• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What BMG for LR ?

Re: What BMG for LR ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What sucks, is I want them both.
Getting tired of shopping.

Time to pull trigger.
Thanks to all.

</div></div>

WE ALL DO!!!Actually I want one of everything. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">But the wife said no to the blonde and redhead!</span></span> </div></div>

LOL. Your wife must have gone to the same school as mine. Didn't like that idea too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What sucks, is I want them both.
Getting tired of shopping.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Time to pull trigger.</span></span>
Thanks to all.

</div></div>

Well, are you going to let us know?

This is why all of us Windrunner M96 owners want to get the bolt and barrel in .375CT. You get your cake and eat it two and at the same time use the same premounted scope. Dial and smile.

If you want to know more about the 50 PM me. But most of my experience is with bench guns.

Lt. A

Also RUAG has 338LM AP and Glass penetrators that do the job very very well.

Also there are AP rounds for the 408 and 375 systems btw...They are just not very public
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lt. A

Also RUAG has 338LM AP and Glass penetrators that do the job very very well.

Also there are AP rounds for the 408 and 375 systems btw...They are just not very public
smile.gif

</div></div>

Don't suppose that we, mortals can get our hands on some do we? LOL. I think it will have a strong impact on the choice selection of caliber. I think humping a 50 BMG vs. a 408 CT, or a 375 CT is a no brainer decision, if such a choice is available.

I waiting for my State Arms Titan Bench gun to come back with a new barrel. It weighs 28lbs.,my Ferretw/chromoly match lower is probably 35-38 lbs. The most your going to hump that is from the car to the firing line.

I think a Lawton actioned 375/408 wouldn't be too bad to lug around. What does the Windrunner weigh with optic,bipod ready to run?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I waiting for my State Arms Titan Bench gun to come back with a new barrel. It weighs 28lbs.,my Ferretw/chromoly match lower is probably 35-38 lbs. The most your going to hump that is from the car to the firing line.

I think a Lawton actioned 375/408 wouldn't be too bad to lug around. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">What does the Windrunner weigh with optic,bipod ready to run? </span></span></div></div>

With full magazine and everything, it weighs well over 35lbs.

I think the windrunner is 33lbs with scope. The old M500 I had to hump was 23lbs with scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is heavy enough that I am glad I got the hard EDM hard case with the wheels. </div></div>

A windrunner in 50bmg in CA ..for shame ..for shame...

Yup, when I had my Windrunner I often remarked, "man, I'm so glad I don't have to hump or jump this thing."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is heavy enough that I am glad I got the hard EDM hard case with the wheels. </div></div>

A windrunner in 50bmg in CA ..for shame ..for shame...</div></div>
Never said it was a BMG
smile.gif

It is in .50DTC The Kalifornia legal alternative. Although Bill said he would trade me out a BMG barrel if I moved out of the state

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the windrunner is 33lbs with scope. The old M500 I had to hump was 23lbs with scope. </div></div>

The 408 Cheytac version of the Windrunner weighs about 33lbs. The barrel for the 50 BMG is slightly beefier and the 5 rounds of the 50 BMG does add up quite a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand corrected sir! </div></div>

You are mostly likely right. Still wouldn't want to lug that thing around too often, or too far. LOL.

Ok guys we have a lot of smart guys (and ladies) on here. Lets figure out a rifle weighing 1 LB that shoots flat as a laser,hits like a 50BMG and the bullet self corrects for wind. Will punch through a wall but won't exit a soft target.Rifle is gyro stabilized and self ranging. Any other Ideas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok guys we have a lot of smart guys (and ladies) on here. Lets figure out a rifle weighing 1 LB that shoots flat as a laser,hits like a 50BMG and the bullet self corrects for wind. Will punch through a wall but won't exit a soft target.Rifle is gyro stabilized and self ranging. Any other Ideas?
</div></div>
In flight target elevation and windage correction

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 2,400+ yards,A canadian sniper shot and killed some bastard through a cement wall with a stock Tac-50 50bmg rifle.</div></div>

No wall with that story and it was 2,430 meters, 2,657 yards.</div></div>

You just gotta love when 2 different situations get combined into 1 huh???? Just makes the situations that much more enjoyable to the uneducated!!

