• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What BMG for LR ?

Re: What BMG for LR ?

I have never fired the 408s or 375s but I have fired the tac 50 a lot. I can hit hit a 15in plate at 1000 pretty easily, but not all the time so the rifle/cartridge is not as accurate as id like. I have attempted to recreate Rob Furlongs shot but could only get 2400yds. I set up a silhouette target on a stand, ranged it with a vectronix rangefinder at 2417. I hit the target and knocked it down on my 6th shot.

That's impressive. Whay type of ammo are you using for that shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the caliber that all other long range calibers are compared too,so that says alot about it's LR capabilities.Like it or not.
STEVE</div></div>

Please explain how and where you derived that information?
Lets view quick comparison...

50BMG with 750Amax has average transonic range of 1700.
408CT with 419gr M40 solids have average transonic range of 2200m.
375/408 with 350gr M40 solids have average transonic range of 2800m.
So it supersonic distances the 50BMG is nowhere near comparison.

375/408 with 350gr M40 solids at 3100fps MV has 2051ft/lbs at 1800m
408 with 419gr M40 solids at 2850fps MV has 1572ft/lbs at 1800m
50BMG with 750Amax at 2800fps MV has 2500ft/lbs at 1800m

So the 50BMG has little more ft/lbs but you said in comparison to LR shooting to the discussion of HTI is not relevant here.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">after doing a fact check on the wall issue,it was a different sniper who shot through a side wall of a (metal)shack with a 50bmg.My source for this info is usually very reliable,</div></div>

Actually now you are bringing in a completely different BMG shooting scenario than the first 2 you combined LOL. So instead of relying on a "source" for information how about you gain your own information. The 2 scenarios you combined in your first story was of Rob Furlong and Steve Reichert. Robs was the distance record and Steves was 1 mile thru the block wall.

Thanks </div></div>

Did I not say I should've checked my intel before posting ??? And didn't I post that I had it wrong after checking ?? I also said the 50 is always the comparison caliber,not the best LR caliber.Maybe they'll adopt one of the newer calibers,but as of right now,the Tac50 "is" in service with the military.You can list all the comparisons you like,but the slow and inaccurate 50Bmg "<span style="text-decoration: underline">Still</span>" holds the longest recorded sniper kill in the books to date.LOL.I still reccomend getting a 50bmg rifle to round out a collection.
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's impressive. Whay type of ammo are you using for that shot? </div></div>

I was using a Hornady 750gr Amax handload of mine that is terrible inside 300yds but shines past a 1000yds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass, primer, powder, weight? </div></div>

and velocity also. Still experimenting with my AMAX load.

"Rounding out a collection" as "Shoots 100" said, is reason enough for me to get one.
myerfire

IMI brass
231.6gr of H-50bmg
not sure of the velocity I've never chronographed this load
CCI primers
Hornady 750gr Amax

A lot of case prep as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMI brass
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">231.6gr of H-50bmg</span></span>
CCI primers
Hornady 750gr Amax

</div></div>

Wow, both of my Windrunner and Barrett M99 top around 226-227 grains of H50BMG. Bolts get sticky. With 223 grains of powders, both my rifles run around 2560 fps. Both have 29" barrel.

there are pressure signs on the case and the bolt is a little sticky but i hardly shoot that load. I loaded up 45 rnds about a year ago and have only shot 19 rnds. normal load for h50bmg is 225.2 and i have no pressure issues.

Definitely dont' recommend shooting that load in mid summer here that's for sure. Good shooting azlayer.

Almost 17gr over max according to the Hornady manual.

Would definitely want to work up to that one carefully.
smile.gif

It took a lot of shooting and thanks to an experienced shooter from the 50 cal scene I got that load. Its not like i just poured it in a case and said lets roll.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It took a lot of shooting and thanks to an experienced shooter from the 50 cal scene I got that load. Its not like i just poured it in a case and said lets roll. </div></div>

Understood. I observed similar results working on a load for my rifle, but I only got to 226gr and ran out of powder and bullets.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMI brass
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">231.6gr of H-50bmg</span></span>
CCI primers
Hornady 750gr Amax

</div></div>

Wow, both of my Windrunner and Barrett M99 top around 226-227 grains of H50BMG. Bolts get sticky. With 223 grains of powders, both my rifles run around 2560 fps. Both have 29" barrel. </div></div>

AZ,
Please talk to us about the "lot of case prep as well". I am going to work on some 750 AMAX's in the near future and will take all the pointers I can get.

I will uniform all of the primer pockets, uniform and debur the flash holes, trim the case to length, this particular load is neck turned, debur the case mouth, then i weigh all of the cases. I will weigh the primers and bullets as well. I also clean the cases very well and tumble them. then i will load the components and reweigh the loaded rounds and see how close they are together

that is the short hand version of my case prep. There is a little more than that but they will be my little secrets, you can learn them after shooting and reloading the 50bmg enough

Thanks AZ,
You describe what I have been doing for 30 years with the other calibers I load for. Thankfully it is not my first rodeo with the 50 either. I thought you might have something useful to share with us all.
Mechanic, Thanks for the link. The thing I don't do is anneal and with new cases, I don't plan to.