• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrel twist rate for 308 build?

Go for the 1 in 11.25" it will work great for 168 and 175grs. I would not go with the 1 in 10" unless you are going short and shooting heavier grain bullets or subsonic.

I just ordered a #4 Bartlein that will finish at 24" with a 11.25" twist. I vote that you try to be just like me.

1-10" would be ideal, but just for the record I shoot 168g A-MAX and 175g Bergers out of my AW with a 1-12" twist and achieve .5 - .75 inch groups at 250 yards.

A 1-12 twist will handle most bullets up to about 190gr. A 1-10 twist won't give you any better accuracy. Most of my barrels on my guns are 1-11 or 1-11.25 and I shoot primarily 155's and 175gr. bullets. The only reason to go to a faster twist like 1-10 is if you intend on trying to shoot bullets heavier than 190gr.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Of the 5 308 barrels I've had, 4 of them were generally great - all 10 twists. The one that wasn't great was a 12.

I would personally choose an 11 or 11.25 if I was going to be shooting FGMM 175 or M118LR ONLY.

If I were going to be making my own ammo, trying different things, and wanted the most flexibility possible, I'll choose a 10 twist every time.

Questions you have to ask are:

"What are the negatives associated with a 10 twist, compared to an ~11 or 12?"
-increased spin drift @ long range - I can't hold, or windcall the difference of a couple inches @ 1000 yards, so this is a moot point for me
- potential to overspeed (and blow jackets off) bullets at high velocity - 308 doesn't have enough horsepower to do this with any 30 caliber bullet, so a moot point
- more elevation deflection due to wind via increased bullet precession - Again, I can't call the wind or hold good enough for this to matter at all.
- slight loss in velocity because of increased twist - I write this one off because I think there is more variability from one "identical" barrel to the next. I've never seen any compelling evidence or data supporting this.
- Not the "perfect theoretical twist" for the 175smk - I think there is some merit to this, which is why I stated above that if I was ONLY going to shoot 175s, I'd get a 11.25 twist barrel. That said, all my 10 twists have done beautiful with 175s.

"What are the negatives associated with an 11, 11.25 or 12 twist, compared to a 10?"
- less flexibility with bullets, particularly the heavies
- increased chance of keyholing with subsonics when using a can

For me, the easy answer is 1-10, but YMMV.

Of the 5 308 barrels I've had, 4 of them were generally great - all 10 twists. The one that wasn't great was a 12.

What were the variables outside of the twist rate on these that caused your 1 in 12 to not be good? I've got a 1 in 12 that consistently shoots 1/2 MOA just curious.

If I had to do it all over again I would most likely choose the 1 in 11 though it does give you a larger range of options IRT to bullet weight.

A 1-12 twist will handle most bullets up to about 190gr. A 1-10 twist won't give you any better accuracy. Most of my barrels on my guns are 1-11 or 1-11.25 and I shoot primarily 155's and 175gr. bullets. The only reason to go to a faster twist like 1-10 is if you intend on trying to shoot bullets heavier than 190gr.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Just incase you missed it; the man has spoken ;)

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Is there any drawback to the 1-10 twist when shooting lighter than 190gr? I am asking because I have one of your barrels in 1-10 and I shoot the 178 Amax. It does a fine job putting them in the same hole.

Is there any drawback to the 1-10 twist when shooting lighter than 190gr? I am asking because I have one of your barrels in 1-10 and I shoot the 178 Amax. It does a fine job putting them in the same hole.

No not really. When you shoot a lighter weight bullet in a faster twist barrel the key is in the quality of the bullet and or the loaded ammunition. A poorer quality bullet and or loaded ammo where the bullet/loaded round has a lot of run out the faster twist will amplify the run out and this is what leads to the groups going sour. I'll give you an extreme example.

Had a rack grade Colt AR15a2. Factory 1-7 twist barrel. Shooting handloads with 69gr. Sierra's the gun would actually group in the 3/4" to 1" range at a 100 yards. One time at the range I ran out of my handloads but had some ball ammo with me. So I thought what the heck I'll use the handloads to practice my off hand shooting. Out of the first 5 rounds 3 of them went thru the target sideways (perfect looking keyholes). Went back to the range a few days later. More handloads with 69gr. bullets, some more ball ammo and I also loaded up some Hornady 52gr match boat tail bullets. The 69gr handloads shot the same. So all checked out there. Shot 5 rounds of the 55gr ball ammo. Again 2 out of 5 rounds went thru the target sideways. I then shot 20 rounds of the handloads with the 52gr. Hornady bullets and those loads averaged right around 3/4" at a 100 yards. Those 55gr and 52gr. bullets would've properly stabilized in a 1-14 twist barrel. The key with shooting the lighter weight bullets was the quality of the components/ammunition that I shot.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

A 1/11.25 works fine in my wife's Rem7005R with 168s and 178s. However, I don't see any disadvantage to getting a 1/10.