• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What ammo would you suggest?

yupitsnuge

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2013
I just picked up a Remington 700 308 with a Bartlein 15" GAP #7 contour, 1-10 twist barrel and I am going to head to the range hopefully in the next few days to sight in the Vortex Razor scope I got for it. I am also going to be heading to a Long Range class out in TX (Im also bringing a bone stock remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" heavy BBL 308 as backup). I don't reload and I'm pretty new to long (LONG) range shooting so I was looking for some suggestions for decent production ammo for these guns. Ideally I would like to be able to find it regularly and at most gun shops around the US. thanks in advance!

If you can, buy a few boxes of each and see what works best in your guns. 168 & 175's are good bets, but 147 & 150's seem to work fairly well too.

Southwest Ammo has some affordable (especially if you are preparing for a class) options of quality ammo and would personally recommend a 175 Gr. SMK as it's pretty forgiving as it becomes subsonic and with a 15" barrel (and even a 20") for (LONG) range you'll be transonic for sure with a .308.

GMM 175gr will do a great job but depending in the rifle you would want to try a few different rounds and see how well they preform.

I have a question for the OP. How did you determine that the barrel is 15"? 15 in barrels require a special license. A permanently attached muzzle device to make it 16 inches or longer does away with the need for the licensing. I suspect you measured the visible part of the barrel and got your 15 inch. The Federal boys measure to the boltface. Stick a cleaning rod in until it stops, mark the rod where the barrel ends. Pull it out and measure.

Federal Gold Medal Match, Blackhills, Hornady Match, Southwest, and Copper Creek.

I would just go with the 175 and be done with it if you are doing LONG range (800+ yards).