• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What caliber do I need?

Danco411

Arclight Precision
Minuteman
I just bought a used pre-accutrigger Savage LA stagger feed in 22-250 for the barrel for a friends rifle. Now I have a nice long action that is lonely. And lonely rifle parts end up becoming new rifles. I shoot mostly .308 and .223 and load for these calibers for both bolt and gas guns. I want something different but can't decide. I shoot paper and mostly steel out to 1K and of course chase Michigan Coyotes and Whitetail. I have both target and hunting configurations in .308 and .223. So what do I need? I was thinking something bigger like 30-06, .300WM or 7mm RM since I already load these calibers for friends. This is an interesting action as it's an earlier model which were all long actions even if it was a short action caliber. So it has a LA bolt and reciever but a SA blind magazine. If I go Mag I'll need to open up the bottom of the reciever to accomodate a Magnum magazine which is not really a problem for me. I also may dump it into a chassis of some kind. Any other SA calibers to consider? .260, 7-08? I thought about maybe getting a Shilen in 22-250 for a long range varminter. I now use a .223 for Coyotes. Our Coyote ranges are sub 300 yards here in Michigan so I'm not sure if I need the extra oomph of the 22-250. Really leaning towards the 7mm RM.

Thoughts?

A 300WM shooting the Berger 185gr Juggernauts is pretty fun. It has no problem reaching out there to 1500 yards.

Not very familiar with the savage series of rifles, but I assume you'll have to stick with the bolt face of the .22-250 (.473")?
30-06 should work. Something a bit more exotic: 6.5x55 swede. Lapua brass is fairly affordable (just slightly more than 308 brass, after 7.62x39 and 308, probably their 3rd cheapest).

I'd be inclined to go with the 300wm if bolt face isn't an issue.

They have short actions if you want to shoot a smaller cartridge... LA deserves a longer cartridge.

.260, 6.5x55, .284, 300WM.. You can have lots of fun with a long action.

7mm is a good call...I am not a big fan of belted magnums personally, so 7WSM would be something to also consider. 7-08 would be fun to and you already have brass you could neck down.

7mm is a good call...I am not a big fan of belted magnums personally, so 7WSM would be something to also consider. 7-08 would be fun to and you already have brass you could neck down.

7-08 is a nice easy conversion and choice

I love my 6.5CM. It replaced both my precision 223 and 308 guns.

If I was thinking LA, I would go 300WM or 7mm, of the calibers you listed. I also have heard belted magnums are tricky. 30-06 is (to me) a hunting rifle caliber. Good, if that's what you want to do. Of any caliber, I would ( and actually just did) "pull the trigger" on a 338 Norma Mag. Good out to at least 1 mile.

If OP is willing to mill out the mag well cutout of his 110 short mag box/long action, he's braver than most.

With a Savage, you're only a 5 minute bolt head swap away from whatever the eff you want the rifle to be, from a 17 Rem up to to a 338 Edge and everything in between.

If he wants a 7RM then he should make a 7RM...but with the OE bolt face I'd begin and end with a 280AI. EDIT TO ADD: I'd personally leave the action as-is and turn it into a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited:
Define what your end goal is, select a bullet that can do it, determine what caliber can get the bullet up to the required speed for the end goal, build in that caliber.

I agree with both Boilerup and Barney above. The original post doesn't really support the need for a magnum unless you plan on shooting whitetails at long range. Of course if you really want a magnum that's what you should get but that's different than needing one. I think something between 6mm and 7mm are good places to be and that would sit squarely in between what you are shooting now (.223 & .308). the 6.5CM or even 6CM, 6XC, .243, .260 etc. If you want a 7mm I second the .280 recommendation, either improved or not.

I would go with a 30-06. you have a 308 so they would be close unless you get into the 208gr loads. you could then stretch it to 1500 or so...

300WM would be my second choice.