• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are my groups telling me.

ACC

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
KS
Was out in the cold today sighting in a recent purchase. A Tikka 595 with a Douglas barrel on it in 17 Rem. 5 degrees and wind was about 5-10mph. This is just a break in period and trying to see if the rifle likes a particular round. But one thing I notice some times with my 5 round groups is this. I will have 2-3 rounds in a nice little cluster sometimes touching and then I will have a couple other rounds in another cluster 1/2" or so away. Is there anything to conclude from this?

Well, if it was me shooting, I would first think it was me. You will just need to keep it in mind to see how things progress in the future.

Does it do it after so many shots or just whenever? I don't know much of that round to tell you ballisitcally what its should be able to do. BBL inlet or bedding maybe? BBL getting warm? Hope someone can help you

The only thing you know for sure from holes on target is that is where the barrel was pointed. Call/strike corollary analysis is more likely to reveal the source of error. When the source of shooter error can not be discerned then concentration on the principles of marksmanship and the elements and factors of a steady position can still correct for error.

Nevertheless, I'd say you did not compensate for wind and/or you did not consistently control the rifle; but, call/strike corollary analysis would help you understand this on your own. Example: you call the shot right in there but the shot strike is at 3 o'clock. This means sight was not adjusted properly for wind and weather conditions at time of shot. Another example: you call the shot at 3 o'clock and the strike is indeed at 3, this means you moved the rifle, it also means the sight was properly adjusted for distance and conditions. One more: you call the shot at 3 and the strike is right in there. This likely means movement and a sight not properly adjusted.

Last edited:
The best answer is there's really no way to tell. It could easily be you. It could easily be the rifle. It could easily be the load. But it could also easily be the 5-10 mph wind you mentioned. Unless you're shooting under minimal to no wind conditions and calling your shots, a .17 Rem has the potential to be deflected significantly by wind of that magnitude.