• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What Combat/Drop Leg holster is your favorite?

RayGun1928

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Looking at all the issue and non-issue holsters there are can be a bit confusing. I've looked at Specopsbrand, Eagle, Safariland, Blackhawk!, London Bridge, and several others. I'd like to hear comments, complaints, compliments, etc. on what styles those on this forum have tried and like to assist me in narrowing it down. I'll be carrying a large frame automatic. Thanks in advance.

Re: What Combat/Drop Leg holster is your favorite?

I realy like the blackhawk serpa, its realy fast and smooth. It light, will not asorb moisture and it was easy for me to get use to.

Safariland 6004

Safariland is what all others are judged by. They are reliable and rocks/gravel won't lock your weapon in the holster.

If you use a weaponlight model make sure you pop out the lens cover. It will allow it to drain easier and let brass fall out the bottom instead of preventing the weapon from holstering.

Serpa's are fine for garrison work, but if you are going to be crawling in the shit, don't trust them. I run my Taser in one, but only because I am not going to die if I can't draw it.

The 6004 type is the only way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6004 type is the only way to go. </div></div>

Agreed, if you have to have a drop leg holster, though I prefer none. But that wasn't really the question. Bladetech makes one that drops some, it's kind of in between a belt and a leg holster. I've never used one, but it looks interesting.

I wore the Blackhawk Serpa for all of 2007 and loved it. It is the only one i use when i go in to country now.

I can't stand having stuff strapped to my legs. It's a good way to smash gear and/or lose it. How one can effectively carry a rifle, carry a MG, sling a rifle, run, move, crawl, take cover, go prone, or shoot a rifle in real life with all that crap strapped to one's thighs is beyond me. But, then, what do I know? It sure looks macho in the movies, though.

6004 Lightfighter style is "Very Nice"!

I have grown fond of the Blackhawk Serpa!!

Blackhawk dropleg made for weapon & light. I have used glock 35 with surefire and now run Sig 226 w rail, with Surefire x-300. Retention is good. Shake and bake is good. Wish it was even bigger so it would hold a 1911 with surefire's M-117.. I can't find any holster big enough to hold that light. SmokeRolls

Ive used both the 6004 and serpa, I like both equally, I'd say try both of them and see which you prefer. Btw for both drop leg holsters remove the strap nearest to your crotch and adjust the holster higher, it will make it more stable.

+1 <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6004 type is the only way to go. </div></div>

Safariland drop holster worked great for me. Any holster you use make sure you have a Lanyard. A sidearm isn't worth much if it is not with you which has happened both in sniper school and in Afghanistan (not by me but mine was dragged behind me a few times). The blackhawk lanyard worked good for me do not go cheap and buy a piece of shit lanyard or try to use 550 cord, you will regret it. Safariland also has a military sales division which will give Mil or LE discounts.

I use both the serpa and the 6004. I have heard the stories about gravel locking up a serpa and I do believe it is possible...although it has never happened to mine. I only wear the serpa for competition and I only lose points not blood if it gets locked up.

I have used the 6004 for a much longer time and have total confidence in the system. If you run a light on your pistol then this is the holster you want as the serpa is very limited.

What I have done is hybrid the two together. I took the serpa holster off and bolted on my 6004. The Blackhawk uses two hangar straps as opposed to the 6004 I have which uses only one. It seems to carry much better and doesn't drag my belt down. Also it is very easy to take off without a lot of drama.

So that's my take...serpa thigh rig with 6004 holster.

--KJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Safariland is what all others are judged by. They are reliable and rocks/gravel won't lock your weapon in the holster.</div></div>

I've had the 6280 I was issued jam due to dirt in the locking mechanism and have seen others get things caught in them that locked it up until the object was pulled out. One out of five issued in my department has been replaced due to the locking mechanism breaking.

What are you guys doing to them?

I have been running an ALS since they came out for the G21, and my 6004 has gone through more than a couple users before it was issued to me. I had to clean it up a bit to get the hood as smooth as my personal holster, but proper PM and practice keep them running.

6004 rigged high with a copenhagen can taped under the top to clear bodyarmor and to aid in draw. I prefer a belt rig over a dropleg though. Bladetech as long as im not running around the woods or in a place where retention is an issue. I.E. crowded places. Sometimes a Bladetech "concealed" if printing is not an issue. Otherwise leather. Ive heard rumors of issues with guys in real situations with adrenaline running using glocks shooting themselves on a draw using a serpa. cant confirm it but im sure proper time and training could help remedy it. I carry a Glock 19 and would rather not worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you guys doing to them?</div></div>

Nothing more than carrying them on regular patrol in a city. The 6004's suffer more from the locking mechanism breaking than the 6280's. Mine never broke, but every time I had to fight a suspect I would reach down and find the hood open and a few times the gun had started to come out of the holster. Fortunately none of the suspects ever tried to go for the gun. Replaced it with a Blade Tech duty holster when I got enough time in to carry my own gun.

