• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what caliber do I choose for my action.

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I have a fn spr action (.308 bolt face) sitting in my closet and for the life of me I can't figure out what caliber I should chamber it in. here is my problem I can't find a niche to fill. I have a fast twist 22-250ai for the 75r amax,243 hunting rifle,260 rem., for 139gr lapuas, and a 300 saum for the 30 caliber stuff.

I think I would like to build something for target/ long range hunting (no bigger than a whitetail deer). I know it will be in a mcmillan probably a5 but that's were I stop. I have considered 243ai,6x47,6.5 creedmoor ( I have researched these alittle), should I look at 7mm-08 haven't looked into that much.

feel free with any input as I will not be offended by any suggestions/comments.

thanks scott

Re: what caliber do I choose for my action.

Either 6x47L or good ol 284Win with 162's or 168's.Or you can be the first on the planet to make a 7mmx47L Improved using 180's at 2750 fps.

Steve

Scott-

Either open up the boltface and make it a 7wsm. Or since you have a 260 (no need for a 6.5x47), I'd think about the .243ai.

Good call on the 284 Win. Do you think the x47 case will hold enough powder for 180s at 2750? I have the 22x47 6x47 and 6.5x47 I might complete the set and do a 7 and 30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either 6x47L or good ol 284Win with 162's or 168's.Or you can be the first on the planet to make a 7mmx47L Improved using 180's at 2750 fps.

Steve </div></div>

Don't know Eddybo.If you had it throated so the bottom of the baring surface was above the neck shoulder junction and the barrel was 28 inch you prob would.Any way you look at it,it's gonna shoot good in the wind at LR.

Better complete your collection and try one.haha

Steve

I think everyone should have at least one old school .308Win.

I didn't see that on your list.

I have a 300 saum which does everything a 308 will do just alittle faster and i love it. If I need to I have a 308 barrel for one of my savages If I ever feel inclined to shoot one. Its not that I think it a bad round it obviously is one of the most popular for a reason but I only handload so don't really need one.

I do like the 7mm08ai idea anybody have any info on velocities of the heavy bullets?

Any of the .308 based cartridges; .243, .260, 7-08, .308, .338 Fed, 358 Win, etc., will serve your needs with a minimum of teething pains, depending one what your application is.

For hunting, I'd go with the bigger bores. For slaying paper, I think the .260 does probably the best ballistics job with the case capacity.

I don't go with the whole AI business, it's just an added complication. The basic cartridges do the job OK.

Greg

I don't know. But I think the .308 is marginally underbore with LR bullets, so a smaller bore might be a better answer. The .260 is my choice for ballistic efficiency with the the basic .308 case capacity. Split the difference, I wouldn't look down my nose at the 7-08. They make some really tempting bullets in 7mm lately.

Greg

Before you jump on board a 7mm 08 and think you'll be using those kick ass BC 7mm slugs, consider how LOOONNGG the bullets are. A 7mm 175 SMK is about .250" longer than a .30 168 SMK (The only two I can readily compare). And a 175 is shorter than a 180 berger or JLK. I think you will be hard-pressed to mag feed any of the real good 7mm pills out of a 7mm 08.

Bear in mind, this is a guess--they may work great, but the bullet length only makes one question how well they will work.

what speeds are you guys getting out of the 7mm-08 firing the 162 amax?