• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What a Potent Weapon! Should I buy it to Vanquish my Enemies?

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I did not know this was an option.

Screenshot_20231007-165345_Brave.jpg

I saw this on Gunbroker!!!
    This weapon is truly potent! Or impotent? I don't know. It must be one of these Weapons of War.

Should I buy it to use on my enemies?

Does it affect the user or just the one the weapon is pointed at? Does merely buying it cause harm?

I am concerned, but the possibilities excite me. @sirhrmechanic and @buffalowinter for advice on old and unusual weapons.

I can think of some people I would like to "Truly Emasculate" 🤪

Last edited:
    Within 10 yards, a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck is perhaps the MOST devastating and effective assault-stopper out of all firearm categories. Even when just pointed at the most intoxicated and belligerent of run of the mill street assholes, it will definitely 'emasculate' them and turn them instantly into a wide-eyed, begging and pleading little bitch... There is a reason why the mainstay of every saloon, hotel, sheriff's lobby, and working man's saddle carrier and cabins in the Old West had been a single or double barrel shotgun. Contrary to Hollywood portrayal, pistols and rifles, especially newly introduced and quite costly lever action rifles, were secondary pieces of equipment. The simple and humble shotgun had brought more peace to perilous situations than any other form of armament because they were versatile, affordable, and the components to keep them running are plentiful.

That said, with the current price involved in the OP's screenshot, if you REALLY want a traditional double barrel 12 gauge, I'd go for a brand new Pedersoli or Chiappa reproduction that runs in the range of $1200 to $1500. These are made from thoroughly modern lined steels that are computer controlled and tested for any potential weaknesses and can digest the toughest magnum loads you put through them. I'd be a bit hesitant to shoot an actual pre-1899 without a thorough inspection first and even then, definitely with NO stout loads...

Last edited:
    I do think it's funny how shotguns have almost been thrown by the wayside...hell, Ive even seen some retards claim they "are not suitable" for home defense.....and I can only think it's because of Instagram gun culture.

Sure an 870 doesn't look as sexy as a 10.5 AR dripping with all the tactical toys...

....but I would much rather be shot with a 5.56 than a 1 oz slug or 000 buck.....
    Not to mention hit probability. One round from a carbine only needs to miss by the thickness of a hair to leave NO wound. The multiple projectiles out of just a single 12 gauge (other than a slug) almost guarantees a hit and likely more than one...increasing the rate of loss of blood pressure. I keep an open choked, shorter barreled, pistol gripped 870 with an extended magazine full of some crappy ol' reloads with #5 shot coming out at 1350 fps as the one I grab in the dark.

I do think it's funny how shotguns have almost been thrown by the wayside...hell, Ive even seen some retards claim they "are not suitable" for home defense.....and I can only think it's because of Instagram gun culture.

Sure an 870 doesn't look as sexy as a 10.5 AR dripping with all the tactical toys...

....but I would much rather be shot with a 5.56 than a 1 oz slug or 000 buck.....
    I'll take "Neither" for $200, Alex.

Reactions: lash and eca7891
    Within 10 yards, a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck is perhaps the MOST devastating and effective assault-stopper out of all firearm categories. Even when just pointed at the most intoxicated and belligerent of run of the mill street assholes, it will definitely 'emasculate' them and turn them instantly into a wide-eyed, begging and pleading little bitch... There is a reason why the mainstay of every saloon, hotel, sheriff's lobby, and working man's saddle carrier and cabins in the Old West had been a single or double barrel shotgun. Contrary to Hollywood portrayal, pistols and rifles, especially newly introduced and quite costly lever action rifles, were secondary pieces of equipment. The simple and humble shotgun had brought more peace to perilous situations than any other form of armament because they were versatile, affordable, and the components to keep them running are plentiful.

That said, with the current price involved in the OP's screenshot, if you REALLY want a traditional double barrel 12 gauge, I'd go for a brand new Pedersoli or Chiappa reproduction that runs in the range of $1200 to $1500. These are made from thoroughly modern lined steels that are computer controlled and tested for any potential weaknesses and can digest the toughest magnum loads you put through them. I'd be a bit hesitant to shoot an actual pre-1899 without a thorough inspection first and even then, definitely with NO stout loads...

