• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What did John Wayne????

Re: What did John Wayne????

Outstanding clip. John Wayne was a great American. There are no video's that I can find but he did not leave the boys out.

John Wayne
A great American, John Wayne, passed away many years ago. One of his last public appearances was at a dinner. He was riddled with cancer and knew he was close to death. The purpose of the dinner was to benefit a land purchase for a Scout Reservation called John Wayne Outpost Camp.

At this dinner, Wayne recited the Scout Law. Then he did something unusual. He said the twelve points of the Scout Law are "nice words". "Trouble is" he continued, "we learn them so young we sometimes don't get all the understanding that goes with them. I take care of that in my family. As each boy reaches Scout age, I make sure he learns the Scout Law. Then I break it down for him, with a few things I have picked up in more than half a century since I learned it."

Then Wayne proceeded to explain the importance of the Scout Law, breaking it down for the guests at the dinner; much like he would have for his grandson.

TRUSTWORTHY
The badge of honesty. Having it lets you look at any man in the eye. Lacking it, he won't look back. Keep this one at the top of your list.
LOYAL
The very word is life itself; for without loyalty we have no love of person or country
HELPFUL
Part sharing, part caring. By helping each other, we help ourselves; not to mention mankind. Be always full of help -- the dying man's last words.
FRIENDLY
Brotherhood is part of that word. You can take it in a lot of directions - and do - but make sure and start with brotherhood.
COURTEOUS
Allow each person his human dignity; which means a lot more than saying, "Yes, ma'am" and "Thank you, sir." It reflects an attitude that later in life you wish you had honored more... earlier in life. Save yourself that problem. Do it now.
KIND
This one word would stop wars and erase hatreds. But it's like your bicycle, it's just no good unless you get out and use it.
OBEDIENT
Starts at home. Practice it in your family. Enlarge it in your friends. Share it with humanity.
CHEERFUL
Anyone can put on a happy face when the going is good. The secret is to wear it as a mask for your problems. It might surprise you how many others do the same thing.
THRIFTY
Means a lot more than putting pennies away; and it is the opposite of cheap. Common sense covers it just about as well as anything.
BRAVE
You don't have to fight to be brave. Millions of good, fine, decent folks show more bravery than heavyweight champs just by getting out of bed every morning, going out to do a good day's work, and living the best life they know how against the law of odds. Keep the word handy every day of your life.
CLEAN
Soap and water helps a lot on the outside. But it is the inside that counts, and don't ever forget it.
REVERENT
Believe in anything that you want to believe in, but keep God at the top of it. With Him, life can be a beautiful experience. Without Him, you are just biding time.

John Wayne then thanked those at the dinner for putting his name on the outpost camp and said, "I would rather see it here than on all the theater marquees the world over."

Cheers,

Doc

Mike, how exactly does one go about "bronzing" a video? That one deserves it.

And Doc, them're pow'rful words. And worthy of shouting from the rooftops.

Thanks to you both.

Amen. The Duke nailed it. I just wish there were icons in the public in this day-in-age with character like that. Instead ... well, you know.

God Bless The Duke.

Thanks for sharing. I was just ranting the other day to my little lady about how there seems to be an imbalance of gender these days. Today we have far too many teenage boys growing up on shows like MTV and the Hills. But fuck all that, tonight I'm watching Big Jake.

Those old dirty westerns. All they ever did was produce guys like John Wayne, Roy Rogers. Lone Ranger-No sex-no drugs-no super bad language-Why can't we have some more of them today?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hayboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those old dirty westerns. All they ever did was produce guys like John Wayne, Roy Rogers. Lone Ranger-No sex-no drugs-no super bad language-Why can't we have some more of them today? </div></div>

Because the prissy emo girly men are breeding like rabbits. Heaven help you if you don't agree with their open minded opinions less they start ranting and screeching like a banshee with a bad case of hemorrhoids.

Flyingbullseye

I'd rather quote Jimmy Stewart or Eddie Albert. Men who did more than just talk the talk.

Sad that real heroes are forgotten and Faux heroes are held up to our kids.

I have to admit, I always thought he had avoided the draft on account of being a celebrity and did moral tours instead. This puts a whole new light on it for me.

Thanks for the info and glad I was wrong.

Way back in the 60's in a suburb of LA called Orange County, there was a small house behind my granny's. This really nice old lady lived there. One day she was outside in back, adn this kid was climbing the fence to look. A big man was in the backyard with her. I ran inside yelling at everyone who would listen that John Wayne was next door. No one said jack except my granny. She says,"No, that's Mrs. Morrison and her son Marion." Now even though I was a little crumb snatching miscreant, I knew John Wayne when I saw him, and no way granny was gonna tell me different.
wink.gif

Switch, with all due respect.
Damn, didn't think you were that old.
I remember going to one of his sets in the 70's
Somwhere between Cody and Royale Gorge.
Tracks from camera trains were still visible.
We road the Royal Gorge train also.
One way in covered car, the other open with coal soot.

grin.gif
Hmmmm, 1964 kinda was a long time ago, wasn't it?
I was the kid watching the news hoping to see his uncle Johnny in Viet Nam back then. I was the little bastard starting fires in garbage cans and throwing M80's down the shitters because mom was kicking my ass on a daily basis and dad was every other weekend, but man, knowing John Wayne's mom lived behind granny was cool shit way back then. Hangin out with the likes of John Maurer and Mike Ness drinking shitty beers in back alleys in the late 70's and early 80's was kinda cool too before I got born again hard

Ya only got me by two.
It was a long time ago by others thinking.
I didn't have an Uncle Johnny.
One Gramp was at the Bulge, while the other was in the PA woods, cutting timber.
Dads older Bro was in Korea.
Younger in Spain and Germany.
Dad spent his time in KY. between the two.

