• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what are you using for 3gun comp?

rickey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
La Porte, TX
Just curious what everyones using for 3 gun Competition. Just state what devision you shoot in then guns and calibers. Im looking to do one and was just curios what most of you already shot and how it works for you. im still deciding on rifle and if I want to change shotguns.

Re: what are you using for 3gun comp?

I use different guns depending on the match venue and if it's USPSA or outlaw. 9mm S&W M&P if it's outlaw and no power factor, Tangfolio Witness Limited .40 otherwise. 11" AR with reflex sight if short venue (100 yds or less), 20" AR with 4x ACOG otherwise. But I always use my Benelli Super 90 M1 18.5" with rifle sights (not the ghost ring). Love that Benelli!

I'm a member over at the Brian Enos forum, too. Lots of good 3-gun info there. http://www.brianenos.com/forums

S&W M&P 9 pro series
FN SLP with 24" vent rib barrel(didn't like the cantilever)
JP15 .223 with Burris XTR 1-4(would run a Swaro 1-6 if I could afford it)

I guess I'll throw out what I have right now
HnK p30L 9mm
Beretta 12ga 20in not really for three gun but Ill have to make due

Charlie papa any reason you chose the Benelli super 90 instead of the m2?
Everything post I've read people love it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie papa any reason you chose the Benelli super 90 instead of the m2?
Everything post I've read people love it</div></div>

I bought my M1 about 7 years ago. I don't think the M2 has been out that long. I haven't had the chance to shoot the M2, but it looks pretty sweet.

Ok didn't know if you preferred it for any reason. I'd like to get my hands on one for a trial as well. Enough talking what do you shoot? List them here for a comparison for new three gunners.

POF 18" P415 .223 w/US Optics SN4 1.5-6 C2 reticle
Benelli M2 21" w/Nordic extension GG&G bolt and bolt release
Cameron's Customs 2011 9mm
Above for tac scope

Planning to do Heavy Metal this year with
POF 14.5" P308 .308 w/US Optics SN4 1.5-6 C2 reticle
Benelli Nova tactical w/Nordic extension for when a pump is requires and the above M2 when I can run semi-auto
STI Trojan .45 ACP with 10 round mags

Gotta love POF and US Optics for pure 3 Gun Reliability

RIFLE: JP15 18 inch Upper with Bennie Cooley comp. If Tac Limited: Leupold Prismatic with DCD reticle and handloaded Hornday 53 grain VMAX. If Tac Scope: soon to be a Leupold Mk 6 1-6X but has been the Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T with CMR2 reticle. Ammo: Hornady 75 grain Steel Match.

Shotgun: Remington VersaMax 26 in barrel, Nordic Components 11 shot tube, and XS express rear sight. Fantastic gunsmithing by Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. I used to shoot a Benelli M1 which is a good gun but the Versamax is as relaible and sure kicks less.

Pistol: CZ75 CTS Long Slide in 9mm by the CZ Custom Shop. A pistol that I will stack up against any STI any day of the week.

Heavy Metal Limited

Rifle: M1 Garand, .30-06
Shotgun: Remington 870, 12ga
Pistol: Springfield Armory 1911, .45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavy Metal Limited

Rifle: M1 Garand, .30-06
Shotgun: Remington 870, 12ga
Pistol: Springfield Armory 1911, .45 </div></div>

Hell yes! Motavating!

I shoot Limited in 3gun comps here. I use a Springfield TGO in .45 ACP, a MSTN built AR15, and a Benelli M4 12 gauge. Both the TGO and Benelli are heavily modified with aftermarket parts.

I shoot Tactical Optics

Pistol - M&P9Pro with some fun changes (I shoot an M&P40Pro in USPSA Limited to keep it all similar.)

Rifle - Build all my own ARs, my 3-Gun setup is a 16" 5.56 Heavy Match Barrel with a Mid-Length gas system, 15" Troy VTAC hand guard, CMC Trigger and a Vltor EMOD stock and it's topped off with a Burris MTAC. For USPSA sanctioned matches it has an AAC Break and for Outlaw I run a Mini-4 Suppressor.

Shotgun - FN SLP Mk1

It all works great, the only shortcoming is my skill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&W M&P 9 pro series
FN SLP with 24" vent rib barrel(didn't like the cantilever)
</div></div>

I cut the cantilever off... What a lame idea that thing is...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kelly Neal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RIFLE: JP15 18 inch Upper with Bennie Cooley comp. If Tac Limited: Leupold Prismatic with DCD reticle and handloaded Hornday 53 grain VMAX. If Tac Scope: soon to be a Leupold Mk 6 1-6X but has been the Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T with CMR2 reticle. Ammo: Hornady 75 grain Steel Match.

