• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What accuracy with M1A

Re: What accuracy with M1A

The Springfield Armory M1A I used to have would shoot 3/4 moa with 175 Bergers.

A standard rack grade non-bedded M1A in a GI stock is a 2-4 MOA rifle at best, contrary to internet boasting.

If you want sub-MOA accuracy, you are going to either bed it or get a chassis system.

Based on my observations, M14 systems seem to shoot 168s well.

I have a springfield m1a standard, walnut stock, 22 inch chrome barrel. With 175 smks, I get around 1 moa, usually a bit under. A group under .75 or so I'd call luck in my rifle. At worst, I see about 2 moa with other ammo.

I too own a Socom. It really seems to like the lighter bullets. Rifle Shooter Magazine apparently had the same experience:

"It fired 100, 155 and 168 grainers with equal aplomb. The 1:11-inch twist favors the lighter bullets and loves the Hornady TAP with the 110-grain V-Max. Even out of the 16.25-inch, six-groove barrel, it zips along at almost 3,000 fps. Springfield actually recommends Hornady's TAP with the 110-grain V-Max as fodder-of-choice."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A standard rack grade non-bedded M1A in a GI stock is a 2-4 MOA rifle at best, contrary to internet boasting.</div></div>

That's what I have and that's what I get using reloads in surplus brass with pulled 150gr bullets and 41.5gr of IMR-4895. That crappy South African surplus shoots 4 to 6 MOA in the same rifle, so I just burn it in my semi-1919. I haven't tried any 168's yet, but plan to..

I bought my dad a NM M1A last Christmas. I load 41.5gr or IMR-4895 with a 168 SMK to 2.800 OAL. He has shot 1" groups with it on several occasions. I have no idea how he does it I have trouble seeing the damn target that far without optics. He just grew up shooting irons on the farm and that is the gun he carried in Viet Nam.

The NM versions are bedded and that is the only load we have tried in the gun. Figured there was no point in going past that.

I just picked up some TAP 110gr, TAP 168gr, and some of the new OTW's specific to the M1A. I will post results this weekend. According to the factory rep I spoke to said that the 110gr should shoot 1 1/2 moa at 100 yards. We'll see, but that is a barrell burner of a round at 3000 fps, especially coming out of a 16.25 barrell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up some TAP 110gr, TAP 168gr, and some of the new OTW's specific to the M1A. I will post results this weekend. According to the factory rep I spoke to said that the 110gr should shoot 1 1/2 moa at 100 yards. We'll see, but that is a barrell burner of a round at 3000 fps, especially coming out of a 16.25 barrell.</div></div>

Good luck. I've only seen 1.45 MOA at 100 yards searching the internet. Seems to be the norm. With some time and an ACOG TA33 I've gotten just over 1" groups. Really neat round. Super hot without much recoil. Could be a good varmint or hog sized game round.

I load the 155 amax in surplus RA brass using 44 grains TAC and a CCI large rifle mag primer. It shoots 1.5 MOA through an M1-A loaded with stainless barrel if I do my part.

Here's a target I shot at Ft.Mead,Maryland years ago out of my M1A match rifle. The notes state it was a SMK 168 grain bullet over a charge of IMR-4895, calm day,sun at 4 o'clock to the firing line, fired from the prone,sling,shooting jacket,NM Match open sights.
The target was at 600 yards. I din't even come close to winning as the High Masters blew me out of the water. I did OK in my class.
If I can do this, you young bucks darn sure can.
with the proper loading, the M1A can be a fine shooting rifle.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Rapidrob/Targets/6.jpg

Have shot several nice groups with different loads of different
companies [black hills and HSM ] 168 seems to be the bullet of choice.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rapidrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a target I shot at Ft.Mead,Maryland years ago out of my M1A match rifle. The notes state it was a SMK 168 grain bullet over a charge of IMR-4895, calm day,sun at 4 o'clock to the firing line, fired from the prone,sling,shooting jacket,NM Match open sights.
The target was at 600 yards. I din't even come close to winning as the High Masters blew me out of the water. I did OK in my class.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Rapidrob/Targets/6.jpg </div></div>

I had a few shots of local wine tonight (well midnight in China) so I can't see well. The target looks like a 20X clean, if it is, how did the HM blow you out of the water? How did you guys break the tie, obviously you and the HMs shot 20x cleans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A standard rack grade non-bedded M1A in a GI stock is a 2-4 MOA rifle at best, contrary to internet boasting.
</div></div>

Yep. 2-3 MOA rifle at best, perhaps 1.5-2 even when accurized.

