• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events What Binoculars are you using for spotting?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    I’ve finally gotten a couple PRS style comps behind me, and I’ve realized that a good binocular is really a must.
    I had the opportunity to watch trace and spot hits behind Swarovski 15X56, Leupold Santaim HD 15X56, and Leica Geovid 3200.COM 10X42’s.

All three were fantastic. I was really impressed with the Leupold optics, and the Leica’s were by far the brightest….likely due to the 10X compared to the 15X of the other two.

I say all this to say I’m looking to buy 15X binoculars instead of a spotting scope to get the performance that my aged 7X Steiners are lacking.

What are your thoughts and what’s your preference on binos if you don’t mind?

Thanks boys!

You have a few choices to make:

1) Magnification, sounds like you already settled on 15x which is a great fit for PRS
    2) Integrated rangefinder or not: I don't know that there are any with 15x that are suitable, so this conflicts with #1
    3) Budget
    4) Any particular priorities (objective diameter, weight/size restrictions, mounting options, reticle for measuring target sizes, etc.)

For the money a good set of bushnell forge binos can hardly be beat. There were several for sale in the px
    Jmo though. Lots of good glass out there for prs stuff

I have tried and still have, Leupold (Acadia I think), Zeiss victory 10x42 LRF, Swaro 10x EL Range, Swaro 12x Pure, Meopta 15x, and now the new Revic RF Binos.
    That said, the Pure line is quite possible the best glass and ergos of them all. The 12x punch higher than 12x and yet SEEM to have a wider FOV the the 10x binos. If I was forced to keep only 1 pair, the Pure 12x is it. However the ballistics of the Revics are the easiest to navigate and spot on, the Zeiss are 2nd best (rimfire application is all I've used mine for).
    I'm sure there are lots of great binos, these are just the ones I've had personally.

Last edited:
    Swaro SLC 15x56 are the gold standard IMO, having worked my way up from cheaper Vortex 10's. I've also got Meopta 12x's and have compared the SLC's to the Swaro 12x Pure and have looked through Leupold and Meopta 15's.

Big fan of the 12x50 Swarovski EL, been using them for three years now at matches. The only issues I've had is the number of folks wanting look through them :p

Reactions: Craig Brown
    The new Bushnell forge 15x with the reticle is what I’d get if strictly for PRS use.

The glass is plenty adequate for PRS use and the reticle will be extremely useful.

Reactions: patriotnation
    I have tried and still have, Leupold (Acadia I think), Zeiss victory 10x42 LRF, Swaro 10x EL Range, Swaro 12x Pure, Meopta 15x, and now the new Revic RF Binos.
    That said, the Pure line is quite possible the best glass and ergos of them all. The 12x punch higher than 12x and yet SEEM to have a wider FOV the the 10x binos. If I was forced to keep only 1 pair, the Pure 12x is it. However the ballistics of the Revics are the easiest to navigate and spot on, the Zeiss are 2nd best (rimfire application is all I've used mine for).
    I'm sure there are lots of great binos, these are just the ones I've had personally.
    the 12x NL Pure HAS the same FOV or better than about every other 10x42 and even 10x50s

and yeah the glass and ergo are unmatched

i'm waiting on the new bushnell 15x reticle binos to arrive, as a compliment to my 12x NL Pure

Reactions: Travis224
    I’m not a PRS shooter, so take this with a grain of salt. I have a pair of the prev gen Leica Geovid R 15x LRF binos, and couldn’t be happier with them for varmint hunting. Some vendors talk them down, but they are something special.

The new ones have a stated range of 2000yds, but you know how stated ranges are. If you want a LRF integrated into your binos, I believe this pair is the only one in town.

Otherwise, consider demoing (they have a program) the Maven 18x B5, which was better than the 18x UHD Razors to my eyes, side by side.

Now, I didn’t have my Leica binos next to the Mavens, but I think the Leicas are better. The Leicas don’t try to flatten everything like modern Swaros do.

Anyway, there you have it.

