• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What AR 10 mount?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    Normally I just use Burris pepr but putting together a JP LRI 20 and NF 4-16 ATACR. Thinking of going with a Geissele or Badger COMM

Anyone have experience with either or any reason to avoid them?

I don’t want to pair with a Chinese mount but don’t necessarily need a $500 spuhr either.

This will be a 16” 308. Planning on a 20 moa mount. Won’t necessarily need it for this builds use but never hurts to have it

I know you said you don't necessarily need a $500 Spuhr mount but I have a Spuhr on my REPR, 20moa I believe and run a T1 at a 45* off the right hand side. To be honest if it's because the price well I think they are a bit less than $500 and I bought mine over 10yrs ago. You won't remember the price you pay for a high end item like Spuhr after you purchased it.
    Back when I purchased my Spuhr mount there was hardly anyone producing awesome CNC mounts, now everyone does so you have many quality options. I have a lot of respect for Hakkan Spuhr so I continue to support him when I can, but he isn't the only quality name in town either.

Reactions: N-C
    I know you said you don't necessarily need a $500 Spuhr mount but I have a Spuhr on my REPR, 20moa I believe and run a T1 at a 45* off the right hand side. To be honest if it's because the price well I think they are a bit less than $500 and I bought mine over 10yrs ago. You won't remember the price you pay for a high end item like Spuhr after you purchased it.
    Back when I purchased my Spuhr mount there was hardly anyone producing awesome CNC mounts, now everyone does so you have many quality options. I have a lot of respect for Hakkan Spuhr so I continue to support him when I can, but he isn't the only quality name in town either.
    I have several spuhr as well paired with my other atacr’s. Was just thinking I want a little less bulk with this build. Figure badger or Geissele would be a good fit. Haven’t decided yet

I was a victim of the cross bar clamp cracking on one of my spuhr. So I know those aren’t bomb proof either

This gun will likely never see a accessory that attaches to a spuhr. Will be more of a semi auto shorter range deer slayer to start. Inside 500 yard 16” 308 paired with a 4-16 atacr and 36M can

Reactions: 30calDeath
    If weight isn't a concern, the American Rifle Company (ARC) is bomb proof and a good bit less expensive than say a Sphur. Well under $300.

Another vote for the JP flattop mount. Mine has been pretty solid so far.

I run an ARC M-brace on one of my 6.5cm JPs that didn't need much cantilever and a badger C1 on the other 6.5cm JP that needed more cantilever than the M-brace provides. Both my .223 JPs have badger C1 mounts too, not enough cantilever in the M-brace for the shorter .223 uppers.

Both work great. Badger C1 is a little lighter, but probably not as stout as the ARC. ARC also has the bomb proof lrf mount that doesn't apply any of the lrf weight or recoil forces to the scope tube if that's important to you.

I've also used NF unimounts in the past and was happy with them.

Funny you mention spuhr and cracking clamp bars... I've had 5 clamp bars fail between 11 mounts over 8+ years using them. No more spuhrs for me.

Last edited:
    I like ADM alot and I have them on most of my rifles but I have some Midwest industries too. MI makes quality gear, don't overlook them.

If weight isn’t a issue I’m fond of the preppr, if it is the Aero lightweight. I have 2 308’s with Aero lightweights on both and have never had a issue with stability, and it is light as hell which really helps with a heavy rifle, a 308 is my preferred hog gun so ounces count when humping it through woods.

Reactions: BCP
    On a 308 AR you can get away with a straight up mount without any offset built in. I'd also keep that in mind while shopping for mounts.

On a 308 AR you can get away with a straight up mount without any offset built in. I'd also keep that in mind while shopping for mounts.
    I’ve seen this mentioned before. I’m just curious as I don’t play in the AR world as much as the bolts.

But what is the difference between those. Why no offset with the 10 vs the 15? Larger action?

I’ve seen this mentioned before. I’m just curious as I don’t play in the AR world as much as the bolts.

But what is the difference between those. Why no offset with the 10 vs the 15? Larger action?
    Not who you asked, but large frame AR-10/308 upper receivers are around 1.5" longer than the AR-15. The AR-10/308 upper receiver has 17-18 Picatinny rail slots, the AR-15 has 13-14 slots. Even though many handguards have Picatinny rails, you generally don't want to bridge the gap between the upper and handguard with mounts or rings due to flex. There are some scopes and/or situations where you still might want a cantilever on a large frame, you just won't need as much of an offset as an AR-15.

Not who you asked, but large frame AR-10/308 upper receivers are around 1.5" longer than the AR-15. The AR-10/308 upper receiver has 17-18 Picatinny rail slots, the AR-15 has 13-14 slots. Even though many handguards have Picatinny rails, you generally don't want to bridge the gap between the upper and handguard with mounts or rings due to flex. There are some scopes and/or situations where you still might want a cantilever on a large frame, you just won't need as much of an offset as an AR-15.
    Thank you

I’m currently looking at the JP. Looks well built and will do a JP rifle justice. Not needing a cantilever would make finding one on the used market much simpler if I want to go that route

I’m bored with black AR’s so she got an OD green coat yesterday. Once I put it back together I’ll see what I truly need for a mount

Thank you to all who commented here

Reactions: msgriff