Safariland is the standard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilosierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing more than carrying them on regular patrol in a city. The 6004's suffer more from the locking mechanism breaking than the 6280's. Mine never broke, but every time I had to fight a suspect I would reach down and find the hood open and a few times the gun had started to come out of the holster. Fortunately none of the suspects ever tried to go for the gun. Replaced it with a Blade Tech duty holster when I got enough time in to carry my own gun. </div></div>

The 6360 (ALS) is what I carry on patrol now. It's been through many a fight and the ALS fixes the whole retention issue since the hood can be unlocked but the pistol remains secure. The hood guard also prevents a forward grab which is the real failing of the hood system. The bad guys have trained to be able to defeat them.

The 6004 is the thigh rig I use for entry where retention isn't as much of an issue. A vertical buttstroke is a quick cure for an attempted gun grab.

BE VERY CAREFUL with the Bladetech holsters. When we initially started shopping for a replacement for the 6004 the Bladetech WRS holsters were authorized. I have seen a TON of issues with them ranging from cracking to one that actually fell off an officers duty belt during active shooter training. The drop shank came unscrewed from the body of the holster and it went skittering across the floor as we rounded a corner. If you use the Bladetech locktite the screws and check if often.

I trust Safariland because I was litterally picked up and thrown to the ground by a 250lb gorilla attempting to remove my weapon from the holster. He was unable to get it loose, but I was able to break him free then draw and fire on him. Luckily it was only training, and these were Simmunition pistols (which was actually smaller than the G21 the holster was designed for) but I was amazed that it took that kind of punishment and was still able to draw fast and on command. That was a 070 SSIII and I loved that holster. If they made it in a tac-light configuration I would still be carrying it. I was able to routinely execute smoking fast draws from it even though it was triple retention.

I have safariland and serpa, if you can avoid a drop leg than do so

For duty, Serpa, but never on the leg, mounted on vest instead

For personal use, Serpa, on the leg

In both cases, I put moleskin on the edges to keep it from making a lot on noise when bumping into things.

Believe me, I don't want a drop leg. I don't even like the idea. But with the new armor and Molle system, gone are the days of an ALICE belt and the pistol hanging at your hip. I would much prefer something that placed the holster where the top of the holster was at hip level, or slightly below. I've seen several holsters that seemed a bit of a mix, with a tie down strap for the leg. But that seemed more of a way of keeping the bottom of the holster from flopping around, and keeping it down on drawing.

My overall idea was to draw from everyone's experience on here, and see what the best holster was, then perhaps try to adjust it as high as possible (as suggested), or find one that I hadn't seen yet that fit the bill. Sounds like the 6360 is one of the most preferred, and most reliable. With the Blackhawn! Serpa coming in second. Both are interesting holsters, but I'm not seeing how they can be employed in a field situation with my armor.

I was for sure thinking of trying out several, but didn't want to just willy nilly purchase a bunch of holsters. And I figured that our local IPSC range would be a good place to start.

What about debris? I've never liked the idea of a flap. And on the old M9 holsters used to just take it off.

Also, no one is recommending something along the lines of these:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Special-Operations-Holster,792,34.htm

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=52&cat=54&page=1

I'm guessing these are just junk?

They're not junk - but they lack one feature of the 6004 and similar holsters, and the Serpa, which is the ability to reholster and quickly secure the pistol using only one hand.

I don't like low-hanging pistols. I use a 6004 with only one leg strap, and with the support strap cut as short as possible so that the pistol is up as high as it can be, and still have the leg strap go around my thigh.

So, the 6004, 6360 and Serpa are in the running. As for running over uneven ground???? Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trailmudder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6004 type is the only way to go. </div></div> </div></div>

+2

6360 mounted as high as you can.

As Lindy mentioned, you can ditch the top thigh strap and choke up on the hanger until it just clears your armor.

How high you can run it is going to depend on how your rig is configured, if you are running side plates or any other equipment mounted on the sides.

Running with a thigh rig sucks. No other way to put it, but setting it up so it rides high will help.