Swaro SLC 15x56 is what you will find many of the top shooters using. They are superior to any other binos I have personally looked through.

People often look through mine at matches or at the range and comment on how good they are. The only downside is the cost.

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    I run the meopta Meostar bx1 15x binos and am very happy with them

Reactions: alcap
    Vortex Razor UHD 10x50. They can be had pretty cheap and seem to be a decent upgrade over the $1000ish range finding binos.

Leupold BX5 10x42.
    Lightweight and great. Used on hunts and 1000+ yards targets.

Reactions: Salinas
    If you are looking to dip your toe in, the Steiner HX 15x56 are exceptional at their price point. I bought a very lightly used pair for $700 and they give up very little to the Swaro, Zeiss and Leica.

Also, if you are okay with going bigger, the 15x80 Steiners are available with a reticle. They are big, but they are very bright and clear.

Swarovski SLC 15x56.

I've had Forges, UHDs, Vipers and ELs as well as spotters with and without reticles. The SLC comes out on top evert time.

I wouldn't get too hung up on having a reticle. Most MDs will have target sizes in the book and if not, you'll be able to get target width as soon as your head is in your scope. Personally, I'd much rather have top end glass and no reticle vs a reticle and okay glass.

Reactions: stiletto raggio
    I have a Leupold 15 x 40, the eye relief is a little longer than most spotting scopes and you can turn the power down if the boat has very much motion, and up if not. It also has the option for a shoulder stock so you don't need a tripod, which has been handy for hunting as there is seldom time to set up a tripod when you are verifying whether your target is legal or not. It's not "the best", but is very adequate for the job and the manufacturer has a great reputation and warranty.

If you are looking to dip your toe in, the Steiner HX 15x56 are exceptional at their price point. I bought a very lightly used pair for $700 and they give up very little to the Swaro, Zeiss and Leica.

Also, if you are okay with going bigger, the 15x80 Steiners are available with a reticle. They are big, but they are very bright and clear.
    Do you think the 80mm is better optically ?

Update from my original posting….I ended up purchasing a like new pair of Swarovski SLC 15X56 binos from a fellow hide member.

I can definitely say that I believe I made the right choice for my needs. I’ve used them for spotting all the way out to 1400yds, and they’ve been the bees knees.

In addition, I’ve used them for nature watching, and have been completely blown away with the clarity and crispness.

Now that I’ve spent some time behind the Swaro’s, I can see the differences when I try other binos on the line; where before, I couldn’t really appreciate the differences in glass quality.

Like my meopta meostar b1 plus 15x binos, glass and color is fantastic. I just wish you could focus a diopter for each barrel like the other alpha binos.

Have used most every piece of high end glass.....binos and spotter. Swaro, Hendsoldt, Meopta, Minox.....etc etc.

For general spotting that doesn't require a reticle, I always go back to the Swaro SLC 15x56, followed by Swaro NL Pure 12x. I just prefer the 15x magnification overall. Unless non tripod use is required. Then the Pures.

If they ever make a 15x pure, I'll burn the skin off my hand getting my wallet out of my pocket.

I have the Swaro SLC15x and the Leupold BX5 Santiam 15x. Swaro is definitely king and the gold standard like many would agree. However if I were to do it all again from the beginning I’d buy a LRF bino. Yes PRS will give you distances but there has been times where they were just slightly off and the couple field match’s that I have shot targets were unknown. So you had to identify and range yourself.

I use my Revic 10x42 Acura BLR10b Ballistic Rangefinding Binocular

I had the SLC’s but the interpupillary distance wouldn’t work for me so I sold them.
    I then tried the 12x Pures and they were very good but missed having 15x so after the new Bushnell Pro got some decent reviews ordered A pair.
    Take this with understanding I am looking thru 70 year old eyes but I can’t really see much difference between the Pro and the SLC.
    At the edges yes the SLC ‘s stay sharper but looking thru them side by side just not enough difference to warrant paying 3x price.
    Its nice having the reticle as well for measuring targets.