• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk What barrel profile are you using ?

Even before I started competing, I've always liked heavier rifles. I started competing and kept with that, I use a GAP #7 contour which is a straight taper m40 contour I believe.

26" med palma 6br on John Hancock
26" heavy palma .223 on John Hancock
18" M24 6.5 PRC on John Hancock
26" Heavey Palma 6.5 CM on AI/AT
26" MTU .25CM on AI/AT
20" Factory .308 AI/AT
26" Sendero on .300WM

Reactions: King_beardsly
23" Heavy Palma in 6mm Creedmoor. Ran a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor for the last couple years and loved the short length but needed a little more weight up front. 23" Heavy give me the weight I need to balance out my rifle.

Varmint/Sendero barrels

.308 26"
6.5 CM 22"

I'll probably never burn out the .308 barrel, but the 6.5 I'll probably go to a Marksman profile and extend it to 24" when it comes time to swap it out.

.308 20” sendero
6.5 24” #7 shillen
.223 trainer 26” MTU
6.5 24” M24

23.5" Factory Tikka 223 Varmint that shoots lights out

26" light varmint Bartlein 22BR

23.5" medium palma 6.5 creedmoor that isn't heavy enough for PRS, but ok for hunting. Have a heavy palma blank for the next barrel, will finish at 26" minimum.

6.5 CM, 26” Bartlien Heavy Palma
6.5 CM, 16.5” Proof Sendero
225 Valkyrie, 22” Kreiger M24

I was at 23lbs, but just recently reduced the weight. I didnt care for it.

Side by side with an 18lb rifle didnt seem like there was any noticeable difference in recoil from prone or barricades.

I was at 23lbs, but just recently reduced the weight. I didnt care for it.

Side by side with an 18lb rifle didnt seem like there was any noticeable difference in recoil from prone or barricades.

i went down in weight for my next barrel too. Ordered M24 instead of Heavy Varmint/MTU. Should be about 1lb lighter.

Reactions: Birddog6424
.260 Rem SAAMI, 28" 1:8" Lothar-Walther LW-50 Stainless, #5171 Savage Varmint contour, 11 Deg Crown. Still going since 2003 (-ish?)

Original (was 24: 1:8" factory .260 barrel) SH Ghost Dancer 2001 Savage 10FP .260 with this aftermarket barrel upgrade. Shooting this rifle, it is a pussycat. Guessing 12lb or so, all up. I'm no sprinter at 73.

Greg

Reactions: Average guy
I use a stock, factory rifle for varminting, I have a semi custom for big game and low round count midrange use. I also have a semi custom for F/TR, but I've only shot full-custom rifles in F-Open.

6.5cm - 24" #7 sendero
300wm - 27" #7 sendero
223 - 20" med. Palma
22lr - 20" kukri

I’m guess you’ve got almost zero recoil with the 6BR

there’s still some but with an impact brake it’s not too bad at all. For free recoil the key to watching your impacts I’ve found is light recoiling round not loaded too hot, heavy rifle that has a balance point in front of the mag well, good brake, scope with a good eyebox.

I’m in the process for doing a 6dasher in a M24 contour, so I’m trying to gauge people’s recoil with something roughly around the same contour.

I’d recommend MTU. Little heavier and longer shank but that’s just my .02. You really can’t go too heavy for PRS. I know a lot of guys that run straight taper

True, I’m slowly working into heavier barrels and I got a smoken deal on the dasher so I can complain to much