That's why I sold mine. Get an AR-10 or DPMS LR-308 if you want an accurate gas gun.

I have never seen socoms at my local range shoot better than 3-4'' with any load, factory of handload! I have to see it to believe it! maybe in a jae stock. You guys are better shots than I. Also have to agree AR in 308 is far more accurate but you gotta love the M1A'S

I have a Socom 16 in a Troy MCS. Regularly holds 1.5 MOA out to 500 yards w/ 168g SMK's. I have grouped even tighter but do not want to overstate the rifle's capabilities. Before the Troy MCS it was a 4 MOA rifle.

Of all you guys that replied to this thread, what is your cheek touching when your on target with the iron sights?
IIRC 4 moa with a M14 during Trainfire was a no go for a BSZ. No BSZ was a re-cycle, an that was just basic training not AIT, or better.
Most guys were in the 2.5-3 moa range. Some guys were in the 1.75 to 2.5 moa range with iron sighted rack guns, an M59 ball ammo an some, were way less than that.

The Range folks kept the BSZ info an targets. After record fire was completed, all BSZ data an targets were posted with record scores, an names beside same. It was not hard to see a pattern at all. BTW record fire was pop ups from 25 to 500yds in all 5 positions.

Many thought/said they had junk weapons from the start. To stop that BS, after all record fire data was recorded, the top 5 guys used the 5 worst scoring weapons and ran them on paper with their BSZ.
Best weapon vs worst weapon, shot by one of the top 5 shooters, the story was the same 5 times an very short, it was not the weapon at all.

Well I had an oppurtunity to shoot this afternoon with a couple different boxes of ammo, 110gr Hornady TAP, 168 gr Hornady TAP, and the new American Eagle 150gr specified for M1A's. I will say after a round robin of 4 targets at 100 yards with iron sights, I couldn't get it any better than 2". Thats not saying its the gun, as I am sure if folks are getting 1" to 1 1/2" groups it is most likely me. The indian not the arrow as my dad would say. I will say that the 110gr TAP and 168gr TAP seemed to shoot very similar in groups with the 110gr being a bit tighter, while the American Eagle was very inconsistant. Anyway, I will probably pick up some 110gr pills and work up some loads with similar velocities.

Is your cheek pushing into your thumb when your on target? Right or left handed makes no diff with this.

Battlesight zero is done at 25 yards. That's a totally different animal than real world shooting. obviously no rifle shoots a 16" group at 25 yards.

The M14, no matter what is done to it, is not a very accurate rifle. I'd love to own one as part of my collection because I personally think they're cool, but not because they're accurate rifles.

A 2 moa rifle will shoot a 1/2" group at 25yds. Anything outside of a 1" circle at 25yds is 4 + moa and was a Bolo/recycle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M14, no matter what is done to it, is not a very accurate rifle. </div></div> Sorry, but that won't hold water at all.

I am pushed up on my thumb. The American Eagle stuff was like a shotgun pattern, but the TAP and Winchester Super X stayed right at 2" consistantly.

I will mention that I am shooting at a 50yd slow fire target at 100yards to give you a reference.

Depending your eyes, you may want a different target at 100yds. You have a disadvantage with the shorter site radius/barrel as well, compared to a std 14 clone.
Have you tried any other ammo? The SOCOM most likely will prefer something different than a std 22" barrel. The 175 SMK's should do well.

That what I thought, I am going to load some 175SMK's this week over turkey. Roughly speaking, I really haven't seen a difference in accurracy due to velocity. The 110's were near 3100 fps, the 168's were about 2700 fps, and the 150's were at 2650 fps. The AE was cheap ammo, so I am sure there was alot of variance in powder charge, at least that is what the groups looked like.