I ran a 6004 (high on the leg with only the bottom strap in use) in drop leg configuration for a couple years. About 2 years ago I switched to a 6365 with UBL belt attachment (ALS w/ SLS hood for Glock 19 w/ X300) and never looked back. Getting my pistol off my thigh is so much more comfortable. The orientation of the gun and your draw stroke don't change the way they do with the drop leg if you're seated or in a deep crouch. The UBL rides low enough that it doesn't cause problems while worn with our overly large "heavy vests" from Second Chance.
If you have the option avoid the drop leg and check out the UBL.

the 6004 is my choice.i run it with my kimber with mx6...love it!!

The old QSM holster....Cant find 'em anymore!
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ray Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, no one is recommending something along the lines of these:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Special-Operations-Holster,792,34.htm

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=52&cat=54&page=1

I'm guessing these are just junk? </div></div>

I had the same thoughts, so I figured for $30 bucks this one would be worth a try. [email:http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA027-33.html]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA027-33.html[/email] I didn't have too high of hopes considering the price. This model is adjustable, so it can fit different handguns. It also has a thumb break, which to me is a must (so you can unstrap and draw at the same time). Also, after you get it adjusted for your specific weapon, you can holster/unholster one handed. Durability is my only issue with this particular brand. It is holding up well, except for some of the stiching. Could be it's due to being a cheaper brand?

<span style="font-weight: bold">If anyone has experience with the duribility of the nylon type drop holsters, maybe you could suggest a better brand. </span>

Not real crazy about drop platforms as they tend to tug at your pants quite a bit and no matter how tight you get the straps, they still flop around some. If a handgun is my primary weapon, I want it on my hip. If it is my secondary weapon, drop leg may be the best choice with most molle gear/body armor.

I don't like the serpa realese but thats just personal preference. On or off duty, I have always preferred thumb break. Certainly do not like the flap style holsters.

Again, If anyone has personal experience with the durability of the nylon type, please share.

You said you're wearing a MOLLE vest, so mount the holster on your vest and forget about the thigh rig. Safariland and Blackhawk both make MOLLE adapters for their holsters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoshAston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You said you're wearing a MOLLE vest, so mount the holster on your vest and forget about the thigh rig. Safariland and Blackhawk both make MOLLE adapters for their holsters. </div></div>

+ 1 000 000

I can for some ops, but what do I do when we do a direct action and I carry six 7.62 double mag pouches, a 3 mag pistol pouch, radio, compass, first aid, etc. etc? I like to have all the ammo out front, and I'm only a large in armor.
laugh.gif

As with many here, I like the safariland. Wear it up high on the
leg/thigh, just low enough to clear the body armor. Stay away from the charlie sheen around the knee look. Only thing I dont like about the kydex holsters is the they are noisy if they scrap against a wall.

They may be a little old school, but I also used a eagle low ride for years. Worked and wore great. FWIW

If i was riding around in a vehicle a lot, oh, say a hummer, I would probably stay away from a low ride and go with a chest rig.Once again, FWIW.

Safariland 6004 or 6005. I wouldn't mount it on my vest. I like the idea of having my pistol with me all the time even without the vest.

The 6004 is the way to go. To get it to the proper height (high as possible) use a dremel tool and cut an extra slot in between the upper and lower. This will allow you to get the holster higher. Also wrap it in white cloth tape so that you can paint it with out all the paint rubbing off in the field.

6004 in a HSGI Universal Drop Platform. The HSGI UDP rides really nice especially when running, climbing etc... I have been using one for about 3 years and love it.

Like Lindy said you want it to ride as high as possible, the UDP has an option for a fast release Fast-Ex buckle between the holster and the pistol belt, when I purchased mine this was standard and I removed them so I could hike the holster up high.

The rule of thumb for drop holsters is you should never have to dip a should and reach for your pistol when drawing.

and what is the use of this drop holster?

just for shits and giggles? some sort of duty?

You can also consider putting the holster on the armor itself in a serpa. They have a molle adapter.

If it's not a primary weapon then it's all good. mount it in a cross draw position on the left side or in a traditional manner on the right side, which would be just slightly higher than if on your hip.

Sorry for not answering for a bit. Busy.

Patrols mostly, building clearing. But on foot, to answer your question Mother. I'm not interested in mounting it on my armor, for the reasons most of cited in this thread.

I went with an SAS MkIII from Eagle. I had to choose something, and I've come to like it. I modified it to mount it higher, so it's not quite on my hip/belt area, but not on my thigh. Wears fine when on the run, grip is right at my hand when my arm is at reast. No shoulder dip to draw, no excessive arm bend to draw.

Thanks for the information on all of your experiences with various brands gentlemen.