• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are NRL .22 folks using for scopes?

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
I've seen an NRL or NPL listing of what scopes are being most commonly used for centerfire; is there a polling of rimfire's most commonly used scopes for precision matches?

Reactions: km77
I just pulled the trigger on a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25. Ammo Bros has them on sale for $460. It’s apparently not the best glass, but good enough for rimfire ranges and provides a ton of elevation for longer range

Reactions: dano225
I am running a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50, good enough for rimfire work

Reactions: Forrest84
The farm boys around here got money to burn. I see ZCO's, gen 3 razors and nightforces all the time. Lots of vortex strike eagles. Some bushnells. You can never put too nice of glass on a gun.
I've got a strike eagle on my Anschutz 64. Buddy has a gen3 razor on his Annie. His girlfriend has a zco on her Annie.

Athlon Cronus BTR Gen2, 4.5-29x56 on my Vudoo.
Crazy the range of what people do and put together. I'm running a Helos BTR gen 2 6-24 on a CZ 455. Your scope is more than my whole setup.
But I bet it shoots nice. I'm envious. I'll have the same scope someday, on a 300 norma...

Nightforce ATAC-R 7-35x56 on my Vudoo because it parallaxes down to 11 yards and because it was my "Holy shit! I survived a half a century!" present to myself! I see alot of ZCOs and Razors in Texas.

I've been running an NF NX8 4-32 w/MilXT for the last few years and have no complaints.

I'd take a hard look at the new Zeiss'. The 4-25 is out and the 6-36 should be hitting stores soon. They advertise 46.5 MILs of elevation but the one 4-25 I held had over 50. It just keeps turning. You keep thinking it's gonna hit the top but keeps going. Glass was very good too. The reticle is excellent. Turrets have a good positive click and the spacing is ideal, imo.

I've been running an NF NX8 4-32 w/MilXT for the last few years and have no complaints.

I'd take a hard look at the new Zeiss'. The 4-25 is out and the 6-36 should be hitting stores soon. They advertise 46.5 MILs of elevation but the one 4-25 I held had over 50. It just keeps turning. You keep thinking it's gonna hit the top but keeps going. Glass was very good too. The reticle is excellent. Turrets have a good positive click and the spacing is ideal, imo.
Those Zeiss look nice. But the 2" high turrets, WTF here.

Reactions: MCSO1357
Those Zeiss look nice. But the 2" high turrets, WTF here.
Not as tall as the S5s and while tall, not an issue for me. Easier to see and I don't look over the top of my scope when using it. If you have a red dot out front, I could see it being an issue.

Reactions: jt526
So a few things that I looked for when shopping for a scope for NRL22 and PRS22 (little different requirements than centerfire):

1. Parallax down to 20 yds, 10 is gooder
2. At least 10MILS per rotation on the turrets bc dialing to 300 yds when you only have 6MILS per rotation sucks and you’re cranking and cranking (and cranking). That shit leads to carpel tunnel….
3. As much internal elevation adjustment as possible (24+ MILS at least) so when you zero @ 50 yds you can still dial enough up to get you to 400-450 yds before you have to resort to holding over.
4. Reticle that you can see a 1/4” KYL @ 25-35 yds
5. Xmas tree reticle for those stages where you can’t dial and also have to hold wind
6. if you’ve got old eyes like me, turret with big honking numbers or get one of those MK Machine magnifiers
7. About 50MOA of cant in your scope rail or rings (or combo of the two)

Last edited:
If you check out the nrl22 homepage ( site a little tough to navigate ) at one point they had a list of the scopes all the competitors at the national championships used. Not sure if it is still posted there

Reactions: lash
Most everyone at the meets I'm shooting (badly) are running big scopes. I'm running a venom 5-25x56 on mine and I'm not running the biggest scope.

...but most everyone is running them down around 12-15x for FOV

HTH

M

I’ve got the 4.5-27 but rarely go above 20 unless I’m shooting paper for groups and even then I might back down to 15

Reactions: nikonNUT
Most everyone at the meets I'm shooting (badly) are running big scopes. I'm running a venom 5-25x56 on mine and I'm not running the biggest scope.

...but most everyone is running them down around 12-15x for FOV

HTH

M

My understanding is NRL22 goes to 100yrds, not sure what you’d need much over 15x for, KYL .22” target is only shot at 50yrds as I recall

7389-D496-F6-E6-4728-9-F71-9-C16-AE1-AC427.jpg

My understanding is NRL22 goes to 100yrds, not sure what you’d need much over 15x for, KYL .22” target is only shot at 50yrds as I recall

7389-D496-F6-E6-4728-9-F71-9-C16-AE1-AC427.jpg
I'm admittedly new to NRL22, but the match I've signed up for in November in Iowa says targets out to 300 yds...will have to see, can't wait.

There's an official course of fire that comes down from NRL22. The match director can add other stages beyond the NRL22 limits.