As the target goes, your right, but unfortunately I was out of 100yd slow fires, so I will need to print some off. The rest of targets I had I couldn't see without an optic. I will say this though, the 50yd slow fire's were proportionate with the front site relatively speaking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgewater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Socom 16 in a Troy MCS. Regularly holds 1.5 MOA out to 500 yards w/ 168g SMK's. I have grouped even tighter but do not want to overstate the rifle's capabilities. Before the Troy MCS it was a 4 MOA rifle. </div></div>

I found the same to be true. Troy MCS made a legitimate improvement in accuracy.

WitchDoctor. Good luck working up some loads. I wanted to try and find the specs on the 110grain TAP and try to copy it. Let me know what you come up with.

I have seen an M1A with Leupold MkIV 10X scope shoot one target 1/2" group with Federal Gold 308 ammo.

And it has the original TRW barrel.

But mostly when the owner shoots it, it is more like 1.5 ~ 2moa.

When I shoot it, it is more like 4 moa.

I can get 1/2" groups with my Ruger #1V .223, so the M14 must be a recoil management issue with me.

Mine does .75 inch 5-round groups every time I put FGMM 175s through it...which has been one box so far.

With the prior barrel, I had a reliable 1 MOA every time load with 168s and WW748. This one remains in load development, except for 46.0 Varget under a Sierra 155 old Palma. .6 to .8 MOA!!! But pressure signs and 100+ fps faster than I should be getting with a 22-inch barrel persuade me that to use this load would burn my barrel out early.

M80 Ball bullets are 2.5-3 MOA. My load development is at 1.5-2 MOA with occasional glimmers of hope at 1 inch and less.

With the FGMM 175's mine will shoot 1/2-3/4in groups at 100yds if I do my part. When I first got it, it was shooting about 2-3in groups at a 100, the problem was the crown it had a burr and a chip in it. After dropping it into the Sage, and recrowing it it's held under an inch every time. Now if I could get some primers I'll be good to go.

Hello!
Help me, please.
What typical accuracy M14 in stock model?
1.5-2 MOA?
Sorry for my english.

olympian, Thanks!
May can be still other opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rapidrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a target I shot at Ft.Mead,Maryland years ago out of my M1A match rifle. The notes state it was a SMK 168 grain bullet over a charge of IMR-4895, calm day,sun at 4 o'clock to the firing line, fired from the prone,sling,shooting jacket,NM Match open sights.

I had a few shots of local wine tonight (well midnight in China) so I can't see well. The target looks like a 20X clean, if it is, how did the HM blow you out of the water? How did you guys break the tie, obviously you and the HMs shot 20x cleans.

</div></div>

I have not been drinking and I agree, 20 shots clean with a service rifle at 600 yards don't get beat very often......BS meter is pegging.

I haven't checked the crown, but I think it would be shooting less consistantly if that were the issue. I will know more once i work some loads up this week.

Does the Troy MCS make that much difference to accuracy? I have steered away from it because I like the feel of the M1A in its stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rapidrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a target I shot at Ft.Mead,Maryland years ago out of my M1A match rifle. The notes state it was a SMK 168 grain bullet over a charge of IMR-4895, calm day,sun at 4 o'clock to the firing line, fired from the prone,sling,shooting jacket,NM Match open sights.

</div></div>

I have not been drinking and I agree, 20 shots clean with a service rifle at 600 yards don't get beat very often......BS meter is pegging. </div></div>

No Sighters either. My first post says it's 200 yards off a rest using a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you guys bendin op rods at 175 grains of payload? </div></div>

It's powder that bends op rods, not bullets. With the right powder (like 4064) and load, you can shoot 200 gr bullets with an M14.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BottleBaby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rapidrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a target I shot at Ft.Mead,Maryland years ago out of my M1A match rifle. The notes state it was a SMK 168 grain bullet over a charge of IMR-4895, calm day,sun at 4 o'clock to the firing line, fired from the prone,sling,shooting jacket,NM Match open sights.

