch out of the way etc inside and on the outside I have water and snacks in my 2 liter pouches and on the front zipper pouches I have my LRF on top, and all my pens/paper/match info etc and on the very top I have my ear pro and other stuff. I got everything I need for a match in there.

Reactions: JKC and Rodney65
I've been using Hazard 4 bags for years. I use one for commuting to my office job, a smaller one for day trips around with the kids, ammo bag for range, 2 day pack for overnight trips, etc. Top quality material and straps/buckles in my opinion.

Can almost always find deals for then on Amazon compared with the pricing on their actual site.

Reactions: Rodney65
Yeah packs are kind of personal preference. I like an open center as it allows me to put my bags, ammo/mags, plate, tool kit on internal pouch out of the way etc inside and on the outside I have water and snacks in my 2 liter pouches and on the front zipper pouches I have my LRF on top, and all my pens/paper/match info etc and on the very top I have my ear pro and other stuff. I got everything I need for a match in there.
Nice. I find if a bag doesn't have a carrying solution for any one item I need, like a pocket/trapper-keeper for pens or solid attachment point for a Gamechanger, I quickly overlook all it's other features and grow to hate it.

The upranger definitely seems popular choice, I was considering it but it seems very large. I’m also considering the fehu tillpasse

The upranger definitely seems popular choice, I was considering it but it seems very large. I’m also considering the fehu tillpasse

What's your typical load out for a match?

May help to describe what you typically carry, what you want out of a backpack, and features of your current pack that you dislike.

Otherwise everyone is going to just shotgun you with what they personally use, which may or may not be optimal for your specific user case.

Im digging my eberlestock lo drag.. justbthe right amount of room and distributes weight nicely if I don’t try to pack the kitchen sink lol

I was running the eberlestock fac track for a while. I went smaller and now use the eberlestock hi speed 2

What's your typical load out for a match?

May help to describe what you typically carry, what you want out of a backpack, and features of your current pack that you dislike.

Otherwise everyone is going to just shotgun you with what they personally use, which may or may not be optimal for your specific user case.
To be honest I would prefer a smaller bag which is why some of the eberlestocks didn’t appeal to me. I love gear, but at some point dragging it around is such a pain in the ass.

That’s the main reason I was looking at the Fehu tillpasse. Purpose built, a little smaller. 90% of the matches locally to me are 1 day, and I only have 6-7 2 days on the schedule for this season.

Reactions: kthomas
I run the Fehu Outdoors Tilpasse. Designed by a PRS shooter for matches. Good guy with great products. Opens completely with individual cell on the inside. It will also support a tripod on the outside.

I run the Fehu Outdoors Tilpasse. Designed by a PRS shooter for matches. Good guy with great products. Opens completely with individual cell on the inside. It will also support a tripod on the outside.

That’s the one I’m thinking about trying

Reactions: High Desert duck
To be honest I would prefer a smaller bag which is why some of the eberlestocks didn’t appeal to me. I love gear, but at some point dragging it around is such a pain in the ass.

It's not as big as it seems when you take the wings off.

It was mentioned above that you can get higher quality American packs which is true but I've had plenty of Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs and not one of them is as well laid out for PRS as the UpRanger, even that cheap GPS pack is better set up for PRS than the MR 3DAP and Kifaru XRAY, 22Mag and Shape Charge. It keeps all your stuff dry, out of the mud and dust off your stuff. Keeps all your gear well organized and accessible. When you open it up you can immediately see what you need.

I don't keep much in mine, Gamechanger, ammo box, binos and my data stuff. I leave a spot open for cold gear or rain gear.

Last edited:
Up Ranger with 1 side wing and no waist belt. I have been using it for 3 years and it's great.

Can you post a picture of the pack opened with your gear in it and a list of what you carry?

I really like the idea of this pack, but based on the pocket sizes and layout having a hard time envisioning how this would work.

Get the upranger, snatch the side pack things off it and never look back. Solid pack, comfortable with all the shit in it as well. Plenty of room for all the shit you may need as well.
Gonna add the obi to mine, added a quick connect buckle to the pack and to the tripod so i will be pretty much hands free when taking the walk across the range to the other stages

Reactions: Mormegil87

This is what I have and really like it. Planning to add a frame to it soon.

This is what I have and really like it. Planning to add a frame to it soon.
Same thing I said to High Desert duck…

Can you post a picture of the pack opened with your gear in it and a list of what you carry?

I really like the idea of this pack, but based on the pocket sizes and layout having a hard time envisioning how this would work.

Reactions: ID_Matt
Same thing I said to High Desert duck…

I will post a couple pics tonight when I get home.

