• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Auto Powder dispenser do you like better?

TacBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Wyoming
I am looking at the Hornady and the Lyman? Anyone have some experience with the newer models out there? Thanks!

Re: What Auto Powder dispenser do you like better?

One of my friends had the Lyman and it gave him all kinds of problems so he took it back. I haven't used the hornady but I have a chargemaster and it has been great and worth every penny. Not to mention that rcbs has some of the best customer service. I would buy another chargemaster before anything else, but that my .02.

Walter

I actually bought one to test out... a "smart reloader isd" cheap thing, like $165-175 retail, I bought it just to test and see if I could recommend it to customers, I've had it a little while and I'm still using it instead of the chargemaster, it's good... not quite CM good, but way better than anything else I've ever tried.

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?co...mp;%20Dispenser

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wburke2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my friends had the Lyman and it gave him all kinds of problems so he took it back. I haven't used the hornady but I have a chargemaster and it has been great and worth every penny. Not to mention that rcbs has some of the best customer service. I would buy another chargemaster before anything else, but that my .02.

Walter </div></div>

You wouldn't happen to know what Generation of Lyman he had? 1,2 or 3? Thanks

I would assume that the kinks might be worked out on the latest 3rd Gen model Lyman. I have found a few bad reviews, but a bunch of good reviews and our local shop has been selling the crap out of them. They also have been selling the RCBS and their customers have been have very good luck, but the price is keeping them from selling over the others.

I had a Lyman 3. It would not hold a zero and weights wandered as you would expect. Accuracy issues were observed. I contacted Lyman and did everything they suggested. Still did not work to my expectations. They replaced it with a new one. Same issues. Replaced in the same spot with the RCBS and have had zero issues once I reprogrammed it so it didn't take til the next ice age to drop powder.

The "same spot" comment is to address all of the 'cell phone', 'fluorescent light', 'gamma ray', 'alien mother ship' interference issues alleged to cause issues with these scales.

I have no problem recommending the Chargemaster.

John

Save up a little more and wait for a sale at Natchez and get the Chargemaster. You won't regret it.
Great customer service down the road if needed from somebody that speaks English a major plus.

I've been doing this since '65, the only powder measures I've used and liked were Lee, Lyman, Herters, Hornady, RCBS, and Redding; each worked best after I learned the proper manner of operation of course. And I've never had any measure shift volume on me IF I properly locked the adjustment. But, if you have trouble getting it right a digital dumpster will do it for you, at a price.

RCBS here. I did a lot of homework before choosing it and thus far its been a great addition.

I'm not sure what generation it was, but it was not long ago that he had it. It was around the middle of last year when he got it then took it back the same week.

Walter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Friar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS here. I did a lot of homework before choosing it and thus far its been a great addition. </div></div>

Same here. I did my due diligence, and the RCBS unit was clearly the one to buy.

Got it thru NatchezSS for $275, plus RCBS has a $50 rebate if you spend $300 on their product(s) this year. Certain items up that to $75, such as Alliant powder. So, because I use RL17, the Chargemaster really cost me $200. Can't complain with that.

Been wondering this same thing, looks like I will be buying a CM soon. Thanks guys. Good luck OP

Well, I went to Cabelas and bought the Hornady Auto Charge, as noone had an RCBS in town. It is spot on every time. Last night I threw 50 charges in a row and verified each one with a different digital scale and a RCBS 10-10 and every one of them was dead on. I will stick with this till it fails. Thanks Guys!!

i have the hornady and its a giant piece of shit. One in three loads it throws over. You can set it to retard a few tenths at a time but even then it throws over. I can set it to slow and to stop 8/10 of a grain short and trickle up and it still throws over. Only way i get any halfway decent results is to prop the front of the dispenser up on a cci primer tray. I went back to using my uniflow powder measure and it is faster and still accurate to within a tenth of a grain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have the hornady and its a giant piece of shit. One in three loads it throws over. You can set it to retard a few tenths at a time but even then it throws over. I can set it to slow and to stop 8/10 of a grain short and trickle up and it still throws over. Only way i get any halfway decent results is to prop the front of the dispenser up on a cci primer tray. I went back to using my uniflow powder measure and it is faster and still accurate to within a tenth of a grain. </div></div>

Sorry to hear that you have a bad one? I will see how mine does over time and report back.

I use the chargemaster and it has work great, I verified the first 100 loads with another electronic scale as well as the 5-0-5 ? that came with the RCBS reloading kit and had 3 that were just over the desired weight.

I picked up a used lyman DPS3 its been working fine for me, it will throw heavy every now and then since some powder can fall out of the tube after it stops, I set it .2 lower than what I want and just tap on the end of the tube to get my last .2 out. the scales is holding right with my dillon beam scales. I only use it for powders like varget since its so big my hornady LNL press dont like throwing that so I hand weight those, any ball powders I just set the press up to throw it.

I gave away my Hornady L&L Auto Charge once I got my Chargmaster. In my personal experience, no comparison. The was Chargmaster was far more consistent and repeatable than the Hornady. The Hornady had lots of problems with over throwing on various powders where the Chargmaster did not. Cant compare to the Lyman, but I would not recommend the Hornady until they make some improvements.

Oops, sorry. I didn't see you already bought the Hornady. Well, maybe yours will perform better then mine did. I would keep the receipt and mark on the calendar the last day a return would be accepted.

Ive only ever had a chargemaster and I have only loaded maybe 400rnds using it but I really like it alot. No wondering zero, cal weights spot on, no overcharges but I changed the programing and did the straw trick right from the start. But who knows...Electronics can go to S in a heartbeat.

I had a Hornady before I got my Prometheus. It was a POS in my opinion. I've used a Chargemaster and it is a much better product in the same price range.

Yes, the Hornady is going on my piece of shit list also!!! I will just go out and pull some paper off my money tree and go buy an RCBS!
wink.gif
Live and Learn!!!