</div></div>

I have not been drinking and I agree, 20 shots clean with a service rifle at 600 yards don't get beat very often......BS meter is pegging. </div></div>

No Sighters either. My first post says it's 200 yards off a rest using a scope. </div></div>
What you guys don't know about Service Rifle shows like Maggie's drawers on a snowy day.

First, position shooting matches are won in the standing position, NOT in the prone stages. A little bit less in the sustained-fire stages.

Second, the no-sighters rule is in the EIC matches. The poster claiming that target as his 600 performance indicated only that it was a match where the HMs cleaned his clock. No mention of EIC rules applying

But then again, since DCM/CMP quit issuing the ammo for EICs, the mystery of where each lot of ammo shoots has been replaced with the certainty of knowing the zeros of your own handloads. Back when you never knew if the M118 needed 10 or 11 clicks up from 300, the HMs just considered the standing stage to be their first 10 sighters.

Don't call BS unless you really know that you have a "leg" to stand on. I got a medal once, but no points. Will probably get back into that part of the game next season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't checked the crown, but I think it would be shooting less consistantly if that were the issue. I will know more once i work some loads up this week.

Does the Troy MCS make that much difference to accuracy? I have steered away from it because I like the feel of the M1A in its stock.</div></div>

I and others as well have noticed quite a bit of improvement in accuracy. Mine was all over the page shooting from a benchrest with bags in the original stock. Tightened up nicely with the troy system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BottleBaby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rapidrob said:
Here's a target I shot at Ft.Mead,Maryland years ago out of my M1A match rifle. The notes state it was a SMK 168 grain bullet over a charge of IMR-4895, calm day,sun at 4 o'clock to the firing line, fired from the prone,sling,shooting jacket,NM Match open sights.

No Sighters either. My first post says it's 200 yards off a rest using a scope. </div></div>
What you guys don't know about Service Rifle shows like Maggie's drawers on a snowy day.

First, position shooting matches are won in the standing position, NOT in the prone stages. A little bit less in the sustained-fire stages.

Second, the no-sighters rule is in the EIC matches. The poster claiming that target as his 600 performance indicated only that it was a match where the HMs cleaned his clock. No mention of EIC rules applying

Don't call BS unless you really know that you have a "leg" to stand on. I got a medal once, but no points. Will probably get back into that part of the game next season. </div></div>

I distinguished in 96 in 4 LEG matches in my first year of high power shooting, and could have distinguished over again had I still chasing points. I call 200 20x with service rifle at 600 BS until I see that match results I don't care with sighters or no sighters. Show me the money.... do you know how many years the 200-19x at 600 stood at the Nationals??? this was set and broken with a match rifle, not with a service rifle..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rapidrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a target I shot at Ft.Mead,Maryland years ago out of my M1A match rifle. The notes state it was a SMK 168 grain bullet over a charge of IMR-4895, calm day,sun at 4 o'clock to the firing line, fired from the prone,sling,shooting jacket,NM Match open sights.

</div></div>

But then again, since DCM/CMP quit issuing the ammo for EICs, the mystery of where each lot of ammo shoots has been replaced with the certainty of knowing the zeros of your own handloads. Back when you never knew if the M118 needed 10 or 11 clicks up from 300, the HMs just considered the standing stage to be their first 10 sighters.

Don't call BS unless you really know that you have a "leg" to stand on. I got a medal once, but no points. Will probably get back into that part of the game next season. </div></div>

Also Grump or should I say Maggie, in what EIC or Leg match do you shoot where the 600 yards slow fire target is not pulled, scored, and then covered with a paster on the next shot shot? See any pasters on the target? We never shot that way at any EIC matches at Ft. Meade or Camp Perry that I attended. I call BS.

Jerry

Jerry:

You have a point on the pasters. I see signs of only three, maybe four being on and removed.

But then again those cheap 3/4-inch precut sticky square pasters DCM was selling for a few years could be popped off pretty easy whenever it was cold, like below 60 F... Can't tell what they were using, since none appear outside that tight shot photo.

I'll let RapidRob answer for himself now.

As far as the OP about M1A accuracy, I saw a lot of not-quite-national level shooters plug in 8-x cleans at 300. That's close to MOA for 10 shots in 70 seconds starting from standing and with a reload.

And don't call me Maggie.