• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What ammo should I be buying?

Saluki2003

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
San Diego
I just got my AR built and now wondering what ammo I should be buying. I have a freefloated 16" Blackhole Weaponry 1:8 twist SS barrel w/ polygonal rifling.

I'll mostly be punching paper at 100 - 300yds and maybe trying to reach out to 500+ hitting steel plates in the desert. I would like to get into hunting as well but dont hunt right now. Also what ammo would you buy for self defense?

Money is an issue so I'm kinda looking for the best bang for the buck.

Thanks guys!

For that setup, you can spend as much or as little as you want really. If you're not concerned with shooting tiny groups on paper then M855 ball ammo would be fine out to 300. Hell, we shot it for qual out to 500 but there's better (more expensive) options for longer range. Black Hills 77gr is a nice option for the longer range stuff, but as I said, if you're not worried about ragged-hole groups, the mil surplus will happily suffice for most of what you want to do.

I've never hunted with my AR, so no first-hand info for that application, but I'm sure some of the other members will have good first-hand knowledge of what's working for them.

In So. Cal, you can probably hunt with the M855 ball mentioned above. Should you decide to go for larger or more resilient game (Hogs, Javalina, etc) then you need to get into the more exotic ammunitions offered, and financially, the skys the limit when you do. That being said, hand loading is how you're gonna punch the ragged hole in the paper (The targets you carry around and show your buddies). But starting reloading is NOT cheap, especially when you want to get that super accuracy. Good Luck!

W&E

I bought some Federal 55gr and 62gr mil surplus to start practicing with. What would be the next step up that you would recommend until I can get a reloading setup together?

I bought some Federal 55gr and 62gr mil surplus to start practicing with. What would be the next step up that you would recommend until I can get a reloading setup together?

The 62gr is the M855 I was referring to, and the 55gr will be M193. Those will get you going, at least out to 300. From there the prices increase pretty dramatically to Black Hills, Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM), or ASYM all in the 77gr range. I'd use the 55gr for closer ranges and practice and 62gr for your farther practices. Hell, get a good idea of what you're doing with the 62gr as far out as you can shoot so that you've laid some groundwork before you start launching rounds that cost $1 a piece (or more).

I'd get with Elfster on any 223 reloading questions, since that is a particular passion of his and he's done some good write ups already in the reloading section for some loads he's already worked up. In fact, if I had a question on getting the most accuracy out of a 5.56 gas gun in pretty much any regard, I'd start with Elfster.

I shot 55 grain at 680 yards at steel on Friday. It doesn't handle the wind that well, but it's plenty consistent once you dope it, at least for ringing steel.

Depends on what type of shooting you're doing, and what your budget is, but I'll echo what another poster already said, and say start looking into reloading as soon as you can afford to. It'll pay for itself pretty quick; especially if you start doing anything 'match grade'.

I've always had good luck with Remington UMC yellow box.

That being said, I tested Fed American Eagle brand 223 and it was all over the place, in 308 it was really consistant.

The point is, as soon as you can you need to learn how to setup and run a progressive press and start reloading. It's the only way your going to get what you want and you'll just skip over the other 3 presses that just weren't fast enough...

My AR really likes the Geco .223 (I think it's made in Switzerland) I've found it at cabelas and it's very reasonably priced for close range plinking ammo. When I want to reach out and touch something I go to black hills as I haven't started reloading yet.

In So. Cal, you can probably hunt with the M855 ball mentioned above. Should you decide to go for larger or more resilient game (Hogs, Javalina, etc) then you need to get into the more exotic ammunitions offered, and financially, the skys the limit when you do. That being said, hand loading is how you're gonna punch the ragged hole in the paper (The targets you carry around and show your buddies). But starting reloading is NOT cheap, especially when you want to get that super accuracy. Good Luck!

W&E

don't hunt with M855 has steel core is a NO NO
You can not use lead core ammo in some areas, check fish & game

The 62gr is the M855 I was referring to, and the 55gr will be M193. Those will get you going, at least out to 300. From there the prices increase pretty dramatically to Black Hills, Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM), or ASYM all in the 77gr range. I'd use the 55gr for closer ranges and practice and 62gr for your farther practices. Hell, get a good idea of what you're doing with the 62gr as far out as you can shoot so that you've laid some groundwork before you start launching rounds that cost $1 a piece (or more).

I'd get with Elfster on any 223 reloading questions, since that is a particular passion of his and he's done some good write ups already in the reloading section for some loads he's already worked up. In fact, if I had a question on getting the most accuracy out of a 5.56 gas gun in pretty much any regard, I'd start with Elfster.

NO steel core

No steel core for hunting, check Fish & Game for lead ban areas, don't want your gun taken away do ya + fine + no more hunting + maybe no more guns. NO NO

There are areas that lead ammo is banned even for target shooting, check before you go.

Last edited:
NO steel core

No steel core for hunting, check Fish & Game for lead ban areas, don't want your gun taken away do ya + fine + no more hunting + maybe no more guns. NO NO

I wasn't advocating hunting with it. Saluki indicated that he wanted to shoot targets and possibly do some hunting with it. I recommended the surplus ammo as an affordable target option and specifically said that I didn't have a recommendation for a hunting round but some of the other members likely would.

I can't keep up with the regulations in California, is there a prohibition against the surplus/steel core ammo for target use? If so then I apologize for advocating an unlawful product.

I wasn't advocating hunting with it. Saluki indicated that he wanted to shoot targets and possibly do some hunting with it. I recommended the surplus ammo as an affordable target option and specifically said that I didn't have a recommendation for a hunting round but some of the other members likely would.

I can't keep up with the regulations in California, is there a prohibition against the surplus/steel core ammo for target use? If so then I apologize for advocating an unlawful product.

Yes CA does have a few to many gun laws, but we do have a whole lot of Ranges to shoot at, but most of them don't like steel core ammo.
Hunting in CA is by far the best, in that you don't have to pay a land owner a outfitter to hunt wild animals that roam free.