• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What Case For Shipping A Pistol

I just need to know if I need to buy a Pelican case or something else. I don't want anything to happen to my pistol and have never shipped anything to a gunsmith before so I really don't know what I need. Would someone please tell me something?

I would say just about any case that will hold the gun secure so it cant bounce around. Then box it. A manufacturer ships guns in a simple cardboard box.

Shipping a pistol in a case is a good way to make sure it doesn't make it.

Make it look as generic as possible. Abbreviate the name of the company if it has "gun" or "firearm" in the name.

- abbreviate the name of the company your sending it to. So if it's Bill's Gun Shop - BGS or the name of the guy Bill Smith

- if usps or ups or fedex asks what contents are you casually just say " just some parts" none of their biz anyway.

- Since your sending it to a smith for work. My understanding is you can mail it. I'd just include a note inside stating this firearm is going to a smith for repair.

- if you do mention the contents...be prepared to go through the red tape while everyone braces themselves and calls their supervisors...all the way up the chain until you find the guy who will say exactly what we've told you here. It's fine.

- if you wrap it good in bubble wrap and stuff some newspaper in the box it'll be just fine. Make sure there is a good 2-3" of space all around it. I've shipped a lot of stuff...never had a problem.

mine in bold
- abbreviate the name of the company your sending it to. So if it's Bill's Gun Shop - BGS or the name of the guy Bill Smith

A good idea. For an FFL shipping a gun to another FFL they sort of insisted on that. BTDT :eek:

- if usps or ups or fedex asks what contents are you casually just say " just some parts" none of their biz anyway.

- Since your sending it to a smith for work. My understanding is you can mail it. I'd just include a note inside stating this firearm is going to a smith for repair.
For a non-licensee is shipping a handgun to a licensee then it has to go by common carrier per ATF (Fed-Ex/UPS). Fed-Ex/UPS rules mandate overnight shipping on handguns.
For a licensee returning a handgun to a non-licensee it has to go by common carrier as well.

For a licensee shipping to another licensee it can USPS with a form that they have available. I do this all the time.

- if you do mention the contents...be prepared to go through the red tape while everyone braces themselves and calls their supervisors...all the way up the chain until you find the guy who will say exactly what we've told you here. It's fine.

- if you wrap it good in bubble wrap and stuff some newspaper in the box it'll be just fine. Make sure there is a good 2-3" of space all around it. I've shipped a lot of stuff...never had a problem.

Yes, if properly packed a case pretty much just adds weight to an already overpriced shipment. Shipping in a box that is over sized allows for plenty of padding and somewhat hides the fact that this might be a handgun.

It is legal for any gun owner to ship his gun by common carrier to a licensed FFL holder for the purpose of repair or alteration.

guess common carrier isn't usps.

Last edited:
I just assumed I needed one of those fancy Pelican cases. I will just put it back in the original box it came it and put that inside a larger less obvious box. Thanks for the help.

I remember reading about filling half a box with expandable foam, covering the foam with a liner, putting in the gun, and filling the rest of the box with foam. It sounded like a great idea to me. It may be worth it to google this concept and see if you can get more details on what they used for a liner and exactly how the gun was positioned. IIRC it sounded like you could pull the top half right off. I would certainly tell the party on the receiving end what was going on, however, so they weren't confused upon receipt.