Shotgun: Remington VersaMax 26 in barrel, Nordic Components 11 shot tube, and XS express rear sight. Fantastic gunsmithing by Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. I used to shoot a Benelli M1 which is a good gun but the Versamax is as relaible and sure kicks less.
Û
Pistol: CZ75 CTS Long Slide in 9mm by the CZ Custom Shop. A pistol that I will stack up against any STI any day of the week.</div></div>

Might want to pay attention to this. Info is from one of the top multigun competitors in the country.

I have shot some limited 3 Gun over the past couple years and have had a lot of fun and plan on shooting more next year as the state of affairs in the long gun competitions has really turned me off. I use/will use the following in Tac Optics:

Pistol: Glock 34 with Dawson Precision fiber optic front and black rear sights and Vogel trigger.

Shotgun: Benelli M1 Super 90 with 18" barrel and chokes, ghost ring sights, Nordic Components charging handle and mag tube extension. Using it that way as that was how I bought it used a few years back. Will be changing to a 24" barrel and longer mag tube extension(still load to legal capacity to start but after that can load more when moving) and fiber optic sights.

Rifle: Now 18" POF with S&B Short Dot but I will be using a Seekins SP3G when Glen gets it done. http://www.seekinsprecision.com/complete-rifles-1/sp3g.html Can't wait to get that in and shooting with it.

Plan on getting my holster and mag holding up to snuff as well. I know I won't be competitive in Tac Optics coming in this late in the game but I just want to have some fun again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the state of affairs in the long gun competitions has really turned me off. </div></div>

I am pretty new at long gun comps at just over a year. I love it, but obviously only know what I have experienced. What is the state of affairs that has changed from your point of view?

Great thread BTW. Getting my own 3 gun stuff together.

Thanks,
Ty

Tac optics:

JP CTR02 with Burris Tac30 1-4x

FN SLP Mk1, Nordic +2 extension, Surecycle sealed piston, lifter welded up

Springfield XDM 9mm

Tac optics

Benelli M2 21"
AR 18" changing optics Vortex 1-6 on the way
STI 6" Cheely built

Colt CRP-18 topped with Vortex 1-6 Razor HD II

FN SLP MK 1 lifter welded and trigger job by C-rums. Loading port opened by me.

Glock 34 with Dawson FO sights and Skimmer trigger.

Safariland ELS belt set-up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kelly Neal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RIFLE: JP15 18 inch Upper with Bennie Cooley comp. If Tac Limited: Leupold Prismatic with DCD reticle and handloaded Hornday 53 grain VMAX. If Tac Scope: soon to be a Leupold Mk 6 1-6X but has been the Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T with CMR2 reticle. Ammo: Hornady 75 grain Steel Match.

Shotgun: <span style="font-weight: bold">Remington VersaMax</span> 26 in barrel, Nordic Components 11 shot tube, and XS express rear sight. Fantastic gunsmithing by Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. I used to shoot a Benelli M1 which is a good gun but the Versamax is as relaible and sure kicks less.

Pistol: CZ75 CTS Long Slide in 9mm by the CZ Custom Shop. A pistol that I will stack up against any STI any day of the week. </div></div>

My only issue with the versamax is that the loading area is very small to me. I get my thumb stuck in it. And opening it up really doesn't seem like it'd help a whole lot.

Keep it coming!!! What do you shoot and what division???

We shoot a ton of them anymore, all Tac ops.
Seekins Precision - SP3G rifle with Leopold 1-8 MK8
Shotgun M2 26" (holds 10 in the tube)
STI in 40, but its going to be a 9mm this year. Also shoot a Glock...kind of
smile.gif
pistol doesn't matter, you want max capacity in your mags and you need to be able to shoot it well.

Best thing to do is to borrow some kit, go and see what you might like. If i had to do it over i would have a safari land belt setup instead of the Velcro one i have now. the 4x4 shot gun shell holders are nice and dont skimp out on your pistol mag holders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

but I will be using a Seekins SP3G when Glen gets it done. http://www.seekinsprecision.com/complete-rifles-1/sp3g.html Can't wait to get that in and shooting with it. </div></div>

You've been saying this since January, Rob. WTF? How long does it take for one to get built?
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

but I will be using a Seekins SP3G when Glen gets it done. http://www.seekinsprecision.com/complete-rifles-1/sp3g.html Can't wait to get that in and shooting with it. </div></div>

You've been saying this since January, Rob. WTF? How long does it take for one to get built?
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Lets just say when your a good friend it takes longer cause regular customers come first
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

crazy.gif
</div></div>

Lets just say when your a good friend it takes longer cause regular customers come first
wink.gif
</div></div>

That makes sense, then.
laugh.gif

He lives in one of those states with "special" Ned's too
smile.gif

Op,,have you been on the Brian enos forums? Also check out 3 gun nation. Lotsa reading for you!

