• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition What do you consider the correct twist for the 6mmbr?

cornhusker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2012
Towandaa,Pa
I am so confused on this.Can't seem to get a good honest answer
with going on and on about what barrel what length what diameter.
I will be shooting any where from 200 to maybe 500 tops..
I about ordered the barrel with an 8 twist,but was told by
many a 12 or 14 was good enough...So can some of you please give me
an honest answer about this..I doubt I will be going any more than
500 and there is always the wind to deal with..Thanks...

I like the 8tw as it is good in the wind and there are a bunch of excellent bullets to choose from. If you wanted to use lighter bullets you still can.

I like the 8tw as it is good in the wind and there are a bunch of excellent bullets to choose from. If you wanted to use lighter bullets you still can.

Well,that was my thought as well....But I keep hearing to go with the 1 in 12 or 14 if that is the distance
I will be shooting..I just want to make sure I get the right one from the start.Thanks for your reply..

Going with a slower (higher number than 8) twist will limit your bullet choices to lighter ones. I don't shoot 6mmBR, but my friends who do are very impressed with the new HDY 105gr A-Max. You're going to want that 8-twist for this bullet.

While there can be some disagreement about how well lighter bullets shoot with faster twists, it becomes a bit more difficult to base such disagreements on solid evidence.

Greg

I don't have a 6mmbr, but I just had a 6.5Creedmor built and went through the same delimma about twist rates.
I went with a 1:8" twist because I was planning on shooting the heavier 140gr pills. I agree with Greg's above post...

If I was only shooting 200 to 500 yards I would go with a 12 twist and use the flat-base bullets in the 68-80gr range.
An 8 twist will not shoot the lighter bullets as well as a slower twist designed for them. Years of benchrest competition bears this out.
For 600 to 1,000 yards you need an 8 twist (some go 7.5) and THE bullet is the Berger 105gr Hybrid. Preferably pointed.

I would just go with a 8 twist and not limit yourself like the majority of people have said. A 12 or 14 will work fine for the 200yards but you will probably want a little higher bc bullet for 500-600 yards.

I mostly use an 8tw to shoot the heavy bullets to buck the wind. For 200-300 yards I use my 10tw to shoot the 70-80gr flat base bullets.

My belief is that the bullet should match the twist.

Practical wisdom says that a lighter weight bullet in a slower twist is the best ticket for short-medium distances, but gives up horizontal dispersion to the heavies as distances become extended.

Similarly the heavy bullet/faster twist will peform better 'out there'. But I'm also convinced the what works 'out there' can also work closer in, and that when your rifle likes heavies, stick with heavies at all distances. I think that shooting lighter weight bullets to 'save something' at shorter distances is penny foolishness; a good load at extended range should likewise be a good load closer in.

Greg

Last edited:
I know the flat-based light 6 mm bullets will beat the heavier 100-107 g bullets designed for longer distance at ranges up to 300 yards or 500 yards. pick what you want for the upper limit to be it will be dependent upon the prevailing wind conditions at your home range. The difference in accuracy with the 6mmBR between the heavies and the flat-based bullets will be very hard to see unless you are a dedicated benchrest shooter. I have shot some amazing groups with ny BR and dasher with heavies at 100 yards when load developing or fireforming, I do not think I would have gotten smaller groups with any other bullet as I was the weak point in that system.

Long Story Short: I would go with the 1-8" twist rate so you will be more accurate when the wind starts to rip and only give up a little accuracy in calm conditions.

wade

You can still get the longer bullets, 95-108s to shoot good at 200 with a 8-9 twist, but you sure as hell arent going to get them to shoot good out of a 12 twist out to 500-600yds. Another thing no one mentioned, if youre having a rifle built you should have the chamber cut for a specific bullet, my next 6 Creed is going to have a 104 throat, cut for the 105VLD. Who knows, you might get into 600BR/F class and youll be seriously handicapped with a 12 twist shooting a 68gr bullet.

I think 8tw is the better choice and by reading others posts it seems to be the consensus. Another way to decide what twist is to figure what bullets/weight you want to invest in. If you decide to buy a ton of heavies go 8tw and if you plan on just purchaing lighter bullets stick with a 10tw.

Reactions: Raider4044