• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What can I carry on the airplane?

superde

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2003
Bryan, Texas
So after 17 years of matches I’m finally flying to one. I’ve driven up to 15 hours, but 20 is just too far. What can I put in my carryon? I would like to put binos and bipod in backpack, and then match backpack, ammo and bags in suitcase with clothes. Rifle case with rifle, tripod, 3 mags, and TSA locks is 49.6 pounds.

Start here

You can bring optics with you in the cabin if you want.

So after 17 years of matches I’m finally flying to one. I’ve driven up to 15 hours, but 20 is just too far. What can I put in my carryon? I would like to put binos and bipod in backpack, and then match backpack, ammo and bags in suitcase with clothes. Rifle case with rifle, tripod, 3 mags, and TSA locks is 49.6 pounds.
Instead of asking for opinions, which is all you'll get here and will be all over the map from close to accurate to complete bullshit, go do your own homework.

Start at the TSA website, then review the firearm policies of at least 2 or 3 major carriers. You need to abide both with TSA regulations and all policies of whichever airline you choose.

Then you should ask questions, because you'll be doing so from a position of knowledge.

Reactions: Baron23 and Jrb572
Start here

You can bring optics with you in the cabin if you want.

Thanks!

Instead of asking for opinions, which is all you'll get here and will be all over the map from close to accurate to complete bullshit, go do your own homework.

Start at the TSA website, then review the firearm policies of at least 2 or 3 major carriers. You need to abide both with TSA regulations and all policies of whichever airline you choose.

Then you should ask questions, because you'll be doing so from a position of knowledge.

Already booked the flight on SWA, leave in 2 weeks. Just asking if others have gotten any flack trying to take binos or bipods on the plane. I will call them this coming week to make sure I'm good.

Thanks!

Already booked the flight on SWA, leave in 2 weeks. Just asking if others have gotten any flack trying to take binos or bipods on the plane. I will call them this coming week to make sure I'm good.
People bring all kinds of expensive cameras and equipment on board. You just have to remember space is limited. I wouldn’t worry about a tripod. But I’ve brought LRF’s, binos, scopes etc in the plane all the time. But I will admit I’m not always the best source of what is and isn’t allowed for the gen pop. Membership has its privileges. I can get a way with a lot more then you b

Reactions: superde
I know it is not optics, but don’t ever wear a knee brace under your pants you will be in the tsa foot prints for awhile.

Don't call them. Don't ever call to get an opinion. Neither binoculars nor tripods are "firearms related". Just follow their PUBLISHED carry on size restrictions.

Don't be That Guy in line arguing with the gate people because "so and so told me this was ok"

I had the TSA one time at the corpus christi airport get bent out of shape over my Red Tac rear bag. They had no clue what it was and were starting to tell me they were not going to let me fly with it. Told them keep it it a $25 dollar thing I want to go home. They eventually gave it back to me.

I guess my point is do not still be surprised if they question certain things you are trying to bring on.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
I had the TSA one time at the corpus christi airport get bent out of shape over my Red Tac rear bag. They had no clue what it was and were starting to tell me they were not going to let me fly with it. Told them keep it it a $25 dollar thing I want to go home. They eventually gave it back to me.

I guess my point is do not still be surprised if they question certain things you are trying to bring on.

What year SHC? I haven't heard of a Red Tac gear bag in a long time.

I've been pulled aside, molested and swabbed for explosives residue several times.

Apparently I look like one of those right wing extremists or something.

I fly out of Tucson and into Las Vegas several times a year. The TSA in both locations seem very business like, and I've never brought anything onboard that relates to shooting. All of my flight are SWA. Everything that relates to 'Bang" is in checked luggage. No hassles, never had a problem. I tend to use a wheelchair in the terminals, it just makes everything quicker and easier, and of course, I have the medical qualifications, but that has no real relationship to this question.

Greg

Reactions: superde
I fly out of Tucson and into Las Vegas several times a year. The TSA in both locations seem very business like, and I've never brought anything onboard that relates to shooting. All of my flight are SWA. Everything that relates to 'Bang" is in checked luggage. No hassles, never had a problem. I tend to use a wheelchair in the terminals, it just makes everything quicker and easier, and of course, I have the medical qualifications, but that has no real relationship to this question.

Greg
Man if I had a dollar for every person that needed one getting on the plane and not getting off I’d be a billionaire. Seriously I’ve performed more miracles than Jesus at 38000 feet.

• Haha
Reactions: Basher
I did not mean to imply that I don't need a wheelchair; I just don't need it all the time.

For me, the Commercial Aviation issue is the hurry up and wait aspect. I tend to get oxygen depleted rather quickly when I need to hustle around airports and such. In more normal surroundings, I breath from VA provided O2 flasks.

When you see the electric scooter brigade at Wallyworld, I could easily be among them; about ten minutes on my feet is about my limit these days. I don't talk about it normally, but we're on the subject. So for me, a wheelchair in a terminal is not a luxury, it's a necessity. There are valid reasons why I am 100% VA Service Connected. We already own a hoveround for my Wife, and I may be looking at one soon for myself, They ain't cheap (hers was in excess of $2k), and fitting a pair of them inside the van leaves little room for rear passengers and shopping. They have to be disassembled before I can manage lifting them in and out. A convenience, they are; a labor savings, they are not. Loading or unloading a pair would take me somewhere in excess of ten minutes.

It would actually be easier for me to get on the plane than off by myself, due to Jetway slopes, etc. We appreciate the folks who help us and tend to tip larger than most. Rather than a dollar, you'd more likely be getting a ten from each of the two of us, each way. We earmark $80 for that each time we fly.