You know he did it blindfolded after he caught shrapnel that he pulled out with his teeth right before he was bite by a rattler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is heavy enough that I am glad I got the hard EDM hard case with the wheels. </div></div>

A windrunner in 50bmg in CA ..for shame ..for shame...</div></div>
Never said it was a BMG
smile.gif

It is in .50DTC The Kalifornia legal alternative. Although Bill said he would trade me out a BMG barrel if I moved out of the state </div></div>

Is that the 50BMG that's trimmed a little to get round the ban?

Sounds like a "ackley improved" 50BMG...lol
Quite a few years ago McMillan made there own 50 round "50 fat mac". From what I gather they based it on a 6mm ppc and scaled it up. they took a 20mm cannon case and pushed the shoulder way down the case and necked it for a .510 bullet. It looked cool as hell and the short fat powder column would have been great!

See what you made me do,you made me quit lurking.I also see that site has a .338 takedown,guarnteed .37MOA for $4700, and BMG ammo they cliam 1MOA at 600 for $5.50 per.

Meh, the .416 is like having a .50BMG - they're based on the same case and therefore require the same sized rifle. I still think .338LM is a better overall choice for LR shooting.

Stays Supersonic for about 2500Y and the Bmg is 1700Y ! I love it.
The bigger it is the less recoil is my thought. More fun to shoot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I think I at least have my caliber down. I split it down the middle. Fast n light have always been my style anyway.

I'm in love with the M99 in .416
I also found this....on Gb
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=162382386
Have to learn more...my eyeballs are sore.

What do you think?

</div></div>

89t295k
There is nothing wrong with going that route, if that's what you want. However, I would recommend that you go through the few threads that we have on the 416 vs. others for LR system. The availability of ammo is still limited to just Barrett, not to say there is anything wrong with that. Being practical, I always ask myself, if the 416 is as rosy as it's advertised, why isn't there more shooter using that platform as opposed to the 375 CT? Just saying bro...

The .416 is the new kid on the block. Barrett was (not sure if they still do) having problems with the ammo. And since they are the only ones making it...your kinda stuck. I have no idea who makes dies for it,or LR projo's (there's a few hunting choices). Barrett is listing there brass bullets @ $37.99 for 20 but who knows if you can get them.
The ballistics look great on the 416 but take what your told with a pinch of salt.
They list 400 gr bullet at 3250fps.
I'm shooting 730gr 50cal borerider bullet at 3100fps.
AND everything I need to reload is easily available. Or I can think of 5 company's that I can buy match 50 from...
Just My 2cents

I believe Barrett's new batch of .416 ammo is made by IMI in Israel. They had some issues originally with the first batch and had to drop the velocity down to 3200 fps. McMillan may be offering their Tac-50 in the .416 Barrett caliber in the near future and offer a solid brass monolithic round of their own that runs about 3100 fps out of their rifle. Since the .416 Barrett is a resized .50BMG and uses the same bolt face, the only difference would be the barrel & muzzle brake to switch calibers.

I heard a rumor that Hornady made mention of making an AMAX bullet for the .416 Barrett, but that was passed down second hand. I'd like to find out if that's true or not. More ammo choices are always good.

BTW, the Tac-50 rifle weighs 26 lbs without optics.

Are there dies for the 416?
I found solid brass bullets on GB $140 per 100 sounds good.
I guess it depends on the dies...and load info available.
Wonder if I need a bigger press too?

Off to search more about reloading it..

More than likely you are going to need a press like the Ammo Master, or something that can handle the 50 BMG so that it can accept the 50 BMG shellholder.

$140 for 100 solid projos is an awesome deal.

your going to need a 50 press for it.

Well, if you want the truth look at the reviews from the reloaders. midway had a few review on die sets, 1.5 MOA made some of these guys happy lOl $73 bucks for the set though.
Think I'll wait until the 416 catches on more. The load data is scarce. I do belive it has a lot of potential though.
Go ahead , call me wishy washy.
What do you guys think of the Noreen's quality?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if you want the truth look at the reviews from the reloaders. midway had a few review on die sets, 1.5 MOA made some of these guys happy lOl $73 bucks for the set though.
Think I'll wait until the 416 catches on more. The load data is scarce. I do belive it has a lot of potential though.
Go ahead , call me wishy washy.
What do you guys think of the Noreen's quality? </div></div>

I am glad that you came to that conclusion on your own. Who knows, in about 5 - 10 years, the 416 may become the "caliber" of choice? LOL. There you go. I think you should buy my 50 BMG then. Ha ha!

