• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What do coyotes 'like' hearing this time of year?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Have been out of the hunting loop a while even though I did get 1 coyote 2 nights ago in pitch dark at 380 yards using a clip on. Went out again last night for a few hours and heard/saw absolutely NOTHING; not even a cautious distant coyote or any howls. Absolutely zero.

Since I normally start right at sundown, I lead in with the yipping coyotes which has always worked well as it is a 'pack gathering' call or checking who else is around to go hunting; earlier this year I was getting return calls on more than half of them and it let me know where I needed to work my way over to if I couldn't get them closer - kind of a coyote version of Marco Polo.

Last night, nothing.

Tried to mix it up with different things at different stands, kitten call, lightning jack, pup distress, bird distress, coyote pair. I think at one point I was trying a cougar purr lol and just totally random shit. Got absolutely ZERO and was surprised as there was no wind the entire night, was clear but not bright - perfect for hunting.

What do they like to hear this time of year? I'm assuming that since its hotter here (90+ at night still) that they aren't constantly out running around and aren't starving as food is easier to find than in winter so distress calls are fairly low percentage. Last year's pups are full grown already so they should be around as well.

What do you guys do this time of year or was I just unlucky?

It's a tough time of year. Pups still in dens and they can feed on vegetation and bugs really easy. I went out last weekend on my way up to help at a scout camp and used a fawn distress since fawns are out and about this time of year. Took a whole long minute for one to pretty much be in my lap till I blasted her. But don't be surprised if you don't have too much luck this time of year. It's hot and they're lazy.

It's a tough time of year. Pups still in dens and they can feed on vegetation and bugs really easy. I went out last weekend on my way up to help at a scout camp and used a fawn distress since fawns are out and about this time of year. Took a whole long minute for one to pretty much be in my lap till I blasted her. But don't be surprised if you don't have too much luck this time of year. It's hot and they're lazy.

That's what I was afraid of with the heat and food being pretty easy to come by.

When does the lazy period end; September/October?

Yeah depending where you're at and how fast it cools down. Pups I start to see out in August/September. It can still be really hot here in az til Oct unless I go up north.

Pup distress and kiyi are winners this time of year. You need to try
    to be in area where they can just show themselves to see what's going on. They usually don't come busting but can.

Anytime of the year . coyotes will come to investigate about anything if it peeks interest . last 2 coyotes I shot couple weeks ago were called-in using only Coon calls . primarily Coon pup chatter/distress with a pissed-off Sow mixed-in .
    Coyotes are opportunist 365 days of the year and there curiosity gets them killed just as much as there stomachs growling for rabbit distress calls or other dinner bells typically used as calls by everyone out there .

Yeah depending where you're at and how fast it cools down. Pups I start to see out in August/September. It can still be really hot here in az til Oct unless I go up north.

Same climate as you, southern Utah right on the AZ border. It's still near 100 at night here some days.

Anytime of the year . coyotes will come to investigate about anything if it peeks interest . last 2 coyotes I shot couple weeks ago were called-in using only Coon calls . primarily Coon pup chatter/distress with a pissed-off Sow mixed-in .
    Coyotes are opportunist 365 days of the year and there curiosity gets them killed just as much as there stomachs growling for rabbit distress calls or other dinner bells typically used as calls by everyone out there .

I hear you on that. Was just wondering what to try right now as the last 2 times I saw/heard ZERO. Even if I don't get one I at least hear some or see some sitting way out there that just won't come closer; this was twice in a row where it was like there was nothing around for miles so that left me thinking I was doing something wrong.

Looks like I need to do more pup distress and toss in some deer and maybe a raccoon :D

I wouldn't sweet it . There have been times like that for me every once in a while or probably everyone out there. You go out and you will Never Hear a howl or Coyote movement whole time .
    You just get those nights once in while, and even when hunting field closer to urban areas when an EMS or LE sirens blow close enough to hear . You wont even hear a Coyote light-up for miles, it just dead quiet . I cant explain it but it just happens .
    Just one of those things that just go with the territory when hunting Coyotes . I guess that's why they call it ' Hunting ' and not ' Effortless Slaughter ' . LOLhaha

Its been freakin hot here in eastern Wa. Been out a few times shot one and have heard a bunch but its tuff. My best luck is at first light in the AM. Called in a cow elk this morning with pup distress. I start with a howl and wait for a bit then pup distress. They seem to come in slow with howls, but then sometimes they dont. I've had lots of blank days... no biggie..

You will be best off not to educate any of them on any sound until they are a little more active/desperate/horny/ ect.

You will be best off not to educate any of them on any sound until they are a little more active/desperate/horny/ ect.
    -

I think most people shoot them in the fall & winter months because of there food being a little scarcer (desperation) & you work off there increased activity in hunting and finding food . Plus the 1st year dogs are out running stupid in fall and winter months that are not educated and easy.
    You saying ..."Not to go out and educate them until there desperate or active ". Is not the way to really school-up the learning curve .

Here in my area, I shoot them all year long every season. Calling them-in or not call and just ambush them and wait them-out on there traffic routes . Don't know how 'Desperate' the coyotes are around where you live, but here they are always Hungry, Curious or Screwing for making more pups and you just go out and learn what works for you year round .

Out last Night I watched a couple coyotes while being awed by heat lightning storm for 2 hours and some rain dump on me for few minutes . It was hayed and cleared of Hay Bails and I could clear for few hundred yards in 3 directions . They run all night because it's hot in the few weeks of hot days we actually get here in the NW .
    I was taking notes on there travel path because I knew they are not coming in to a call after I did one and they never even turned there head to see and kept on moving . I was off at least 3 hundred yards and No Moon with my back not highlighted . So I know they never saw me . And that's typical behavior for the few Hot weeks get here when it's in the 90's deg. here in the daytime, with it cooling off in the 70 & high 60's deg. at night .

Right now, Coyotes in the summer with hot weeks around my valleys in NW OR. . They are little funky on there coming-in to calls and they are more . ( describe it as ) "on there own mission ", with there night hunt & travel plans . & I watch them plenty over the years too . I actually have more kills in the couple months of our summer here on just hanging on there travel lanes that run between land and fields and then Pop them while never calling .

I got to say that Coyotes running around in the AG. lands in summer here . Do got a mind of there own and game-plans mapped-out . You wont call them in or coax them in with any call. They got somewhere to go and be and your bit of noise wont sway there plans sometimes .

NW .OR. & Wash. Pups right now in 'August' are NOT in there Dens here in the NW . They are out on there own for there running and building there skills . They might be part of a Den and a family unit, but they are on there own especially all the male pups .

Down here in the southwest rabbit in distress works great. Also because a lot of baby rabbits are around and easy for them to catch in the morning. And in the morning is the best down here for the rabbit squeal. Good luck man.

Howl.....sit tight and be patient. Dominent coyotes will show up. Not out of hunger, or curiosity either. Doesn't hurt to have a decoy dog running around out in front of you either..

Thank me later.