S&W M&P 9
Colt 6920 with Aimpoint comp M2
Remington 870
Still waiting to win my 1st match

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

crazy.gif
</div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

That makes sense, then.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

And there you go. I am very patient and appreciate Glen's hard work on it and respect his commitment to his customers.

I need my brake pinned and an Ace stock because I can't use collapsible stocks in my state. It sucks but its the law.

yep joined The Enos forum today! ;> I still like to ask some of the same questions I read about on the hide do to the fact that Some of the guys are more critical about a rifles accuracy and id like to get the best/most accurate rifle I can for the competition. Doesn't make me a better shooter but that tells me I cant blame my rifle.....The other forums sometimes dont care about a rifles performance they just care about how long the rails are.... ar15... ect. However I am liking what Im reading on the Enos Forum. Allot of Competition shooters over there!!! If anyone is looking to compete that is definitely a good site!!!

Tactical Optics

LaRue OBR 16 inch with a SF brake. S&B 1-4 Short Dot. Giselle 2-stage trigger.
Benelli 21 inch M2 with Nordic tube. Holds 9+1+1.
STI 2011 Tactical. 140mm mags hold 23+1.

Sometimes I will run a 300 Whisper, just because I can.

We have a local group that I guess you could call outlaw that I shoot with. No classifications just come shoot and practice for bigger matches.

I use a home built 14.5" Vltor/Daniel Defense/Troy rifle with a Geissele Super Dynamic Combat trigger, BattleComp 1.5 and Aimpoint T1. Next year I will break out my post/sample M-16 just for shits and giggles
My pistola is either a FN FNP .45 (that is super bad ass) or a Lone Wolf Timberwolf Glock 17.
The shotgun is a Mossberg 930 SPX w/20" BBL but I think I will get a 22" BBL for it.

I carry my mags and stuff on a HSGI padded belt with taco mag pouches and G-Code holsters. I need to get something better for the shot gun shells than a dump pouch with loose shells. Is there something out there that will attach to MOLLE that will hold the shot shells that will also not break the bank?

Tac ops:

JP Ctr-02. 18" barrel w/ extended hand guard topped w/ a night force 1-4
Salient benelli 21" barrel an 11+1 Nordic tube
SV Infinity 9mm 5"

Limited:

Swap the JP for 1 that I built w/ Eotech or sometimes Leupold Prizmatic.

Tactical Optics

LaRue Tactical 16" PredatAR with SJC Titan comp and Nightforce NXS 1-4 with prototype 3G reticle, Gieselle S3G trigger

Winchester SX3 shotgun w/ 22" VR barrel and Nordic Tube to hold 9+1

Glock 34 with Sevigny narrow rear and fiber optic front sight, stock trigger w/ minus connector. Arredondo base pads to hold 23+1

AP Custom 4x4 shell caddies x 4
Safariland 6377 ALS holster on Safariland ELS belt for easy reconfiguring

Tac Irons:

RRA lower with Jard trigger, BCM blem upper receiver with an 18" Noveske barrel, Samsom rail, and PWS brake. Using an H-1 for optic.

26" Benelli M2, NC +6 extension

CZ SP-01 9mm

I love the CZ. It's the best firearm purchase I have made this year!!

Tac Irons:

Rock River lower that I built using a PSA lower kit and a Jard non-adjustable trigger. Upper is a BCM 14.5 inch mid-length upper with a permantly attached Michlak comp. Eotech 512 optic.

Winchester SX2 with an extension.

Glock 34 or STI Eagle 5.0 depending on what I have been practicing with more for USPSA matches.

Guns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie Papa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use different guns depending on the match venue and if it's USPSA or outlaw. 9mm S&W M&P if it's outlaw and no power factor, Tangfolio Witness Limited .40 otherwise. 11" AR with reflex sight if short venue (100 yds or less), 20" AR with 4x ACOG otherwise. But I always use my Benelli Super 90 M1 18.5" with rifle sights (not the ghost ring). Love that Benelli!

I'm a member over at the Brian Enos forum, too. Lots of good 3-gun info there.</div></div>

+1

I use an AR15 with various uppers/optics (depending on match venue and target distances), an S-V Infinity with interchangeable breech faces (9x19mm and .40S&W) and a modified Benelli M1S90 (welded lifter, beveled loading port, enlarged bolt release and safety, etc.); I also occasionally use a Glock 34 as a "back-up" pistol or when I want to try something different

Pistol: CZ75 CTS Long Slide in 9mm by the CZ Custom Shop. A pistol that I will stack up against any STI any day of the week. </div></div>

Damn Kelly took you 2 years to make your first post.

I final got my rig together. Now this craziness with ammo is threatening my lustrous 3-gun career before I get to shoot in a match.

Beretta PX4 Storm 9 MM

RRA LAR-15 Elite Operator.

Versa Max

I'm with you Don.

i had planned to focus on 3 gun this year but with the insanity am going to focus on LR instead.