• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What are your thought on FFP?

mram10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Idaho
Is there a huge advantage for the shooter on FFPs? Is it worth the money? Advantages?

Re: What are your thought on FFP?

The last thing I want in the sight picture is a bunch of doodad shit cluttering up my view.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last thing I want in the sight picture is a bunch of doodad shit cluttering up my view. </div></div>

can you be of the more specific variety????Doodad shit, what the hell is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate it. </div></div>

This guys a jack ass. Running up his post count.

Everything that grows in size,in relationship to the zoom change. I've got better shit to do than try to see through such obtrusions and then holdoff into NeverNever Land.

Give me LRF,turrets,crosshair intersection and hold the fluff.

Feel free to stick your neck out,as far as you dare.

its out there....feel free to swing away, but make sure your LRF has fresh batteries, you might not guesstimate distance to well. but for a simplist as yourself, or so you seem. You sure do put a good deal of faith in LRFs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate it. </div></div>

This guys a jack ass. Running up his post count. </div></div>

You haven't been around long enough to know that OO is a hide celebrity's new stage name
wink.gif

I find that anyone that does not like a FFP reticle generally doesn't use their rifles in a hunting capacity.

For me, there is no greater joy that knowing my hold-overs and leads are correct at ANY magnification. ESPECIALLY when coyote hunting, when my targets are often running.

OilyOwl will be along soon with some well written 18th century worded post showing all of us how inferior we are. Sad really, must be lonely up there Larry. But im still awaiting a response to my question of when the LRF fails

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its out there....feel free to swing away, but make sure your LRF has fresh batteries, you might not guesstimate distance to well. but for a simplist as yourself, or so you seem. You sure do put a good deal of faith in LRFs </div></div>

I don't guess and am not hamstrung with your "abilities".

That do skew the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find that anyone that does not like a FFP reticle generally doesn't use their rifles in a hunting capacity.

For me, there is no greater joy that knowing my hold-overs and leads are correct at ANY magnification. ESPECIALLY when coyote hunting, when my targets are often running. </div></div>

Tell yourself that which most coddles your emotions,you'll have far better luck bullshitting yourself,than you will me.

Hint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything that grows in size,in relationship to the zoom change. I've got better shit to do than try to see through such obtrusions and then holdoff into NeverNever Land.

Give me LRF,turrets,crosshair intersection and hold the fluff. </div></div>

Valid point for sure, but the task at hand is different and requires different tools.

If I were hunting flesh and blood I'd agree but I'm usually hunting steel at varying ranges under a time constraint, so having my holdovers work at all powers is a boon, and proper reticle selection can defer the bust of reticle subtension.
SFP mil reticle in the field for a hunter provides a good backup if ranging is needed, but they have cost me shots in comps when my little peabrain forgot to adjust to the proper power (or apply the proper conversion for the power dialed).

Park and Ork-you have never seen the signs "don't feed the bears", or were you under the impression they just don't apply to you.

L-I'm hoping Frank lets you hang out a while, the peanut gallery's gotten a little interesting in your absence.......

'biker',

How's things? Good I hope.

Now onto the OP's initial query and I quote: "Is there a huge advantage for the shooter on FFPs? Is it worth the money? Advantages?"

I savvy the benefits associated with subtention being a constant,but my favorite FFP scopes are fixed power.(grin)

Less is so very often more.

So you guys think a fine cross hair scope with the right dope on it is better than a retical that is not as bussy as the hold overs.I'am just getting into precision shooting that makes sence to me to use a fine cross hair than the other but for some reason the hold overs seam nice in the other sence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Care to offer up any explanation of your beliefs? ... or just want to keep trying to impress people with what you DON'T say? </div></div>

What part of crosshair intersection don't you understand?!!?

The middle?

I prefer FFP, mostly for not having to have my scope on max power to utilize my reticle effectively. To me, if a scopes reticle doesn't subtend correctly at all ranges, it might as well be a duplex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer FFP, mostly for not having to have my scope on max power to utilize my reticle effectively. To me, if a scopes reticle doesn't subtend correctly at all ranges, it might as well be a duplex. </div></div>

EXACTLY.

Try to shoot running coyotes at unknown distances and tell me it isnt EASIER with a FFP variable instead of a fixed 10x or a nightforce at 11 or 22x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuddenDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you guys think a fine cross hair scope with the right dope on it is better than a retical that is not as bussy as the hold overs.I'am just getting into precision shooting that makes sence to me to use a fine cross hair than the other but for some reason the hold overs seam nice in the other sence. </div></div>

Fine crosswires are a niche tool,for playing,though I slum them in various guises.

Simplistic reticles interest me,because I like to do my business in the center of the glass,if only because nothing is more finite. It also aids chasing trace/impact,which are more good things in my book.

Mils cover a goodly amount of surface area and are counterproductive to finite placement. You can't hit shit hiding behind a black blob.

