• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What can cause inconsistent velocities?

TacticalBoltKnob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Hey, all. I have been having a problem with inconsistent velocities and can't pinpoint what is causing it. Maybe you guys can help.

I shot these three 5-shot groups today, and here are the velocities for each string:

#1 2674, 2635, 2650, 2645, 2609
#2 2679, 2629, 2640, 2640, 2645
#3 2629, 2650, 2656, 2609, 2635

Of course I was seeing some vertical stringing and some errant shots that were not flyers by were off the group by a bit. Average group size was about 1.5" because of the inconsistency of the loads. This has been a .5" or better rifle up until now, and this load has proved most accurate up until now.

Load data: 42.2 grains of IMR 4046, CCI-200 primers, Lapua cases full-length sized to 2.005", 175 SMKs seated to COAL of 2.803" give or take a thousandth or two.

Rifle: Savage 24" 5R heavy contour barrel in .308. Copper cleaned about 100 rounds ago. Only 475 total rounds through the rifle.

I am very meticulous when I reload. No step is skipped or missed. I full length resize. I uniform the primer pockets. I deburr the flash holes if needed. I trim all brass to 2.005" using a Lee case trimmer tool. I deburr the case mouth. I then tumble the brass and check to make sure the inside is clean and free of debris. I then prime using a Lee hand priming tool. I measure out the powder a little low, then trickle to 42.2 grains on a Hornady Lock n' Load 1500 digital scale. I double check about every 5th charge on a Lee beam scale, and they have never differed from each other. I mean, they are both dead on, and I measure on a solid, flat surface, of course. I weigh all cases and group in similar weights, then I seat the 175 SMKs with a Lee bullet seating die. No crimp. Done.

Velocity was measured with a ProChrono Digital on a 63ºF sunny day. Chrono was set up properly with both sensors in the sun.

Here is the thing. I know chronos can be inconsistent, but the velocities were matching up with the point of impact. High velocity shots were impacting high, and vice versa. So I am inclined to think the chrono is fine. A buddy of mine shoots over the same chrono and gets awesome consistency with his loads, like 10 fps or less.

It's pretty irritating because this was a .5" rifle or better at 100 yards, but something happened and now my loads are not very consistent.

So, what can cause these velocity variances besides the obvious stuff like inconsistent powder charges and inconsistent seating depth?

The only thing I can think of is bad primers causing inconsistent ignition or inconsistent neck tension somehow, but I am not sure how much neck tension affects velocity.

What say you all?

Last edited:
What can cause inconsistent velocities?

One of the biggest things that can cause fluctuation in velocity is not holding the rifle the same exact way each and every time.

Not holding the rifle tight up against the shoulder, the same way every time can cause it as well, plus you'll lose velocity if you don't hold it right against your shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks, jwrowland. I had not thought of that. I will pay more attention to that next time I am at the range.

But I am still stumped, as I shoot the same way every time: Tight tuck into the shoulder off the bench, rifle is on sandbags, front and rear. And I am a big guy, so that rifle is not moving much.

Last edited:
I have issues with it I know, especially if I start getting tired towards the end of a match. Lol. Man I hate getting older. Lol

Are you sorting bullets and brass? Inconsistent bullet weight, ogives, and oal can cause what you are seeing.

Are you sorting bullets and brass? Inconsistent bullet weight, ogives, and oal can cause what you are seeing.

I have been sorting brass, but not bullets. The 175 SMKs have been so consistent, I didn't see the need. Perhaps I will have to start.

I have been sorting brass, but not bullets. The 175 SMKs have been so consistent, I didn't see the need. Perhaps I will have to start.

I've seen the same thing in the 175gr SMK. I once weighed an entire box of 500 and every last one was right one the money 175gr.

I've seen the same thing in the 175gr SMK. I once weighed an entire box of 500 and every last one was right one the money 175gr.

What kind of accuracy does your scale have? Bathroom scale ?

Wow, I'm shooting the exact same stuff, 175 smk, lapua brass, cci 200 primers and 44.8 grains of IMR 4064. 18" barrel averaging 2570 fps with no more than 34 fps spread.

Measure the Ogive on your bullets and get a meplate trimmer. I'm surprised they call the 175 SMK a "Match" bullet..

The Ogive will vary by as much as .01..

Try a primer pocket uniformer also.

Last edited:
How much time are you waiting between shots and groups? If as your barrel heats up it can cause velocity changes. Also, make sure you're not "cooking" the round. When you chamber a round into an already hot barrel and them wait a few seconds while you're getting your position right it will heat up the round and cause for velocity spikes.

It could also be as simple as your scale being off a few.

Make sure it's not you first and foremost. 90% of the time it's the shooter.

Do you neck size or FL size and what dies? Inconsistent shoulders, varying powder charge from shabby scale, inconsistent neck tension, check to be sure you have minimal bullet runout on seating depth.....lots of things could affect pressure/ essentially velocity

As I stated in my original post, I am using a Horady Lock N' Load Digital scale which is matching up 100% with a Lee beam scale that I double check every 5th charge with. The problem is not the scale. And I also mentioned in my original post that I am full length resizing using a RCBS full length sizing die.

Also, I am taking my time and not letting the rounds cook. As you can see from the velocity strings I listed, the high velocity shots are often the first in the string, and there is no tendency for increasing velocity as the barrel or rounds (may or may not) heat up while sitting in the chamber.