I should.
Like to buy local though as it sounds like a hassle to do the FFL to FFL thing. Now if my trip to Sun City had not fallen apart this week...

As long as you have an FFL dealer in your area, I can ship it to your FFL once I have a copy of his/her FFL. I have shipped long guns to FFL dealers in other states. Not an issue. I agree with you on the hassle, not to mention I am going to take a major hit with the shipping also. Something to think about.

I went back over to that site and drooled some more.I really likes the .338 take down rifle they make.But,I did get my eye cought by the 20/50 rifle,wow.

Ordered a 338LM 700P...it will be a while b4 I get it so I was looking at picking up a 300wm 5r as well to tide me over.

I'll wait on the big guns for now....something to look forwar to.

Save your cash and buy reloading gear, no need for a 300WM with a .338LM in hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your cash and buy reloading gear, no need for a 300WM with a .338LM in hand. </div></div>

That's true. But if you want to shoot it frequently, it's a little bit cheaper to shoot 300 WM. I shoot my 300 WM quite a way out. Projos are still $26 dollars per 100, as opposed to about $70 per 100 for the 338LM projos. That way I really don't shoot my 338LM for anything less than 1200 yards. That's just me. Besides, you can never have enough rifles I suppose.

Well,it was over 2,400+ yds(give or take a few hundred) and after doing a fact check on the wall issue,it was a different sniper who shot through a side wall of a (metal)shack with a 50bmg.My source for this info is usually very reliable,but I take full responsability for not checking it myself before posting.I'll check my intel with a fine tooth comb from now on.I'd hate to upset the God's on this site again.
I still enjoy my Tac50 and when I get to the point that I can't carry it over hill and dale anymore,I'll join the 50bmg weight whiner's club.The 50's not for everyone,but it's proven itself a great LR cartridge.It's the caliber that all other long range calibers are compared too,so that says alot about it's LR capabilities.Like it or not.
STEVE

Just get yourself one of these and don't come back...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uesuW4BnJs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uesuW4BnJs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Picked up some 210VDLs, Nosler Brass and Primers today.
I'm glad I didn't skip right over to 416/BMG just yet.
Just wanted to go past what my Sako V 270 could do and didn't feel the ol 308 would do that.
Now to pick up a NF, dies, and a fun 300WM . For a buck a round you can't go wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up some 210VDLs, Nosler Brass and Primers today.
I'm glad I didn't skip right over to 416/BMG just yet.
Just wanted to go past what my Sako V 270 could do and didn't feel the ol 308 would do that.
Now to pick up a NF, dies, and a fun 300WM . For a buck a round you can't go wrong.
</div></div>

Now you are talking. Nothing wrong with the 300 WM. I shoot the 208 AMAX as opposed to the 210 VLD just because it's a bit cheaper, at least for now. BTW, for the range that you plan to shoot, the 300 WM will do the trick just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the caliber that all other long range calibers are compared too,so that says alot about it's LR capabilities.Like it or not.
STEVE</div></div>

Please explain how and where you derived that information?
Lets view quick comparison...

50BMG with 750Amax has average transonic range of 1700.
408CT with 419gr M40 solids have average transonic range of 2200m.
375/408 with 350gr M40 solids have average transonic range of 2800m.
So it supersonic distances the 50BMG is nowhere near comparison.

375/408 with 350gr M40 solids at 3100fps MV has 2051ft/lbs at 1800m
408 with 419gr M40 solids at 2850fps MV has 1572ft/lbs at 1800m
50BMG with 750Amax at 2800fps MV has 2500ft/lbs at 1800m

So the 50BMG has little more ft/lbs but you said in comparison to LR shooting to the discussion of HTI is not relevant here.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">after doing a fact check on the wall issue,it was a different sniper who shot through a side wall of a (metal)shack with a 50bmg.My source for this info is usually very reliable,</div></div>

Actually now you are bringing in a completely different BMG shooting scenario than the first 2 you combined LOL. So instead of relying on a "source" for information how about you gain your own information. The 2 scenarios you combined in your first story was of Rob Furlong and Steve Reichert. Robs was the distance record and Steves was 1 mile thru the block wall.

Thanks