Carrying a double action Model 1858 Starr was the main source of his troubles here. 😂

That particular Starr revolver had been written about as a hanging-worthy offense by a US Department of Ordnance official when he was presented with one during the onset of the Civil War along with a letter from the company recommending it for use by Union forces. The article was called "Treason With a Hair-Trigger", penned in the August of 1861. They were absolutely unreliable and the dual trigger mechanism was far more unnecessarily complicated than the contemporary European double action revolvers of the time, the Adams-Beaumont and Kerr, both from the UK. That same dual trigger mechanism caused the cylinder chambers to fire out of battery very easily because the cocking trigger would have to be pressed all the way back to engage the firing trigger at the rear, placing extreme stress on the cylinder indexing ratchet and over-indexing the cylinder, causing excessive shaving of the projectile on one side and literally tumbling through the bore instead of engaging the rifling like it is supposed to. Starr's next submission to the US Dept. Of Ordnance, the much more refined and simplified Model 1863 Single Action, was just as accurate and reliable as the Colts and Remingtons of the time and the US Army purchased about 12,000 of them by the war's end.

Is this a serious question? Yes, you should buy it. And buy some more ammo as well

Reactions: Alan Warner
    It can't be that dangerous. Look, it's not even a regulated firearm anymore, as it's made before 1899. Mailman can bring it straight to your door. Heck, felons can own it, no 4473 needed.

Reactions: lash
    Carrying a double action Model 1858 Starr was the main source of his troubles here. 😂

That particular Starr revolver had been written about as a hanging-worthy offense by a US Department of Ordnance official when he was presented with one during the onset of the Civil War along with a letter from the company recommending it for use by Union forces. The article was called "Treason With a Hair-Trigger", penned in the August of 1861. They were absolutely unreliable and the dual trigger mechanism was far more unnecessarily complicated than the contemporary European double action revolvers of the time, the Adams-Beaumont and Kerr, both from the UK. That same dual trigger mechanism caused the cylinder chambers to fire out of battery very easily because the cocking trigger would have to be pressed all the way back to engage the firing trigger at the rear, placing extreme stress on the cylinder indexing ratchet and over-indexing the cylinder, causing excessive shaving of the projectile on one side and literally tumbling through the bore instead of engaging the rifling like it is supposed to. Starr's next submission to the US Dept. Of Ordnance, the much more refined and simplified Model 1863 Single Action, was just as accurate and reliable as the Colts and Remingtons of the time and the US Army purchased about 12,000 of them by the war's end.
    These are the posts I love about the Bear Pit..and the Hide in general.

A LOT of people are mistaken that all you have to do is point a Shotgun "in their direction", and you will put a plethora of pellets into the bad guy. I'm all for SG home defense, but you better pattern that sob, and do it at several distances that line up with your home measurements. Go shoot some 3g matches and you will understand real quick what I'm talking about.

Not suitable because a shotgun is far more destructive to your home then you believe it to be. 12ga 00 will go through multiple interior walls and then continue through your exterior wall. If you have a home layout where it's possible you would be shooting through or past an intruder and potentially into your kids room or into the next apartment or even your neighbor's house, than no, it is not the best idea.

There's been plenty of demonstrations showing that a 5.56 round will tumble and lose energy through drywall and interior wall much faster than 00 buck. Where I live I actually favor using an HP loaded handgun to avoid collateral damage in case someone breaks in.

The other dumb thing people repeat is shotgun spread, which with 00 12ga won't be wide enough inside a home to make much difference from a well-aimed handgun or rifle shot.

The amount of retarded statements people make about shotguns are exactly why they are no longer the best home defense weapons. And that's before we get into ergonomics, recoil control, and how long most shotguns are. The shotgun is a fantastic and versatile weapon. But claiming it's better than an AR15 for home defense is idiotic.

My shottie with a slug to 25 yards will make holes that will not stop bleeding. Fairly slow, so, it is not going to over-penetrate.

However, my 9 is closer.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Protip: if you are relying on a few sheets of drywall to prevent you from shooting someone, you're doing it wrong

Any round that is capable of stopping a threat is going through multiple layers of dry wall, that shit is like cardboard

See above statement, relying on hollow points to expand so they don't over penetrate is also just as stupid.....if you won't make the shot with ball ammo, don't make the shot with a hollow point.

I never made such claim and I agree, inside a home the spread is pretty much useless

So the gun is not suitable because people said stupid shit? Lol

That's literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard

You are aware pretty much any stock you have on an AR you can get on a shotgun, right?

And low recoil loads exist for little bitches who need it.

I actually don't know where anyone has made that claim, but ok
    You didn't actually address a single point I made. Amazing.