It takes more than a Duplex to piss me off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mils cover a goodly amount of surface area and are counterproductive to finite placement. </div></div>

IMG_3272.JPG

That is a vortex razor. FFP mil/mil. That house is 1 mile away. You can see the door. As you can see it would be VERY easy to put that reticle on a person standing in that door. My premier has a finer reticle yet.

If you aren't covering them up with that fat reticle at 1760yds, you sure as hell aren't going to any closer.

Care to try again?

ok, so I need to look for a FFP scope and learn to use it correctly for this great game of precision shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer FFP, mostly for not having to have my scope on max power to utilize my reticle effectively. To me, if a scopes reticle doesn't subtend correctly at all ranges, it might as well be a duplex. </div></div>

I Concur

Tactical shooting.
smile.gif
Tactical. Because that word is cooler than precision. j/k
wink.gif

Seriously though, Oily is right about one thing, for the ultimate in "fine" adjustments and precision... you'll want a SFP with a fine reticle and fine clicks.

However, if you want to use the scope for ranging, and will be shooting known and unknown distance, and movers? Then FFP is absolutely where its at in my opinion.

Subtention is hardly new to me and that assuredly isn't a mile,or your Vortex isn't in synch...all of which is a whole bunch more than a little bit likely.

Much looking forward to you telling me how tall that tree is next.

Laffin'

I like my FFP as well, but it is an ST-10. I'll be looking for a SFP NF shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Care to try again? </div></div>

As for this, I am grabbing my popcorn. You are WAY out of your league.

Josh

I've not calibrated your shoddy Vortex,to have the requisite info to make that determination.

You gadget gals certainly impress easily.

Oily, I live here dipshit. I'm pretty sure I know how far away that house is... and its as close to 1 mile on the DOT as you can get to that front door without using a tape measure.

1.2 mils puts it at 1850yds, and 1.3 puts it at 1709. So if you are good enough to split a mil into 10ths it shouldnt be that hard for you to range that door. Secondly, I've lased that fuckn house from the halfway point, out there in that field... and drove the distance in my pickup just for the hell of it.

Being you don't live here, I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about how far away that house is though.

If that's an 80" door measuring 1 mil, I get 2222yds?

Did I do that math right?

I didn't prescribe a distance,other than to note obviously,that you are talking out your ass. You seem comfy in that role,undoubtedly due to practice.

While you can bullshit the fans,you can't bullshit the players.

Love how you assert your cluelessness by a fantasized LRF reading,which does your subtention-fu no favors. Watch out for slack on the rope,because it will do you no favors.

Hint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that's an 80" door measuring 1 mil, I get 2222yds?

Did I do that math right? </div></div>

Let her ramble,it's fixxin' to get good.

Next we'll talk movers and such.(grin)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've not calibrated your shoddy Vortex,to have the requisite info to make that determination.

You gadget gals certainly impress easily. </div></div>

You call Nightforce "Nightfarce" and you hate FFP. Are you trying to make yourself feel better about a shitty scope, talking out of your ass, or both?

I smell both "edits" and "deletes".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've not calibrated your shoddy Vortex,to have the requisite info to make that determination.

You gadget gals certainly impress easily. </div></div>

You call Nightforce "Nightfarce" and you hate FFP. Are you trying to make yourself feel better about a shitty scope, talking out of your ass, or both? </div></div>

Nightfarce is an earned moniker and I don't recall citing any glass that would get you so flustered.

Though I can and prolly will.

Are you blind?

If you think that house isn't 1 mile you are too dumb to even carry on this conversation.

One second in my front yard and you'd realize just how stupid you are in your claim that the house is anything but a mile away. Its not like its a guess. Keep on though. I'm bout to wrap that rope of yours around your neck.

rough ranging with the reticle puts that door at roughly 1800 yds. 1760 is a mile.

Again, FFP is better for the role of tactical shooting. Why you ask? Your reticle subtends correctly throughout all powers on the magnification range of the scope. You dont have to remember what fucking power the scope is calibrated for when you have a moving target, you can shoot on any power and see misses and impacts and measure the distance to get your POI where you would like it on any power.

But since almighty Larry says SFP with the LRF is the way to go, then damn, everyone here should sell their FFPs and run the SFP scopes. Larry you are undoubtly going to come back with something that most college english professors cant comprehend, so save your energy. But it is what it is. Flex those internet tough guy muscles.

The roads here are square miles. ... and the swarovski range finder usually doesn't have trouble ranging a HOUSE inside 1500yds, much less inside 1000yds.

I've drawn in the top and bottom of the door for those with poor eyesight. ... and yes, its a shitty picture... but you can still get to 1/10ths without too much trouble.

IMG_3272.JPG

remind me to post Boltripper's 1800yard Goat shot

using a lowly 2nd FP premier mildot vx3

'n yes got the lucky bastard mill'd correctly.....