I normally use the smaller O2 Flasks the VA provides me, but they're prohibited in the cabin, so there's really no point in bringing them into the terminal; they stay in the van. I can get by without the O2, if I take it real easy, just. I was having a COPD event this past Sunday night coming back at 1AM from Las Vegas, and damned near suffocated at 38000, but I didn't want to cause a commotion, so I kept it all to myself.

The O2 is not a normal or permanent (we hope) thing; it's just for while I'm recovering from lung injury due to a bad Pneumonia back in April. I'm scheduled to come off it in November. Right now, mostly, I only need to use it for sleeping, but some days are a beach.

Greg

Last edited:
I did not mean to imply that I don't need a wheelchair; I just don't need it all the time.

For me, the Commercial Aviation issue is the hurry up and wait aspect. I tend to get oxygen depleted rather quickly when I need to hustle around airports and such. In more normal surroundings, I can use the smaller oxygen flasks the VA provides me, but that stuff isn't allowed in the cabin.

When you see the electric scooter brigade at Wallyworld, I could easily be among them; about ten minutes on my feet is about my limit these days. I don't tak about it normally, but we're on the subject. So for me, a wheelchair in a terminal is not a luxury, it's a necessity. There are valid reasons why I am 100% VA Service Connected. We already own a hoveround for my Wife, and I may be looking at one soon for myself, They ain't cheap (hers was in excess of $2k), and fitting a pair of them inside the van leaves little room for rear passengers and shopping. They have to be disassembled before I can manage lifting them in and out. A convenience, they are; a labor savings, they are not. Loading or unloading a pair would take somewhere in excess of ten minutes.

It would actually be easier for me to get on the plane than off by myself, due to Jetway slopes, etc. We appreciate the folks who help us and tend to tip larger than most. Rather than a dolllar, you'd more likely be getting a ten from each of the two of us, each way.

Greg
I know. I was making a comment in general. I once did a flight from NY to Palm Beach. 35 wheelchairs going on only 5 coming off. Saint TacticalDillhole has a nice ring.

I print the airline rules as well as the TSA rules.
Once, in Minot, ND, the station manager was wrong and I had the printed rules to prove it. He still wasn't happy because he is that sorta dipshit.

Though my trip from Austin to Phoenix and back was fairly uneventful, I probably won't do it again. It's a lot of crap to deal with, and when I got back to Austin my gun case was open. I pulled it off of the oversized baggage belt (no TSA around), and all the latches were open on my Pelican case. The case was open about 1" (I may need to get 4 more masterlocks with shorter hasps) and I was lucky my bolt didn't fall out as it was sitting precariously close to the opening. Everything ended up being ok, but it's not a good feeling.

Pelican cases. Zip ties and a lock, with spare zip ties inside for use after any inspections. Good heavy zip ties will keep the case shut without the latches. Pay the checked baggage fees and be done. Don't use a TSA lock, just deal with going down and opening it for them if needed. TSA locks are a joke, as anyone that's ever bought one has a key. You are better off with no lock than a TSA lock.

Pelican cases. Zip ties and a lock, with spare zip ties inside for use after any inspections. Good heavy zip ties will keep the case shut without the latches. Pay the checked baggage fees and be done. Don't use a TSA lock, just deal with going down and opening it for them if needed. TSA locks are a joke, as anyone that's ever bought one has a key. You are better off with no lock than a TSA lock.
That’s actually not true but you do what you do. TSA locks are unique like any other lock but TSA retains a master key to open any of them. Zip ties are not approved as primary “locks”.

I carry condition 1.

You’re not flying 121 are you? If so, may god have mercy on your soul lol
It’s really a race to the bottom with the airlines, but check all guns and ammo, outside of that you can bring binos, tripod, etc. That said TSA is dumb as a bag of rocks, so there’s always that wild card.

TSA locks vs normal locks, I don’t think anyone cares, but you do sign the card stating it’s a LOCKED case, to me that means combo/key/fingerprint/etc, not a zip tie, tape, string

That’s actually not true but you do what you do. TSA locks are unique like any other lock but TSA retains a master key to open any of them. Zip ties are not approved as primary “locks”.

Zip ties keep your case closed tight, after they pop all your latches open. I never said to not use a lock in combination.

TSA locks are hot garbage. I've opened several with the same key. You can buy the master keys on eBay for $7.
That's not too say that most locks aren't also garbage. A $20 set of rakes will get you into most any hardware store lock in a few seconds.
It just so happens that the TSA keys are popular enough any thieves targeting luggage are carrying them.

I print the airline rules as well as the TSA rules.
Once, in Minot, ND, the station manager was wrong and I had the printed rules to prove it. He still wasn't happy because he is that sorta dipshit.

Yeah, they will look at the rules with their glazed eyes and keep saying the same stupid shit. It’s like trying to argue with a goat.

Zip ties keep your case closed tight, after they pop all your latches open. I never said to not use a lock in combination.

TSA locks are hot garbage. I've opened several with the same key. You can buy the master keys on eBay for $7.
That's not too say that most locks aren't also garbage. A $20 set of rakes will get you into most any hardware store lock in a few seconds.
It just so happens that the TSA keys are popular enough any thieves targeting luggage are carrying them.

It’s just to keep it legally “locked” from baggage check to baggage check, if someone in the sterile side of the airport is going to risk their life to steal, and worse have on them in the sterile area, your gun, I don’t think any small lock is going to matter.

After they “inspect” it I’m a fan of tossing some zip ties on, as watching them load a plane looks more like a soccer game, more to keep the case intact and shut vs any security reason.