• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What brand of lube do you reccomended for bolt lug

Ghostware

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
What brand of lube do you reccomended for bolt lugs and what oil for bolt body? This is for a Remington 700

Re: What brand of lube do you reccomended for bolt lug

I use a little grease. Currently using "Tetra"...but grease is basically grease. I think oil is too thin for that application, personally.

hops 9 to clean. i put a light coating of axle grease or axle dope

lozGr_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s360x240-181194.gif

multi purpose grease, blue tube from walmart. (only if shooting in clean conditions and only on lugs and raceways)

Pro Gold. It is a tube I bought for 1911 slide rails. Works well and I put a dab on the lugs about every range trip.

Molybdenum based dry film lubricant on all load bearing surfaces, light coat of hoppes on bolt body left to sit then wiped dry.

Originally used moly film lube on my m249 action guide rails in Iraq, when we had no CLP available but a crap load of moly lube for humvee door hinges. discovered it works pretty well on almost anything.

works very well on my 1911 rails.

I was using "tetra" but I stopped once i saw that it was actually causing rust. I just got some "brownells action lube plus" but I haven't had it long enough to form an opinion yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mobil 1 full syn grease </div></div>

+1 to this.

If you like, you can also use Shooters Choice Red Gun Grease, no oil on the bolt though.

As long as the grease is a synthetic high pressure, high temp grease you'll be GTG.

Some people may disagree on this, but I have a tube of "Sleek". It's a silicone base lube made for high end paintball guns (I was on a team a few yrs ago). I've been using it for almost a year. It doesn't attract any noticeable amount of dirt while shooting/hunting and keeps the action running smooth. It doesn't get thick either in the cold.

TW-25b grease . I use it on all my guns for rails , actions , etc . For oil I use Mobil-1 5-30W sinthetic , the same I use on my car.

I use lubriplate 130-A since I have it for the M1a anyways.

Red Mobil 1 grease-gun lube.

Lubriplate.

It isn't like the lugs are inaccessible. Any load bearing grease works fine. When it gets dirty, clean and reapply. Don't over think it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KY Warming jelly </div></div>

Nothing but spit!

Mobil 1 axle and bearing grease. Works great for AR bolts also.

Tap magic. Works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tap magic. Works great. </div></div>
The original formula or the newer 50 state compliant?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a little grease. Currently using "Tetra"...but grease is basically grease. I think oil is too thin for that application, personally. </div></div>

Same here.

But don't apply the grease direct. I rub the Tetra grease on my finger until it is clear then apply lightly to the lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: will67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was using "tetra" but I stopped once i saw that it was actually causing rust. </div></div>

Really? Anybody else seen this? What idea what component in the grease could be causing the rust?

Was the metal clean, dry and free from other possible contaminants when you applied the grease?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tap magic. Works great. </div></div>
The original formula or the newer 50 state compliant? </div></div>

Whatever free sample I got from Production Tool. I think the multi metal stuff.

Royal Purple gear lube.

like it was said a few post up don't over think it i use grease sometimes oil sometimes even STP oil treatment i like it a lot thick like honey but not like grease.