• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What aftermarket Option would you Prefer on your AI AW/AE/AT?

What aftermarket Option would you Prefer on your AI AW/AE/AT?

• Total voters

jake6547

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
MD
Title kinda of says it all just curious to see what different options you guys would want or change on your AI rifles?

Would you pick:

#1 223 rem bolt face small firing pin
#2 308 win bolt face small firing pin for small primers calibers
#2 Magnum bolt face standard firing pin for WSM & SAUM calibers

Last edited:
This is interesting I would have thought that the mag bolt face would be higher on the list the 223 bolt face.

A lower scope rail on the AT , as the present one is very high , and most will not be using any NV gear in front of day scope anyway .

I voted 223BF and mag BF, I'd like to see both. With proper powder choices (pressure curve) there is no problem with the existing firing pin size.

Attachments

• AT rails 006.jpg
    AT rails 006.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 17
So you wouldn't need a smaller firing pin for a 223? That would make things a lot easier.
I voted 223BF and mag BF, I'd like to see both. With proper powder choices (pressure curve) there is no problem with the existing firing pin size.

I don't know about the proper powder choice redneck. H4350 is the standard for both 6.5cm&260 in most bolt guns, but in an AI they govern speed to 2800 with primer piercing. I'm lucky, my ae will run 2810&2795 with 142 or 139 bullets. There are some guys that can only get their 260s to 2700ish before piercing begins. AI designed that fp /fp hole spec for 308, i believe they should re-evaluate that spec on 6.5 cal versions. It's funny that i can get 2850-2875 with factory tube and a brux tube on a lowly savage, but my bartlien/ai combo is running2800. Bright side is my brass will last a firing more and the AI just shoots so good easily.

I think a magnum bolt face would be great if there is enough meat on the AT and AXMC .308 to handle a magnum bolt face. Being able to shoot a SAUM or WSM out of these rifles would be sweet.

A rem 700 338 lapua has a .050 lip and were looking a .060 so I think were good to go.

I think a magnum bolt face would be great if there is enough meat on the AT and AXMC .308 to handle a magnum bolt face. Being able to shoot a SAUM or WSM out of these rifles would be sweet.

So you wouldn't need a smaller firing pin for a 223? That would make things a lot easier.

I see no point to the small firing pin. Standard firing pin will allow people to just swap the firing pin/shroud assembly around from bolt to bolt and save about $800 on parts that AI won't even sell right now. If you make bolt faces through you're going to have to make bolt bodies too. The bolt heads are bonded in the bodies and are not easy to separate.

I don't know about the proper powder choice redneck. H4350 is the standard for both 6.5cm&260 in most bolt guns, but in an AI they govern speed to 2800 with primer piercing. I'm lucky, my ae will run 2810&2795 with 142 or 139 bullets. There are some guys that can only get their 260s to 2700ish before piercing begins. AI designed that fp /fp hole spec for 308, i believe they should re-evaluate that spec on 6.5 cal versions. It's funny that i can get 2850-2875 with factory tube and a brux tube on a lowly savage, but my bartlien/ai combo is running2800. Bright side is my brass will last a firing more and the AI just shoots so good easily.

It's from the fast pressure curve of the powders, not the bullet diameter. Creedmoor is great because it's more efficient and you can use a little faster powder but in a large firing pin gun it can pierce. It can also pierce in a small firing pin bolt and has in the past. Go to a slower powder and they will not pierce. I have never pierced a primer in a AI and I've run 308, 6.5creed, and now 243. The reason is my powder choices.

I boiled my bolt/bolt body combo for a few minutes and it came right apart . So it will be just a bolt head that is needed to do these conversions.

I see no point to the small firing pin. Standard firing pin will allow people to just swap the firing pin/shroud assembly around from bolt to bolt and save about $800 on parts that AI won't even sell right now. If you make bolt faces through you're going to have to make bolt bodies too. The bolt heads are bonded in the bodies and are not easy to separate.

It's from the fast pressure curve of the powders, not the bullet diameter. Creedmoor is great because it's more efficient and you can use a little faster powder but in a large firing pin gun it can pierce. It can also pierce in a small firing pin bolt and has in the past. Go to a slower powder and they will not pierce. I have never pierced a primer in a AI and I've run 308, 6.5creed, and now 243. The reason is my powder choices.

I would give serious thought to changing a bolt head on one of our rifles. Firstly it will definitely void all warranties and secondly the material we make the bolt heads from is a very special high tensile strength steel. We are making bolt body assemblies weekly in our factory and this is one of the most significant safety items on the rifle. We take great care in making sure that we complete that assembly and only sell bolt head assemblies as spares, not bolt heads. That is only because of safety.
I would strongly recommend that you do not try to change bolt heads on our rifles.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Tom,
I would like to start off saying that I am a huge Accuracy International fan, I have been fortunate enough to own two of your rifles now and I can honestly say they are absolutely amazing in every aspect. I understand your advice 100% but if it is done correctly using the proper high grade material and having it heat treated there is no reason why it wouldn't work. On that note I was just curious of the concept of different bolt heads for different calibers in this amazing platform.

I would give serious thought to changing a bolt head on one of our rifles. Firstly it will definitely void all warranties and secondly the material we make the bolt heads from is a very special high tensile strength steel. We are making bolt body assemblies weekly in our factory and this is one of the most significant safety items on the rifle. We take great care in making sure that we complete that assembly and only sell bolt head assemblies as spares, not bolt heads. That is only because of safety.
I would strongly recommend that you do not try to change bolt heads on our rifles.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

We take great care in making sure that we complete that assembly and only sell bolt head assemblies as spares, not bolt heads.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Wait, wait, wait. So you all are selling spare parts now, or, is this for your distributers only? To be honest I wouldn't mind having another firing pin or bolt head assembly as a spare. :)

I'd like a WSM/SAUM but only if I could buy a separate bolt assembly as I don't want to mess with the bolt head on my existing bolts.

Wait, wait, wait. So you all are selling spare parts now, or, is this for your distributers only? To be honest I wouldn't mind having another firing pin or bolt head assembly as a spare. :)

I have purchased direct from ANIA on my older AWM. I purchased a complete .300 win mag bolt. It took several months to get. I think I was charged $800 and some change. It came with bolt ,bolt head,extractor and ejector. But you can not order just a magnum bolt head for the short actions. The metal on the bolt head is specially made for AI. I would not recommend changing just the head as Tom stated.