Also, the rounds are not baking in the sun and are not exposed to varying temps.

Cranedaddy, I know what you mean. The SMKs are great bullets and very accurate, and while the weight is very consistent, I have noticed a considerable difference in length from bullet to bullet. I will often see .005" or more difference in length.

Last edited:
How many loads on the brass? Maybe it's time to anneal the necks, inconsistent neck tension.

With everything you've mentioned, this was my 1st thought as well.

DO you measure to the ogive on every single round to make sure seating depth is consistent?

I've got the EXACT same rifle and I just fired a 5 round string that had an SD of 9.

Min. 2812

Max 2834

Ave 2823

SD 9

ES 22

Via the Magneto speed II

Drop (dope) @ 1,000 yds was 9.6 Mil.

Virgin Lapua brass

43.0 gr of IMR 4064

CCI BR LR primers

175gr SMK

As I said before...you have to check a lot of things. A lot of contributors to aberrant velocity. I run an FX 120i scale, neck size and check case mouths after for neck tension consistency, uniform pockets, and check seating depth to the ogive on every round and when you find the load that shoots.....this is the results I get with 185 juggs, 47.6 gr, seating .090 off
image.jpg

Last edited:
As I said before...you have to check a lot of things. A lot of contributors to aberrant velocity. I run an FX 120i scale, neck size and check case mouths after for neck tension consistency, uniform pockets, and check seating depth to the ogive on every round and when you find the load that shoots.....this is the results I get
View attachment 37157

Damned brother!!!

Nice numbers!

One of the biggest things that can cause fluctuation in velocity is not holding the rifle the same exact way each and every time.

Not holding the rifle tight up against the shoulder, the same way every time can cause it as well, plus you'll lose velocity if you don't hold it right against your shoulder.

this is just not true.

As I said before...you have to check a lot of things. A lot of contributors to aberrant velocity. I run an FX 120i scale, neck size and check case mouths after for neck tension consistency, uniform pockets, and check seating depth to the ogive on every round and when you find the load that shoots.....this is the results I get with 185 juggs, 47.6 gr, seating .090 off
View attachment 37157

D shooter how are you checking neck tension?

With a dial caliper, using the id caliper side. After sizing I will check this and make sure the case mouth id is .305. My variation allowable to me is +.0005- so basically it can be .3045 to .305. If it's looser than that I'll try to run thru the neck die again. If not it goes in the annealing pile. I use a Starrett dial caliper also. You need good quality equip because cheaper crap can vary between .0005 and .001

Last edited:
I agree, the hold has nothing to do with velocity consistencies; if it were it would be so minuscule compared to the other factors. Sure it'll effect your group sizes.

Last edited:
interesting discussion here i think diver is on it by looking at those numbers very low es and sd... Im currently battling the same issue (aren't we all).

For diver: are u neck sizing or FL? if so what dies? seems like u have very high standards in your loads based on not just the components u are using but the application as well. I don't have a force arbor press but am using the coax press to load with. I can definitely feel that some bullets take a little more force to seat and basically what ur saying is from ur study that if using a regular press to seat with u want to feel resistance and use some force to seat the bullet for the best es and sd? i guess there is no way of measuring without the force arbor press... also are u weight sorting bullets and by bearing surface?

Basic physics 101.

by the time the recoil starts the bullet has left the barrel. a loose hold may stop a semi auto from functioning but does not effect velocity because the bullet is gone already. the bullet is leaving a pressurized vessel that pressure is what creates velocity. uncorking the vessel creates recoil. try pushing the gun forward and see if it shoots faster same principal

damn buddy i thought my reloading process was extensive ;) nice work, i am also using the forster coax... i have also noticed that lubing can make for more consistent seating depths just a little bit of moly or dry neck lube helps. right now I'm using the standard rcbs FL die with turned necks and seems the tension isn't near what ur getting with the 334 bushing ill definitely play around with this and see what i can come up with. i also have the lee collet die as well if i can't get what i want between these two dies i might have to get some bushing dies, i see a lot of people use them.

What kind of environment are you shooting in? Im a AZ native and in my experience ive notice a lot of pressure changes with the increase and decrease in our temps here and i have noted a significant change in velocity due to the pressure shift from temp. Just some food for thought.

Great extensive research and explanation of process....I don't have the pressure indicated press but I'm sure by measuring with quality tools I am getting relatively consistent neck tension. As I said previous, I keep it within half a thou and seems to work great when I hit the magic charge weight. And I thought my numbers looked good.....

FL in my case produced smaller necks than the 334 bushing. This is certainly true if I use the two step sizing process. My loaded brass is .3365

Also brass can only hold so much tension. Hardness, bass brand, caliber, neck length and neck thickness all play a roll too.

Btw In my experience the whole " use busing die .001 under your desired results" because the brass will bounce back doesn't hold exactly true --if it is over annealed, then yes-- you made way springy brass :)

Take a fired case -- for kicks say .346 - run a .335 redding bushing over it. My bet is you'll see .333 or .334 not the expected .336

Now take the .334 case and run a.333 bushing over it - some will be .333 but not much smaller as in the above sample.

I think it has to do with how the larger case mouth enters into the bevel in the bushing, Use a two step process and the results seem to be more controllable.

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I only know one other person that takes as much care as you do with neck tension and seating pressure. He wins just about every match he shoots and blows everyone else away with x count.