Always enjoy your cooking threads.
Thanks.

Breit isnt known for giving the rest of the story so lets review his revivionist spin. The main issues for me are patriotism and sacrifice.

Lets look at the claims that are used to justify his not serving when damn near everyone did.

Age- many 34 year olds died over Germany, in the sands of North Africa, the surf off Pacific atolls.

Injuries- non starter as he never stepped forward to be evaluated. To my mind if there were injuries that limited his ability to serve, as a Patriot he would have VOLUNTEERED and been tested. Ronald Reagan was accepted for limited service due to physical limitations and restricted to Stateside duty and he continued to make movies.

Kids- again this was WWII, not a limited controversial war. Many fathers of multiple kids died for our Nation. There were no blanket deferments like the student deferments Cheney and Nugent took advantage of.

Career- Marion's movie career was just starting to take off. So so Ronald's. So was a true war hero's movie career- Eddie Albert's who was older than marion as well! Another man I hold head and shoulders above the Duke, Jimmy Stewart was both older and had his career just blossoming in '41, fought in the skies over Germany as a Bomber pilot.

Now a cynical man might say Marion saw an opportunity to make money as so many stars joined up and were shipped overseas.

The Duke seems more self centered capitalist than Patriot.

Now directly to the draft dodger issue. Looking at all the above, knowing thousands of older fathers gave all they had during WWII the lack of volunteerism in Marion's heart and his ability to get a precious deferment when so many others did not.

If you cant admit he dodged through connections then can we at least say he was Dick Cheney lucky when it comes to being selected to be a patriot in deed not just word?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Breit isnt known for giving the rest of the story so lets review his revivionist spin. The main issues for me are patriotism and sacrifice.

Lets look at the claims that are used to justify his not serving when damn near everyone did.

Age- many 34 year olds died over Germany, in the sands of North Africa, the surf off Pacific atolls.

Injuries- non starter as he never stepped forward to be evaluated. To my mind if there were injuries that limited his ability to serve, as a Patriot he would have VOLUNTEERED and been tested. Ronald Reagan was accepted for limited service due to physical limitations and restricted to Stateside duty and he continued to make movies.

Kids- again this was WWII, not a limited controversial war. Many fathers of multiple kids died for our Nation. There were no blanket deferments like the student deferments Cheney and Nugent took advantage of.

Career- Marion's movie career was just starting to take off. So so Ronald's. So was a true war hero's movie career- Eddie Albert's who was older than marion as well! Another man I hold head and shoulders above the Duke, Jimmy Stewart was both older and had his career just blossoming in '41, fought in the skies over Germany as a Bomber pilot.

Now a cynical man might say Marion saw an opportunity to make money as so many stars joined up and were shipped overseas.

The Duke seems more self centered capitalist than Patriot.

Now directly to the draft dodger issue. Looking at all the above, knowing thousands of older fathers gave all they had during WWII the lack of volunteerism in Marion's heart and his ability to get a precious deferment when so many others did not.

If you cant admit he dodged through connections then can we at least say he was Dick Cheney lucky when it comes to being selected to be a patriot in deed not just word? </div></div>

don't let the facts get in the way of a good theory!

There is no record anywhere of John Twang attempting to enlist. At the outbreak of war, he applied for and received a hardship deferment claiming his income was needed at home. An established actor since at least 1933, and 'he needs money' for his family... Just how much interference Republic Studios ran for him is unclear. Wayne was supposedly willing to follow John Ford, and it was Ford who thought Mr. Twang absolutely had to enlist to right the poor public impression the hardship deferment made. Ford had several conversations pleading with Wayne about it but was never ever able to convince him to join. I think it was one of his wives who made the claim that Wayne became a 'superpatriot' after WWII to try and atone for avoiding military service.

Many have said he was disqualified for service. That's bullshit, too--he didn't have any trouble mounting and riding a horse. He was in his 30's at the breakout of the war. Clark Gable was in his 40's and joined. Robert Montgomery, who was older than Wayne, enlisted while overseas. Bob Hope who was also older, made many volunteer appearances (and overseas near the fronts, too) for the USO starting (at the latest,) in early 1942, I think. Gene Autry enlisted. The list of service peers by age and vocation is endless. Humphrey Bogart was in his middle-40's and too old for active duty, but he helped with USO and war bond drives. That finally brought our hero out as a USO volunteer a few months in 1944.

Say what you want, Wayne avoided military service "voluntarily". There are those who'll claim his representatives acted on his behalf to keep him "safe" or out of the war, blah, blah, blah.... the fact remains--John Wayne personally never acted on his own to positively attain military status. All he hadda do was march his ass down to the recruiting center and say "sign me up and I won't take 'no' for an answer" but there's no record anywhere of the celluloid hero attempting to do that. So...

<span style="font-style: italic">One single, undeniable fact remains--there is no record anywhere of John Wayne wearing a military uniform in the service of his country, just as there is no record that he ever was denied service because of mental, psychological or physical defect. </span>

That grinds the shit out of his fans and they have all kinds of excuses, as did "our hero". He was able enough to do stunt work and mount a horse for another 30 years after the war. Maybe someday his fans will uncover documents in the National Archives or Smithsonian proving he served the nation as an American spy.