They did a good job of at least not having mesh back on that back panel...(y)

Packs for PRS imho all need a dedicated side of the pack that will go face-down into the mudd...I've never really shot a PRS match which didn't have either a muddy-when-wet staging/prep area or a muddy-when-wet stage-adjacent places at some point...during the match...

Last edited:
Ok, as promised. Here's some pics of the bag.

In the internal pockets:
Snacks
Fix it sticks kit
Leather man
Grease
Optics pen
Rags
Arm boards
Spare batteries
Chamber flags
Other misc. necessities

Top/side pockets:
Kestrel
Pens
Mag holders

In the open area:
120 rounds of ammo in a binder
Garmin xero in the case
Tripod plate
Arca bag
GameChanger
Painters tape for dope card
Cole tac match book
Not shown: rain jacket fit fine last weekend

On the outside i bought the brass pouch from fehu. Works great. Also added a pocket to store loaded mags and random items throughout the day.

On the sides - it didn't have clips to secure a tripod so i added some, as well as hooks to clip my pump pillow and any other light bags i carry that day.

The bag has a slot for a frame. Owner said it will fit the attack pak frame, which i plan to add with a load bearing belt in the future. But for now it works well enough.

Attachments

• A2D119BA-9421-4B59-9A6A-895A88AFA772.jpeg
    A2D119BA-9421-4B59-9A6A-895A88AFA772.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20BD0331-980B-4F4D-9F7E-67F1DB8972DD.jpeg
    20BD0331-980B-4F4D-9F7E-67F1DB8972DD.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 2687FFA7-35CB-41E3-8F5B-47968B0FB388.jpeg
    2687FFA7-35CB-41E3-8F5B-47968B0FB388.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 130
  • B1A31E92-E8E0-40B8-BE6E-3E53E669E467.jpeg
    B1A31E92-E8E0-40B8-BE6E-3E53E669E467.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 1FB65E35-F518-4EF8-B172-1F3FA0898E18.jpeg
    1FB65E35-F518-4EF8-B172-1F3FA0898E18.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Had a upranger for about a year. Cool concept, but imo it gets cluttered easy and isnt comfortable at all to wear. Especially for a centerfire match with 120 rounds and a heavy fill bag. I switched to a Mystery Ranch Pintler and love it. You can carry more weight and still be comfortable.... Just something to think about if you shoot a range with any kind of hike between stages. Mud isnt a issue if you hang your bag from your tripod...

The Pinter is a really well designed pack too. I used one for archery hunting out west. Still think Kifaru is a better product for the money and its US made. 357 Mag is about perfect IMO.

Hill People Gear. I have a Junction but it's a little small and could use a little more compartmentalization. A Connor or Aston might be the ticket.

The most comfortable packs I've used, and the Ute for load bearing is hands down the best thing I've put on my back ever. The harness they have is amazing and the belt system + the harness on the bigger packs isolates the weight and is a back/shoulders saver. Beautiful system, great people, and USA made.

Upranger is a bit smaller than most expect. Tried it for PRS, but now it's used to store all of our glass when traveling.

Ok, as promised. Here's some pics of the bag.

In the internal pockets:
Snacks
Fix it sticks kit
Leather man
Grease
Optics pen
Rags
Arm boards
Spare batteries
Chamber flags
Other misc. necessities

Top/side pockets:
Kestrel
Pens
Mag holders

In the open area:
120 rounds of ammo in a binder
Garmin xero in the case
Tripod plate
Arca bag
GameChanger
Painters tape for dope card
Cole tac match book
Not shown: rain jacket fit fine last weekend

On the outside i bought the brass pouch from fehu. Works great. Also added a pocket to store loaded mags and random items throughout the day.

On the sides - it didn't have clips to secure a tripod so i added some, as well as hooks to clip my pump pillow and any other light bags i carry that day.

The bag has a slot for a frame. Owner said it will fit the attack pak frame, which i plan to add with a load bearing belt in the future. But for now it works well enough.
Thank you, I ordered this bag the other day. Still might get an upranger as well but we will see

Designed a pack for carrying a tripod, optics and a reasonable load of equipment for a match, hunting, professional use etc.
The ISR pack is 35L approx and absolutely built for our style of shooting.

Attachments

• ISRopen.jpg
    ISRopen.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 98
  • ISRback.jpg
    ISRback.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 96
  • ISR.jpg
    ISR.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 98
Tried several, keep going back to my old MR Crew-cabs. Caries weight great & just toss it in when done with the stage. Bring some plastic to cover when weather is bad.