Reactions: Saito and lash
My local NRL22 club will add a few stages in addition to the standard COFs. Usually there is a stage that goes out to 300+/- yds but the plates are typically 3-4MOA in size.

My local NRL22 club will add a few stages in addition to the standard COFs. Usually there is a stage that goes out to 300+/- yds but the plates are typically 3-4MOA in size.
3-4 moa is really small at 300yds and is hard to hit

AMHIK

M

Reactions: BurtG
3-4 moa is really small at 300yds and is hard to hit

AMHIK

M
Gotta know your dope. And loft a prayer to the shooting gods if its windy. Fortunately my club allows us to confirm zero in the AM before the match starts. You can bet your kestrel I’m a gonna take advantage of that @ the 300 yd stage to check wind holds.

So a few things that I looked for when shopping for a scope for NRL22 and PRS22 (little different requirements than centerfire):

1. Parallax down to 20 yds, 10 is gooder
2. At least 10MILS per rotation on the turrets bc dialing to 300 yds when you only have 6MILS per rotation sucks and you’re cranking and cranking (and cranking). That shit leads to carpel tunnel….

3. As much internal elevation adjustment as possible (24+ MILS at least) so when you zero @ 50 yds you can still dial enough up to get you to 400-450 yds before you have to resort to holding over.
4. Reticle that you can see a 1/4” KYL @ 25-35 yds
5. Xmas tree reticle for those stages where you can’t dial and also have to hold wind
6. if you’ve got old eyes like me, turret with big honking numbers or get one of those MK Machine magnifiers
7. About 50MOA of cant in your scope rail or rings (or combo of the two)
Imma say go for 10MIL per rotation period. One oF my tiny gripes about the ATAC-R is the 12.5MILs per revolution. One truth I have learned is that math and reading comprehension go to shit at a match! :LOL: I shot the regional finale (Horribly I might add!) this last weekend and saw everything from Arkens to TTs and got beat by them all!

Last edited:
Imma say go for 10MIL per rotation period. One on my tiny gripes about the ATAC-R is the 12.5MILs per revolution. One truth I have learned is that math and reading comprehesion go to shit at a match! :LOL:
Ooof, 12.5MILS/rotation, WTF were they thinking? 10MILS per rotation makes the math simpler. Even common core math can’t screw that up.

Burris XTR Pro has 12/rotation, and my 300 yd hold is 12MILS + change depending on DA. So one full rotation plus a little extra. Even my pea brain can handle that on the clock.

5-25 Strike Eagle on my B14r. Most of the time I hover between 12x and 15x. I like the higher magnification for sighting in, KYL racks, and seeing holes in paper at 100y and 200y for our monthly mini-palma matches.

Mike

Crazy the range of what people do and put together. I'm running a Helos BTR gen 2 6-24 on a CZ 455. Your scope is more than my whole setup.
But I bet it shoots nice. I'm envious. I'll have the same scope someday, on a 300 norma...

I've got a manners stock on a savage 22 with a Athlon Ares scope. :)

Reactions: King_beardsly
I'm admittedly new to NRL22, but the match I've signed up for in November in Iowa says targets out to 300 yds...will have to see, can't wait.
Are you by chance shooting at Sureshot in Mt. Auburn? If so, where is there any info on NRL there? I took the Snipershide rifle course there and would love to go back!

Imma say go for 10MIL per rotation period. One oF my tiny gripes about the ATAC-R is the 12.5MILs per revolution. One truth I have learned is that math and reading comprehension go to shit at a match! :LOL: I shot the regional finale (Horribly I might add!) this last weekend and saw everything from Arkens to TTs and got beat by them all!

You sure the ATACR is 12.5 and not 12. Mines only 12.

I use a Kahles K525i on my 22 comp rifle.
I would like to try a Meopta Optika 6, same for Burris XTR III.

I see lots of Athlon Midas Tac at the matches I go to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lesptr
nightforce ATACR 7-35 Mil-XT for my RimX and a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 for my B14R. It’s worth spending the extra money on a scope you like especially on a 22. You turn those turrets a lot and I travel along the mag range depending on what I am doing.

Reactions: lash and Matt_3479
Are you by chance shooting at Sureshot in Mt. Auburn? If so, where is there any info on NRL there? I took the Snipershide rifle course there and would love to go back!
The match I referenced is in Nevada, IA on 11/09. I’ve shot many NRL matches at Sureshot and occasionally go there for the opportunity to shoot at long distance steel but the hassle of shooting there deters me from going there more often. Would love for it to be a club type of operation.

The match I referenced is in Nevada, IA on 11/09. I’ve shot many NRL matches at Sureshot and occasionally go there for the opportunity to shoot at long distance steel but the hassle of shooting there deters me from going there more often. Would love for it to be a club type of operation.
Do they have a regular NRL schedule? I'll have to look at a map and figure out where Nevada, Iowa is.
Thanks for the info!(y)