There's plenty of demonstrations showing how 556 and some handgun rounds will lose a lot more energy when passing through home materials than 12ga 00 will. What I meant by people saying stupid shit is that piss poor information and urban legend/wives tales end up being what people believe because it gets regurgitated by the ignorant. I worded that poorly. My bad.

And regardless of stock the barrel on a 12 is still going to be minimum 18.5 inches and less easy to maneuver around. Go ahead and go clear your house with an AR15, a handgun and an 18.5in 12ga. I've done it with all 3. In my place, the AR is much easier to negotiate my layout with. My neighbors are up my ass so there's no way I'd be running a shotgun unless it had Safety Slugs. Which I haven't seen for sale in a long time. And I've seen the claim made about low recoil ammo repeatedly about 12. I've never seen it in person once in my whole life in any gun shop I've ever been in. I don't think I can name a single person I know who shoots often that's ever even used it. Women included. Something like an AR15 is going to be lighter, have a lot more ammo, and be easier to handle and control.

And your last comment? You really never hear anyone say a shotgun is the best end all be all home defense weapon? Sure.

I actually did, I'm not responsible if you're too autistic to understand

Ok...but both are going through several layers of drywall with enough energy to kill someone on the other side.

As I said before, if you are relying on drywall as a back stop, you're doing it wrong.

I'm sure it is if you've never bothered to learn room clearing...

But I'm sure that 2 whole inches is really saving you a lot of hassle.

Also you do realize SBS's exist right?.....hell, with the shockwaves it's even easier....for the cost of a decent AR you can have an SBS shockwave

That's your choice

But see my previous comments about hollow points.

I can't speak for every moron on the Internet....but I never made that claim, and no one in this discussion has either.
    Ad hominem. Typical.

I never said I was depending on it. Ever. It's just physics. It's going to be less likely to kill someone especially outside your home. Again, there's been plenty of demonstrations over the years showing this. Do I have to spoon feed you? If you live in a small house or town house or apartment where you will probably have to take a shot that is going to have unknown persons be beyond whoever your target is you should probably consider what you're using to limit potential collateral damage. I shouldn't even have to explain that. It should be self evident.

Shockwaves are not even remotely as easy to use as an AR or a similar carbine. In the same vein, AR pistols exist. What are you even trying to argue? My point is that shotguns are inferior to a modern carbine in pretty much every capacity for home defense. Sure a 12ga is more powerful but realistically how much more power than a 556 do you need within 10 yards?

Actually it isn't my choice. It's the option I have to live with at the moment. And I'm not referring to just me. Not everyone lives in a McMansion in rural nowhere with perfect firing lines and no neighbors. Pointless statement.

I never said anyone in this thread did for fuck's sake. My post was to draw light to some considerations that anyone who wants to use a 12ga for home defense should keep in mind. But you know what? It doesn't matter because we can just devlove the arguement down to personal attacks like you already used instead of actually having a constructive discussion.

Now that the thread has been thoroughly derailed I'll take my leave of this argument since clearly any further debate won't go anywhere.

That's it, run on back to 4chan with the rest of your incel buddies

Frankly this is all my fault, I should have known better.....i don't know what I expected from someone who's avatar is an anime
    I'm married but ok guy. Learn how to debate your points instead of attacking the person's character. All you've done is proven how much of an asshole you are.

Oh and by the way, Charmander is a character from Pokemon. Which was a game before it was a show. And the picture is from one of the games I played when I was a kid. You can't even insult me properly lmao.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Ronws
    So, the shotgun vs AR for home defense devolves in to two grown men saying, "You're a retard", "No, you're a retard". Who could ever have predicted that?

Good word.. emasculated. Because thats what the NFA and the gAyTF have done to American citizens' 2A rights.

Meanwhile CJNG's members' 2A rights couldnt be any stronger! While Mexican citizens suffer the consequences and are all but completely barred from protecting themselves...

"CJNG has a dozen miniguns..." 🤦‍♂️

Every weapon seized in Mexico from cartels at this point should immediately be given to men and families with clean criminal records and thereafter civilian self defense groups/militias stood up across the country. But Mex .gov would never allow that because the people would actually stand a chance at overthrowing their corrupt system once and for all.

The .gov completely laid waste to Dr Mireles and his autodefensa group out of fear of his movement's popularity, and he hadn't yet even started to threaten .gov

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    What about knives and spears? Are those okay? How about semi-automatic rocks like Cain had?