• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What can I expect from this combo?

mattri

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2005
denver
Savage 93FV .22WMR with a 6-24 mildot scope shooting Hornady 30grn Vmax at 200 yards off of bags. I'll have about 67ft/lbs of energy and be 16.5 in low if zeroed at 100 yards. I know this is an impossible question to nail perfectly, and every gun prefers a different load but what do you think I can reasonable expect for group sizes?

Re: What can I expect from this combo?

I would expect 2 to 3 inches. My 93FV pre accutrigger shoots right @ MOA @ 100 with the hornady V-max

Use this to get really close to the dial up or hold over.

I have a card made up using 2200 fps @ the muzzle that says @ 200 with 100 sight in drop is 15.8" or 7.5 MOA dial up. I haven't shot it yet @ paper for bullseye but I have shot @ 6" steel plate and hit it every time.

Thanks for the reply. I would really like to see 2" at 200 yards. People say they're getting it with the .17hmr but I haven't seen it done. Would prefer to stay with the .22WMR over the .17 for the heavier bullet.

the same repsonses you got on your other post 5 topics down.....

plus if it doesn't have an accutrigger in it, get a rifle basix. your groups will shrink with an adjustable.

Thanks Top Predator, hoping to hear more from those who own one of these.

nicest thing about it is that you have a good squirrel gun, and if something with more "girth" come out, you have enough "oompah" to knock it down effectively at 100 to 150 yards.

i use it for my walking around rifle also, and for chucks under 150 yards. when a 22lr is too small and a or .223 is too big, the wmr fits the bill, seemingly without as much wind drift as the 22lr or 17hmr.

with a 50 yard zero the 30 gr hornady is dropping 1" at 100, 19.5" at 200. just over 2200fps

with a 50 yard zero the 40 gr cci fmj dropped 2" at 100 and 23.5" at 200. just over 1910fps

wieghing them out helps too. the cci 40 fmj works third best out of my marlin without causing too much meat damage (on turkey).

i tried the 40 cci gamepoints (which are based on a pointed soft point center fire bullet)out of mine, but didn't like the groups at 100.

the winchester supremes in the black box are execellent, but a bit too explosive on the turkeys, and penetration is a 50/50 to the vitals, would rather the penetration of the fmj.

the remington 33 gr. vmax sucked out of it. i'm sure it's not because of the vmax, but the "green box" it came in.

once again, that's through a marlin, your results in the savage will probably differ, and for the better.

Thanks for the information. I just missed out on a Marlin for sale locally- always another out there.