• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what barrel to use

taxman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2012
north west oregon
im going to rebuild a remington 700 that was given to me and i was wanting to build it as more accurate than anything i have, recently i've been shooting at the 600 yard line and not too happy with what i have . i know the barrel is important. what i want to know is ss or cm and who is the best manufacture of barrels for this use

Re: what barrel to use

I have a Rock Creek on my .338 and it shoots lasers. I have a Lilja coming in on my 300 win mag, and I can only hope for the same results!

My buddy has a Benchmark barrel on his 7mm-08 and you can stack as many rounds on top of each other as you want over and over. Also alot of people are Bartlein fans.

the one you can get in less than 6 months - before you forget why you wanted it

surgeon uses kreigers , gap uses bartlein that should give you a pretty good indication of the quality of those two barrels

ok thanks for some of the info but one question still is in my mind stainless or crome moly

If you have to ask you need to do more reading. Pick your specs. That will narrow your list of manufacturers down. All are very competative and wouldn't last long making subpar barrels.

Fluted? Straight or pattern, 6, 8, 10 Brux, and Hart offer several patterns. Krieger only flutes #6 minimum.

Number of grooves? 4, 5, 6

Contour? Krieger starts at #5 in stainless for 30 cal.

Canted rifling? Broughton, Shilin, Kriger, Rock, Obermeyer

Gain twist? Bartlein

Cost? Rock Creek is a great value.

Delivery time?

Tell us what you want and we can help you narrow down your specs and decision

Go here http://www.bugholes.com/barrels.php when you decide what you want as they have a great selection of barrels in stock and great service. You could PM bugholes here on the 'hide and ask him any questions you might have or give them a call.

I have and had, kriegr, bartlein, pac nor, shilen and benchmark, a 1/2 mOA barrel is a 1/2 MOA barrel, they all were and better than that too.
hope this helps confusing you a bit.
cheers.

Start with a straight one. Doh. OK, I'll go away now. Happy 4th.

L

thanks for all of your guys imput, i called alot of the companies listed and im going to go with rock creek barrels mike seems to be a very good guy and was impressed with his knowledge and his prices.

My 6.5CM is a Kreiger SS in a HV#17 taper. If the holes in the target don't touch, I did something wrong its that accurate.